$75 million jackpot! Australian Open prize pool soars, sets new benchmark for Grand Slams
Players competing at this month’s Australian Open will battle for the richest prize money in the tournament’s history, with organisers on Tuesday announcing a 16 percent increase in the total purse to a record Aus$111.5 million (US$75 million).
Go Beyond The Boundary with our YouTube channel. SUBSCRIBE NOW!
The winners of the men’s and women’s singles events at the first Grand Slam of the year will each earn Aus$4.15 million (US$2.79 million), a 19 percent rise from last year’s Aus$3.5 million. The boost underlines Tennis Australia’s push to make the sport financially sustainable not just for champions, but for players across the draw.
Those eliminated in the first round of the main draw will receive Aus$150,000, while even players knocked out in the opening round of qualifying will take home Aus$40,500, ensuring meaningful earnings at every stage of the competition.
Tournament director Craig Tiley said the increase reflects a long-term commitment to supporting professional tennis careers. “From boosting qualifying prize money by 55 percent since 2023 to enhancing player benefits, we're ensuring professional tennis is sustainable for all competitors,” Tiley said. “By supporting players at all levels, we're building deeper talent pools and more compelling storylines for fans.”
The Australian Open begins at Melbourne Park on January 18, with Jannik Sinner and Madison Keys returning to defend their singles titles.
Get the latest WPL 2026 updates including WPL teams, full WPL 2026 schedule, and live scores for Mumbai Indians, Royal Challengers Bengaluru, UP Warriorz, Gujarat Giants, and Delhi Capitals. Also check the latest WPL Orange Cap and Purple Cap standings.
The winners of the men’s and women’s singles events at the first Grand Slam of the year will each earn Aus$4.15 million (US$2.79 million), a 19 percent rise from last year’s Aus$3.5 million. The boost underlines Tennis Australia’s push to make the sport financially sustainable not just for champions, but for players across the draw.
Those eliminated in the first round of the main draw will receive Aus$150,000, while even players knocked out in the opening round of qualifying will take home Aus$40,500, ensuring meaningful earnings at every stage of the competition.
Tournament director Craig Tiley said the increase reflects a long-term commitment to supporting professional tennis careers. “From boosting qualifying prize money by 55 percent since 2023 to enhancing player benefits, we're ensuring professional tennis is sustainable for all competitors,” Tiley said. “By supporting players at all levels, we're building deeper talent pools and more compelling storylines for fans.”
The Australian Open begins at Melbourne Park on January 18, with Jannik Sinner and Madison Keys returning to defend their singles titles.
Get the latest WPL 2026 updates including WPL teams, full WPL 2026 schedule, and live scores for Mumbai Indians, Royal Challengers Bengaluru, UP Warriorz, Gujarat Giants, and Delhi Capitals. Also check the latest WPL Orange Cap and Purple Cap standings.
Popular from Sports
- Mustafizur Rahman row: Pakistan offers to host Bangladesh's T20 World Cup matches amid venue standoff with India
- WPL: RCB players take morning walk on Indian road; video goes viral
- Australian Open: When Sachin Tendulkar's childhood idol became the first to be disqualified from a Grand Slam
- ‘We want to play’: Star Bangladesh batter voices players' plea as T20 World Cup standoff deepens
- Shubman Gill wants Test regulars to play Ranji Trophy, firms up 2027 ODI World Cup plans
end of article
Featured in sports
- IND vs NZ T20I: India crush New Zealand, win by 48 runs
- Bangladesh face T20 WC exit: ICC rejects venue shift request; votes to replace team
- When 'blood spread at crease' and Ganguly used all 11 players as bowlers in Test
- 'Pata nahi kab khelne ko milega': Samson breaks silence on missed chances - Watch
- 19 innings, no fifty: Is 'lap shot' behind SKY’s lean patch? Ex-cricketer decodes
- Pakistan offers to host Bangladesh's T20 WC matches amid standoff with India
International Sports
- Hailee Steinfeld breaks silence after Buffalo Bills loss as Sean McDermott firing shakes Josh Allen’s world
- ‘Top Target’ Brian Daboll Is Back in the Bills Mix After Sean McDermott Firing, per Report
- Bo Nix injury update: Will Broncos QB play this week in the NFL Conference Championship?
- ‘This Whole … Is Getting a Little Absurd’: Kelly Stafford Blasts Rams Ticket Hassle Ahead of Seahawks Game
- Anthony Lynn quickly surfaces as an early contender in the Bills’ search to replace Sean McDermott
Trending Stories
- John Harbaugh’s wife Ingrid turns heads during Giants’ headline-making entrance
- MLB trade rumors: New York Mets might acquire $10 million Philadelphia Phillies star to bolster team before deadline
- IND vs NZ T20I: India crush New Zealand, win by 48 runs
- Head coach Kris Knoblauch addresses Edmonton Oilers' mentality after 2-1 loss to New Jersey Devils
- ‘Top Target’ Brian Daboll Is Back in the Bills Mix After Sean McDermott Firing, per Report
- Fortnite v39.30 update release time for all regions
- Highguard Minimum and Recommended system requirements for PC
Photostories
- Unseen gems: Rare photos of Rajesh Khanna
- Laughter Chefs Season 3 to bring major changes: OG Arjun Bijlani, Ankita Lokhande–Vicky Jain return as Team Kaanta vs Churi ends
- Japanese Ambassador relishes biryani with bare hands: 6 times global leaders have shown love for Indian food
- 10 Asian cities with the longest commute time to work
- 2 Indian chicken dishes among top 17 in the world
- Daily practices you can do for planetary balance
- How to make Chilli Paneer for evening snacking at home
- Basant Panchami 2026 outfit ideas: Bollywood celebrities prove yellow is still the power colour
- Hop-on, hop-off: Bengaluru welcomes double-decker buses after 26 years
- Bengaluru airport rail link set to decongest city roads; K-ride gets green light
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment