Continue on TOI App
Open App
OPEN APP

Syngenta withdraws China IPO application

BEIJING: Swiss agrichemicals and seeds group Syngenta has withdrawn its application to list on the Shanghai Stock Exchange, the company said on Friday.

Tired of too many ads?go ad free now
The IPO, which would have valued the Sinochem-owned company at about $60 billion, has been postponed repeatedly since being proposed in 2021 due to unfavourable market conditions.

"After careful consideration of industry environment and the company's own development strategy, Syngenta Group has decided to withdraw its application for IPO on the main board of the Shanghai Stock Exchange," the company said in a statement.

The company added that it will look to restart the listing process either in China or on a different global exchange, when the conditions are right and explore alternative sources of funding.

The Shanghai Exchange said in a filing that the bourse had terminated its review of Syngenta's IPO application after the company applied to withdraw it.

Company executives had said as recently as November last year that the company planned to list in 2024, with the offering expected to raise $10 billion.
Tired of too many ads?go ad free now

Weak demand in key markets such as Brazil has seen the company's earnings slide.

Sales in the three months to the end of September 2023 fell 13% to $6.8 billion, while earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation plunged 68% to $300 million.

Stay informed with the latest Business News on Times of India. Explore updates on International Business, gain insights with Financial Literacy tips, and make use of Financial Calculators. Don’t forget to check the list of Bank Holidays in 2025, including Bank Holidays in January.


Ready to Master Stock Valuation? ET’s Workshop is just around the corner!
Continue Reading
Follow Us On Social Media
end of article
More Trending Stories
Visual Stories
More Visual Stories
UP NEXT
Do Not Sell Or Share My Personal Information