NEW DELHI: India and Oman strengthened their growing strategic defence partnership through a specialised military training initiative conducted by two Indian Mobile Training Teams (IMTT) for personnel of the Sultan’s Armed Forces (SAF) of Oman.
The training programmes, held amid the ongoing West Asia crisis, were led by officers from Headquarters Integrated Defence Staff (HQ IDS) along with personnel from the Indian Army, Navy and Air Force.
The initiative focused on operational coordination and joint logistics preparedness.
In a post on X, HQ IDS said, “Strengthening India–Oman defence cooperation. Two Indian Mobile Training Teams (#IMTT) comprising officers from #HQIDS and the three Services successfully conducted training for personnel of the Sultan’s Armed Forces (SAF), Oman.”
Around 110 Omani officers participated
Around 110 officers from the Royal Army, Royal Navy and Royal Air Force of Oman, along with officials from Oman’s ministry of defence agencies, participated in the programme.
The HQ IDS statement added, “Around 110 officers from the Royal Army, Royal Navy, Royal Air Force of Oman and MoD agencies participated in operational and joint logistics training, reinforcing interoperability and the India-Oman Strategic Partnership.”
The initiative is aimed at improving interoperability and strengthening military coordination between the two countries amid evolving regional security challenges.
Jaishankar recently discussed West Asia crisis with Oman
The development comes days after external affairs minister S Jaishankar held a telephonic conversation with Omani foreign minister Sayyid Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi on May 18.
The two leaders discussed recent developments related to the ongoing West Asia crisis as well as bilateral cooperation between India and Oman.
Jaishankar said in a post on X, “Good to speak today with FM Sayyid Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi of Oman. Discussed recent developments in West Asia as well as various aspects of our bilateral cooperation.”
India condemned attack on ship off Oman coast
Earlier this month, India had condemned an attack on an Indian-flagged commercial vessel off the coast of Oman amid tensions in West Asia.
MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal described the attack as “unacceptable” and stressed the importance of protecting commercial shipping and civilian mariners in regional waters.
“The attack on an Indian-flagged ship off the coast of Oman yesterday is unacceptable, and we deplore the fact that commercial shipping and civilian mariners continue to be targeted,” the statement said.
MEA confirmed that all Indian crew members aboard the vessel were safe following rescue efforts carried out by Omani authorities.
The TOI News Desk comprises a dedicated and tireless team of jour...
Read MoreThe TOI News Desk comprises a dedicated and tireless team of journalists who operate around the clock to deliver the most current and comprehensive news and updates to the readers of The Times of India worldwide. With an unwavering commitment to excellence in journalism, our team is at the forefront of gathering, verifying, and presenting breaking news, in-depth analysis, and insightful reports on a wide range of topics. The TOI News Desk is your trusted source for staying informed and connected to the ever-evolving global landscape, ensuring that our readers are equipped with the latest developments that matter most."
Read Less
Follow Us On Social Media