NEW DELHI: India will contribute $2.3 million every year to the Fulbright scholars programme with the US and match the US contribution and attempt to bring more scholars from the two countries under its ambit. This has been decided in principle with the Indian government, the US ambassador to India, David Mulford, told reporters here on Monday.Both countries have also decided to step out of the constraints of government funding and solicit private sector funding for Fulbright projects and scholars, to and from India.
In agreeing to this, Mulford said, India was only doing what is now accepted as the norm with many other countries who also administer the Fulbright programme with the US.
After several decades of operation, both countries have decided to clean up the administration of the high-demand scholarships and try to make it easier for students, scholars and faculty in India and the US to use this facility to widen their skills and exposure to intellectual and educational resources. The Indian government was hit last year by allegations that it took an inordinately long time to process visas for Fulbright scholars.