Adani pulls out of $553 million US loan deal for Colombo port
An entity majority-owned by embattled billionaire Gautam Adani, who was indicted in US courts last month, has pulled back from a loan pact valued at $553 million from the US International Development Finance Corporation, according to a company filing.
“The project will be financed through the company’s internal accruals and capital management plan. We have withdrawn our request for financing from the DFC,” read the filing issued Monday night, referencing the financing deal for a port terminal in Sri Lanka’s capital that’s being developed by Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone Ltd.
The statement made no mention of the indictment of Adani, Asia’s second-richest man, and other executives of his Adani Group. They were indicted in US courts on charges last month that they paid or promised to pay more than $250 million in bribes to Indian government officials to win solar energy contracts, and concealed the plan as they sought to raise money from US investors. The company has denied the US allegations.
The loan agreement for the terminal in Sri Lanka was signed last year amid US enthusiasm to offer an alternative to China for infrastructure investment in the developing world. It hadn’t yet yielded any disbursement of US financing. Still, construction has begun on the project, which also has local Sri Lankan partners.
The Development Finance Corp. and the White House didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment on the withdrawal statement.
Despite the indictment, the Adani Group has sought to show that it’s conducting business as usual. Its billionaire founder sat close to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi at a public conference Monday, where the group pledged tens of billions of dollars in fresh domestic investment.
DFC officials said previously that they were conducting due diligence and assessing the ramifications of the Department of Justice indictment before any decision on finalizing or canceling the Colombo port financing agreement.
Adani’s sprawling empire, which runs from construction projects to media properties, has been under fire since the DOJ’s announcement, with Kenya canceling $2.6 billion worth of airport and power transmission contracts the tycoon’s conglomerate had pitched for in the hours after the ruling.
Ready to Master Stock Valuation? ET’s Workshop is just around the corner!
The statement made no mention of the indictment of Adani, Asia’s second-richest man, and other executives of his Adani Group. They were indicted in US courts on charges last month that they paid or promised to pay more than $250 million in bribes to Indian government officials to win solar energy contracts, and concealed the plan as they sought to raise money from US investors. The company has denied the US allegations.
The loan agreement for the terminal in Sri Lanka was signed last year amid US enthusiasm to offer an alternative to China for infrastructure investment in the developing world. It hadn’t yet yielded any disbursement of US financing. Still, construction has begun on the project, which also has local Sri Lankan partners.
The Development Finance Corp. and the White House didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment on the withdrawal statement.
Despite the indictment, the Adani Group has sought to show that it’s conducting business as usual. Its billionaire founder sat close to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi at a public conference Monday, where the group pledged tens of billions of dollars in fresh domestic investment.
DFC officials said previously that they were conducting due diligence and assessing the ramifications of the Department of Justice indictment before any decision on finalizing or canceling the Colombo port financing agreement.
Ready to Master Stock Valuation? ET’s Workshop is just around the corner!
Top Comment
s_behari
3 days ago
The headline is laughable.No.US financial institution would give the loan to Adani under the present circumstances .!Read allPost comment
Popular from Business
- Switzerland suspends most favoured nation status to India, cites Nestle verdict
- Three large IPOs record demand worth 2.2L cr
- Gold rally may slow down in 2025: WGC
- India shouldn't build another LLM: Nandan Nilekani
- Switzerland revokes MFN status to India over SC Nestle order
end of article
Trending Stories
- H-1B visas: Approvals for Indian IT firms half since 2015! Elon Musk’s Tesla shows significant increase
- India to be global submarine building hub? Germany’s Thyssenkrupp eyes P75I contract, offers to make submarines here
- Aadhaar Card update for free: Deadline for free update ends on December 14, 2024 - how to update Aadhaar online
- Akasa Air gets funding boost! Azim Premji-Ranjan Pai family offices to buy significant minority stake
- Stock market today: BSE Sensex opens over 200 points down; Nifty50 below 24,500
- New bank account, locker rules soon? Banking Amendment Bill allows up to 4 nominees - check what’s about to change
- Elon Musk becomes first person to surpass $400 billion net worth: Report
Visual Stories
- NEET UG 2024 result awaited: Top 10 NIRF-ranked medical colleges of India
- 7 New Expected Bullet Train Routes in India
- 10 Upcoming High-Speed Expressways That Will Change Highway Travel In India
- 8 Transformational Indian Railways Projects You Shouldn’t Miss
- Why Sensex, Nifty50 Hit New Highs, M-Cap At $5 Trillion: Top Reasons
UP NEXT