US clears $16.46bn arms deal for UAE, Kuwait amid escalating Iran war
The United States on Thursday approved $16.46 billion in military sales to the United Arab Emirates and Kuwait, as Washington moves to bolster key Gulf allies impacted by the fallout from the Iran war.Meanwhile, the Pentagon has reportedly requested an additional $200 billion from the White House to fund the war, a senior administration official said, as cited by AP. The additional $200 billion request marks an exceptionally large increase, coming on top of the extra funding the US department of defence secured last year under President Donald Trump’s sweeping tax cuts legislation.Asked about the figure at a press conference on Thursday, US defence secretary Pete Hegseth did not confirm the amount, saying it remained subject to change.“It takes money to kill bad guys,” Hegseth said.He added that “we’re going back to Congress and our folks there to ensure that we’re properly funded.”House speaker Mike Johnson called it a “dangerous time” and said “we have to adequately fund defense.”When asked if he backed the proposed amount, he said he had not reviewed the details, adding, “I support what’s needed to ensure that the American people remain safe.”
End of Article