This story is from August 21, 2024
6 remaining accused sentenced to life term in 1992 Ajmer rape-blackmail case
AJMER: A Pocso court in Ajmer sentenced six remaining accused in the notorious 1992 Ajmer rape and blackmail case to life imprisonment on Tuesday. The court also imposed a penalty of Rs 5 lakh on each of the convicts. The Rs 30 lakh collected from the six convicts will be distributed equally to the rape survivors.
Pocso court judge Ranjan Singh also ordered compensation to be paid to the rape survivors by directing the district legal aid authority to deposit Rs 7 lakh in the bank accounts of each of them within 30 days of receiving a copy of the judgment. For survivors who do not have a bank account, the authority has been directed to open accounts and deposit compensation.
"Though the pain of the rape survivors will not end, some of their pain will subside," the judge said in his order. The order stated that the national legal aid authority has fixed compensation in crimes against minors from Rs 4 lakh to Rs 7 lakh. In this case, the crime against the accused has been proven in court and the rape survivors have faced severe physical and mental stress. Therefore, Rs 7 lakh compensation has been ordered.
The case, which had been on for 32 years, involved a total of 18 accused, with 12 of them being awarded life terms by the trial court in 1998. The Rajasthan high court later reduced their sentences to 12 years in jail and acquitted four of them in 2001, while the Supreme Court further reduced the sentence to 10 years. One of the accused committed suicide and one convict escaped while on parole and Interpol issued a red notice against him.
The six individuals sentenced on Tuesday were Nafees Chisty, Naseem Chisty, alias Tarzan, Iqbal Bhati, Saleem Gani Chisty, Sohail Gani Chisty and Sayeed Jameer Hussain. They had initially fled during trial and had been declared absconders. They eventually surrendered one by one, with Sohail Gani being the last to give himself up, after 29 years.
The prosecution team, led by additional director of prosecution Virendra Singh Rathore, worked tirelessly to bring the remaining accused to justice. "Our team worked day and night to get justice for the rape survivors in this heinous case; today we feel relieved," Rathore said, adding, "The accused tried to benefit from the long duration of the case but our team worked to put all the pieces of evidence together."
The case first came to light in May 1992 when a local newspaper reported the rapes and blackmailing of school and college girls in Ajmer. It was revealed that a student was initially drugged, raped and photographed at a farmhouse on the outskirts of the city.
Stay updated with the latest news on Times of India. Don't miss daily games like Crossword, Sudoku, Location Guesser and Mini Crossword.
"Though the pain of the rape survivors will not end, some of their pain will subside," the judge said in his order. The order stated that the national legal aid authority has fixed compensation in crimes against minors from Rs 4 lakh to Rs 7 lakh. In this case, the crime against the accused has been proven in court and the rape survivors have faced severe physical and mental stress. Therefore, Rs 7 lakh compensation has been ordered.
The case, which had been on for 32 years, involved a total of 18 accused, with 12 of them being awarded life terms by the trial court in 1998. The Rajasthan high court later reduced their sentences to 12 years in jail and acquitted four of them in 2001, while the Supreme Court further reduced the sentence to 10 years. One of the accused committed suicide and one convict escaped while on parole and Interpol issued a red notice against him.
The six individuals sentenced on Tuesday were Nafees Chisty, Naseem Chisty, alias Tarzan, Iqbal Bhati, Saleem Gani Chisty, Sohail Gani Chisty and Sayeed Jameer Hussain. They had initially fled during trial and had been declared absconders. They eventually surrendered one by one, with Sohail Gani being the last to give himself up, after 29 years.
The prosecution team, led by additional director of prosecution Virendra Singh Rathore, worked tirelessly to bring the remaining accused to justice. "Our team worked day and night to get justice for the rape survivors in this heinous case; today we feel relieved," Rathore said, adding, "The accused tried to benefit from the long duration of the case but our team worked to put all the pieces of evidence together."
The case first came to light in May 1992 when a local newspaper reported the rapes and blackmailing of school and college girls in Ajmer. It was revealed that a student was initially drugged, raped and photographed at a farmhouse on the outskirts of the city.
Stay updated with the latest news on Times of India. Don't miss daily games like Crossword, Sudoku, Location Guesser and Mini Crossword.
Top Comment
Muchhandar
127 days ago
How were he criminals allowed to go on bail when they were eloping? Judiciary needs lots of reforms.Read allPost comment
Popular from City
- How a WhatsApp reply to ‘boss’ cost an accountant Rs 56 lakh
- Pushpa, story of red sanders smuggler, rakes in Rs 1,500 crore, but Andhra Pradesh finds no takers for timber
- 'Do you dress as Lord Ram?': Zomato delivery agent coerced to remove Santa costume in Indore
- Condom ad spoils mood at IIT-Bombay fest, pulled out
- Mumbai cabbie charges NRI Rs 2,800 for 10-minute ride with fake app, held
end of article
Trending Stories
- Musk wants to create in Texas what no other company has ever done
- Travis Kelce’s $6 million mansion undergoes major security upgrades to ensure Taylor Swift’s peace of mind and safety
- Roger Goodell faces backlash as Chiefs break 97-year NFL tradition on Christmas
- British-Indian writer says he had a chat with Luigi Mangione: 'His major concern was...'
- “Couldn't relate”: Travis Kelce did not mince words when it came to his feelings on watching Taylor Swift's favourite movie Love Actually
- Michael Jordan's ex-wife Juanita Vanoy wishes her son Marcus Jordan on his birthday with a heartwarming message on Instagram, Marcus responds: "Love you ma!"
- “Absolutely ridiculous”: Keanu Reeves provided a humorous response to the rumor that the Ravens offered him a chance at quarterback
Visual Stories
- How to make Masala Chicken Curry at home
- 10 beautiful animals that are pink in colour
- 10 easy-to-care-for beautiful freshwater fish for home aquariums
- 9 vegetarian dishes shine in the ‘100 Best Dishes in the World’ list
- 10 rare animals found only in Asia
TOP TRENDS
UP NEXT