The
NFL is not preparing for any big rule changes in the new season. As the Competition Committee gathers this week, the message from inside league circles is steady and measured. Officials believe the sport sits in a stable spot.
That calm extends to the much-debated tush push ban and replay talks. After last year’s heated arguments, no team has stepped forward with a fresh proposal. For now, the tush push decision remains untouched, and that alone sets the tone for what could be a quiet offseason on the rules front.
NFL leans toward stability as Tush Push ban stalls and replay tweaks dominate agenda
On Feb. 22, 2026, Competition Committee co-chairman Rich McKay addressed reporters at the start of meetings. “There’s no team proposal that I’ve seen from it,” McKay said, via veteran reporter Mark Maske. “So I wouldn’t envision it. But you never know.” His comments made one thing clear: there is no active push for a tush push ban.
That marks a sharp contrast from the 2025 offseason. Back then, the Green Bay Packers led an effort to outlaw the play. The proposal earned 22 votes but fell short of the 24 required to pass. Without a new filing from any of the 32 teams this year, the tush push decision effectively stands.
Meanwhile, the play itself remains part of the Philadelphia Eagles' and others' game plan.
Debate over false starts and forward progress did not disappear, but defences adjusted better as the 2025 season progressed. Back in November, after a defeat to the Chicago Bears, QB Jalen Hurts admitted it was “becoming tougher and tougher” to execute following a costly fumble. That shift may have cooled the urgency to revisit the rule.
Also, NFL analyst Adam Schefter confirms that no tush push ban is there in his X post that reads, "Despite the incessant tush push debate, there’s no guarantee for a new vote this off-season, sources tell ESPN "
Beyond the tush push ban debate, the committee has turned its focus to replay and catch rules. McKay told Judy Battista of NFL Network that “the game is in a good place,” signalling limited appetite for sweeping reform. At the same time, officials are studying whether replay could allow a flag to be added for a missed call, a move that would significantly affect in-game enforcement.
Special team's safety also remains on the agenda, particularly concussion concerns on kickoffs. However, there are no active discussions about replacing the onside kick with a fourth-and-15 alternative.
Taken together, the direction feels clear. The NFL sees stability, not crisis. The tush push decision holds firm, replay may get fine-tuning, and 2026 is shaping up as a season of subtle adjustments rather than bold change.