US airlines warn of disruption as DHS suspends PreCheck, Global Entry during shutdown

US airlines warn of disruption as DHS suspends PreCheck, Global Entry during shutdown
Major US airlines have expressed concern over travel disruptions after the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) decided to temporarily suspend its PreCheck and Global Entry programmes amid an ongoing government shutdown.The suspension will take effect from 6 a.m. ET (1100 GMT) on Sunday, days after a partial shutdown began following the failure of Republicans and Democrats to reach an agreement on immigration enforcement reforms, news agency Reuters reported.Airlines said travellers received very little advance warning about the move, leaving many with limited time to adjust their travel plans. “Airlines for America is deeply concerned that ... the traveling public will be, once again, used as a political football amid another government shutdown,” Chief Executive Chris Sununu said, urging Congress to “get a deal done.”Sununu added that a similar shutdown last fall caused losses of $6.1 billion across the travel industry and related sectors.Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem said airport and border agencies would prioritise general passenger movement while suspending “courtesy and special privilege escorts.”
“We are making tough but necessary workforce and resource decisions to mitigate the damage,” she said in a DHS statement.The suspension forms part of emergency steps taken by DHS to redirect staffing resources after Congress failed to approve additional funding, according to a Washington Post report.The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) said the PreCheck programme had more than 20 million active members in 2024, while total vetted travellers across DHS programmes, including Global Entry, exceeded 40 million.PreCheck allows approved passengers to use dedicated fast-track security lanes at US airports, while Global Entry expedites customs and immigration clearance for pre-approved, low-risk international travellers entering the United States.The move follows orders from the Trump administration last week directing the Federal Emergency Management Agency to suspend deployment of aid workers to disaster-affected areas during the shutdown.
author
About the AuthorTOI Business Desk

The TOI Business Desk is a vigilant and dedicated team of journalists committed to delivering the latest and most relevant business news from around the world to readers of The Times of India. The primary focus of the TOI Business Desk is to keep a watchful eye on the global business landscape, covering a wide spectrum of industries, markets, economic trends, in-depth analysis, exclusive reports and breaking stories that impact businesses and economies. With a mission to provide valuable insights and updates, the desk ensures that TOI readers are well-informed about the ever-changing and dynamic world of commerce and can navigate the complexities of the business world.

End of Article
Follow Us On Social Media