GM hit with $6 billion in charges as EV incentives cut and emissions standards fade
General Motors will be hit with charges of about $6 billion as sales of electric vehicles sputter after the US cut tax incentives to buy them and also eased auto emissions standards.
Shares slid almost 3% Friday.
The charges that will be recorded in the fourth quarter follow an announcement in October that the Detroit automaker would take a $1.6 billion charge for the same reason in the previous quarter, with automakers forced to reconsider ambitious plans to convert their fleets to electric power.
The EV tax credit ended in September. The clean vehicle tax credit was worth $7,500 for new EVs and up to $4,000 for used ones.
GM, which had been the most ambitious among all U.S. automakers with plans to replace internal combustion engines, said in its filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission late Thursday that the $6 billion in charges includes non-cash impairments and other non-cash charges of about $1.8 billion as well as supplier commercial settlements, contract cancellation fees, and other charges of approximately $4.2 billion.
EVs have been considered to be the future of the US automotive industry. GM announced in 2020 that it was going to invest $27 billion in electric and autonomous vehicles over the next five years, a 35% increase over plans made before the pandemic.
GM expected more than half of its factories in North America and China would be capable of making electric vehicles by 2030. It also pledged at the time to increase its investment in EV charging networks by nearly $750 million through 2025.
Its goal was to make the vast majority of the vehicles electric by 2035, and the entire company carbon neutral five years after that.
Those plans have been shaken due to the drastic differences in economic and environmental policies between the Biden and Trump administrations.
China has become a global leader in electric vehicle technology in recent years, with factories there churning out millions of cars and laying the groundwork for a massive charging network for vehicles.
Earlier this month, Tesla was dethroned as the world's largest EV automaker, replaced by China's BYD, which produced 2.26 million electric vehicles last year.
Also Friday, Netherlands-based Stellantis, said that due to shifting customer demand it would "phase out plug in hybrid (PHEV) programs in North America beginning with the 2026 model year, and focus on more competitive electrified solutions." Stellantis owns Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler and other carmakers.
The charges that will be recorded in the fourth quarter follow an announcement in October that the Detroit automaker would take a $1.6 billion charge for the same reason in the previous quarter, with automakers forced to reconsider ambitious plans to convert their fleets to electric power.
The EV tax credit ended in September. The clean vehicle tax credit was worth $7,500 for new EVs and up to $4,000 for used ones.
GM, which had been the most ambitious among all U.S. automakers with plans to replace internal combustion engines, said in its filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission late Thursday that the $6 billion in charges includes non-cash impairments and other non-cash charges of about $1.8 billion as well as supplier commercial settlements, contract cancellation fees, and other charges of approximately $4.2 billion.
EVs have been considered to be the future of the US automotive industry. GM announced in 2020 that it was going to invest $27 billion in electric and autonomous vehicles over the next five years, a 35% increase over plans made before the pandemic.
GM expected more than half of its factories in North America and China would be capable of making electric vehicles by 2030. It also pledged at the time to increase its investment in EV charging networks by nearly $750 million through 2025.
Those plans have been shaken due to the drastic differences in economic and environmental policies between the Biden and Trump administrations.
China has become a global leader in electric vehicle technology in recent years, with factories there churning out millions of cars and laying the groundwork for a massive charging network for vehicles.
Earlier this month, Tesla was dethroned as the world's largest EV automaker, replaced by China's BYD, which produced 2.26 million electric vehicles last year.
Also Friday, Netherlands-based Stellantis, said that due to shifting customer demand it would "phase out plug in hybrid (PHEV) programs in North America beginning with the 2026 model year, and focus on more competitive electrified solutions." Stellantis owns Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler and other carmakers.
Popular from Business
- Sensex, Nifty down over 2% in just 5 sessions: All eyes on US Supreme Court ruling on Trump tariffs - what will it mean for markets?
- Stock market crash today: Why has Sensex plunged over 2,100 points, Nifty down over 2% in 5 days? Top 5 reasons explained
- Russian oil purchase: How 500% tariff could upend $120 billion India-US trade - explained
- TCS halts anniversary appraisals over WFO non-compliance
- 500% tariffs ahead for India & China? Trump clears Russia sanctions bill; what it means
end of article
Trending Stories
- "This is an accomplishment": Detroit Red Wings forward Patrick Kane opens up for the first time after scoring his 500th NHL goal
- Is Jayson Tatum playing tonight vs the Toronto Raptors? Latest update on the Boston Celtics star's injury report (January 9, 2026)
- Dana White drops bold verdict on UFC’s greatest rivalry and it’s not Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Conor McGregor
- The story behind Connor Bedard’s rise: Meet Tom and Melanie Bedard, the parents who raised the NHL’s next generational star
- Luke Littler's net worth breakdown: Tournament winnings, commercial partnerships, and how the darts star earns
- Evgenii Dadonov’s net worth: How much wealth has the Russian NHL star gained so far in his career
- Aaron Ekblad net worth: Details on Florida Panthers star’s contracts, career earnings and salary
Featured in Business
07:11 India outlook: Reforms put wind in its sails amid global headwinds; PMO’s Shaktikanta Das maps the road ahead04:03 India–US trade talks: Did a missed Modi–Trump call stall the deal? GTRI flags deeper policy gaps07:12 Sensex, Nifty down over 2% in just 5 sessions: All eyes on US Supreme Court ruling on Trump tariffs - what will it mean for markets?- Budget 2026: PHDCCI pitches green bank to finance renewable energy, EVs and climate tech
- Ask Dhirendra: ‘How much risk is right for me, and why does my risk appetite keep changing?’
- 'Closely following developments’: India watches proposed US tariff bill on Russian oil buyers; what MEA said
Photostories
- Birthday special: Hrithik Roshan’s social media moments with Saba Azad and family
- Birthday Special: Hrithik Roshan’s movies to watch on OTT
- Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah: From calling Dilip Joshi the ‘pillar of the show’ to reacting to Disha Vakani aka Dayaben’s return, Sharad Sankla aka Abdul gets candid
- 7 moon-kissed baby names for your little princess
- Curry-smelling kangaroos to banana bees: 6 animals that surprisingly smell like food
- What teachers wish parents understood
- ‘Hum Paanch’, ‘Dekh Bhai Dekh’, 'Yes Boss': Top TV comedy shows from the 90
- What students learn in school beyond the syllabus
- From ‘Highway’ to ‘Chhichhore’: 5 times mainstream films embraced unconventional characters
- Sadhguru's Drumstick Soup is a winter must-have; recipe inside
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment