This story is from December 28, 2022
Govt likely to make negative RT-PCR report mandatory for passengers arriving from China, 5 other places from next week: Sources
NEW DELHI: The government is likely to make it mandatory for passengers arriving from China and five other places to have negative RT-PCR reports from next week, official sources said on Wednesday. They also cautioned that the next 40 days will be crucial as India may see a Covid surge in January.
Even if there is a wave, deaths and hospitalisation will be very low, Health Ministry sources said.
"Previously, it has been noticed that a new wave of Covid-19 hits India around 30-35 days after it hits East Asia.... This has been a trend," an official said.
The sources said filling up of 'air suvidha' forms and 72-hour prior RT-PCR testing may be made mandatory from next week for international passengers coming from China, Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, Thailand and Singapore.
The sources said 39 international passengers were found positive for Covid-19 out of the 6,000 tested on arrival in the last two days.
Union health minister Mansukh Mandaviya will visit the airport in Delhi on Thursday to take stock of testing and screening facilities there, they said.
The proposed tightening of Covid guidelines and warning of a fresh surge come days after Mandaviya asked Congress leader Rahul Gandhi to consider suspending the Bharat Jodo Yatra if Covid-19 protocols could not be followed.
The yatra, currently on winter break, will resume on January 3.
Amid a spike in Covid-19 cases in some countries, including China and South Korea, the government has sounded an alert and asked states and Union territories to prepare for any eventuality.
Following the surge, the government made random coronavirus testing mandatory for two per cent of passengers arriving in each international flight from Saturday.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and health minister Mandaviya have held meetings to assess the country's preparedness to deal with a fresh surge in cases.
Mock drills were held at health facilities across India on Tuesday to check operational readiness to deal with any spurt in COVID-19 infection, with Union Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya saying the country has to remain alert and prepared as cases are rising in the world.
The latest spike in cases is being driven by Omicron sub-variant BF.7.
The official sources said the transmissibility of this BF.7 sub-variant is very high. A person infected with the sub-variant can further infect 16 persons.
"Previously, it has been noticed that a new wave of Covid-19 hits India around 30-35 days after it hits East Asia.... This has been a trend," an official said.
The sources said filling up of 'air suvidha' forms and 72-hour prior RT-PCR testing may be made mandatory from next week for international passengers coming from China, Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, Thailand and Singapore.
The sources said 39 international passengers were found positive for Covid-19 out of the 6,000 tested on arrival in the last two days.
Union health minister Mansukh Mandaviya will visit the airport in Delhi on Thursday to take stock of testing and screening facilities there, they said.
The proposed tightening of Covid guidelines and warning of a fresh surge come days after Mandaviya asked Congress leader Rahul Gandhi to consider suspending the Bharat Jodo Yatra if Covid-19 protocols could not be followed.
Amid a spike in Covid-19 cases in some countries, including China and South Korea, the government has sounded an alert and asked states and Union territories to prepare for any eventuality.
Following the surge, the government made random coronavirus testing mandatory for two per cent of passengers arriving in each international flight from Saturday.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and health minister Mandaviya have held meetings to assess the country's preparedness to deal with a fresh surge in cases.
Mock drills were held at health facilities across India on Tuesday to check operational readiness to deal with any spurt in COVID-19 infection, with Union Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya saying the country has to remain alert and prepared as cases are rising in the world.
The latest spike in cases is being driven by Omicron sub-variant BF.7.
The official sources said the transmissibility of this BF.7 sub-variant is very high. A person infected with the sub-variant can further infect 16 persons.
Top Comment
mmmm
699 days ago
Already it is late. GOI should expedite it and stop all modes of arrival from VIRUS-China. Prevention is better than cure.Read allPost comment
Popular from India
- 'EVM tampered when you lose': Supreme Court junks ballot plea
- Maharashtra govt formation: 'Don't gather to clamour for CM post', Shinde tells Sena workers
- Russia eyes India for train manufacturing to meet some domestic demand
- 'Pre-election deal for CM post': Shinde Sena leader's remark revives memories of Uddhav's claim in 2019
- India-Bangladesh tensions mount as Hindu priest jailed for 'sedition'
end of article
Trending Stories
- IPL Auction 2025: Full and final list of sold and unsold players across all teams
- RCB squad, IPL 2025: Royal Challengers Bengaluru final team and projected XI with full list of players and price tags after IPL mega auction
- CSK squad, IPL 2025: Chennai Super Kings final team and projected XI with full list of players and price tags after IPL mega auction
- MI squad, IPL 2025: Mumbai Indians final team and projected XI with full list of players and price tags after IPL mega auction
- IMD issues red alert for heavy rainfall in 3 Tamil Nadu districts; yellow alert for Chennai
- ‘Replace Jew with Brahmin’: How participants became ‘anti-Hindu’ after DEI training
- 'Loyalty is very expensive': Nitish Rana's wife criticises KKR After IPL 2025 Auction snub
Visual Stories
- 10 ways to use pumpkin seeds
- 7 things that boys learn from their moms
- 10 Indian breakfast dishes loved across the world
- How to grow onion and garlic on your kitchen window
- Kid-friendly wildlife experiences in India
UP NEXT