9 juveniles among 13 caught for phone theft at Bengaluru's M Chinnaswamy Stadium
BENGALURU: City police have arrested 13 persons, including nine juveniles from Jharkhand, for allegedly stealing at least 70 mobile phones from spectators during the IPL inaugural match at M Chinnaswamy Stadium on March 28.
On the night of the match, several spectators approached Cubbon Park police reporting the theft of their mobile phones. Suspecting an organised gang, and noting similar incidents during IPL matches in Chennai and Mumbai last year, police formed special teams to investigate the case.
Using digital evidence, officers traced and arrested one of the key accused, Shubham Kumar, 26, from Jharkhand. He was found staying in a hotel near Shivajinagar. During interrogation, Kumar confessed that he, along with a group of minors, had travelled to Bengaluru two days before the match with the sole intention of stealing mobile phones in and around the stadium.
Based on his statement, police detained three minor boys and recovered 21 stolen phones from them. The juveniles were later sent to a juvenile home.
Investigations initially hit a setback after other suspects fled the city. However, police tracked them and sent teams to Jharkhand and Odisha, where the remaining accused were arrested.
Apart from Shubham Kumar, the arrested include Eshan Kumar, 23, Sanjeeth Kumar, 24, and Sohan Kumar, 23. Police recovered a total of 75 mobile phones, of which 70 were stolen and five belonged to the accused.
DCP (Central) Akshay M Hakay said the four adult accused were produced before a local court and taken into police custody. "We are verifying their antecedents to see whether they have been involved in similar crimes in other places or only in Bengaluru," he said.
Police said most thefts occurred inside the stadium near gates 1, 2 and 3, and at stand P3. Additional incidents were reported near Cubbon Park Metro station as crowds exited after the match.
Victims lose money in fake IPL ticket website
City police have registered a suo motu case against miscreants duping public of money on the pretext of selling online tickets to Sunday's IPL match between Royal Challengers Bengaluru (RCB) and Chennai Super Kings (CSK).
The case has been registered with Hulimavu police station. According to a preliminary assessment, at least six victims have lost around Rs 50,000 through the fake website under the name ‘IPL Dhamaka Sale', said DCP (Electronics City), M Narayana.
The complaint registered by constable Ramakrishna, who works in the cybercrime wing, said, "On Saturday, while surfing Facebook, I came across a link, announcing that they are selling tickets for Sunday's IPL match. The original website run by the authorities had clearly mentioned that all the tickets were sold out. The fake website is duping victims of money with false promises of IPL tickets."
Cops trace, arrest Jharkhand accused Shubham Kumar, 26
Using digital evidence, officers traced and arrested one of the key accused, Shubham Kumar, 26, from Jharkhand. He was found staying in a hotel near Shivajinagar. During interrogation, Kumar confessed that he, along with a group of minors, had travelled to Bengaluru two days before the match with the sole intention of stealing mobile phones in and around the stadium.
Based on his statement, police detained three minor boys and recovered 21 stolen phones from them. The juveniles were later sent to a juvenile home.
Investigations initially hit a setback after other suspects fled the city. However, police tracked them and sent teams to Jharkhand and Odisha, where the remaining accused were arrested.
Apart from Shubham Kumar, the arrested include Eshan Kumar, 23, Sanjeeth Kumar, 24, and Sohan Kumar, 23. Police recovered a total of 75 mobile phones, of which 70 were stolen and five belonged to the accused.
Police said most thefts occurred inside the stadium near gates 1, 2 and 3, and at stand P3. Additional incidents were reported near Cubbon Park Metro station as crowds exited after the match.
Victims lose money in fake IPL ticket website
City police have registered a suo motu case against miscreants duping public of money on the pretext of selling online tickets to Sunday's IPL match between Royal Challengers Bengaluru (RCB) and Chennai Super Kings (CSK).
The case has been registered with Hulimavu police station. According to a preliminary assessment, at least six victims have lost around Rs 50,000 through the fake website under the name ‘IPL Dhamaka Sale', said DCP (Electronics City), M Narayana.
Bengaluru cops book fake IPL website scam; Rs 50K duped
The complaint registered by constable Ramakrishna, who works in the cybercrime wing, said, "On Saturday, while surfing Facebook, I came across a link, announcing that they are selling tickets for Sunday's IPL match. The original website run by the authorities had clearly mentioned that all the tickets were sold out. The fake website is duping victims of money with false promises of IPL tickets."
You Can Also Check: Bengaluru AQI
|
Bank Holidays in Bengaluru |
Gold Rate Today in Bengaluru |
Silver Rate Today in Bengaluru
Popular from City
- MetroLite network to be 60 km, to also cover Prayagraj airport
- Delhi woman catches fiance with another woman in Noida; dramatic car chase ends in her death
- 9 members of a family, including 6 children, dead as car falls into water-filled well
- Bengaluru IBM techie jumps to death from 17th floor after finding husband dead inside locked room
- FSSAI files FIR against social media handles of influencers, claims bid to harm reputation with online posts
end of article
Trending Stories
- US-Israel-Iran War News Live Updates: 'Can’t comment, hope that’s not going to happen' — Trump on missing pilot reports in Iran
- 'Your sons more in danger with Trump': Iran tells US pilot's mother it doesn't treat POWs 'like your savage allies'
- 'Unjust Iranian aggression': Kuwait's ministries complex building targeted in 'hostile' drone attack; watch
- Raghav Chadha deleted social media posts critical of PM Modi, BJP: AAP
- Trump considering firing FBI director Kash Patel according to White House officials
- EC official 'caught on cam' with BJP material
- Saudi Arabia travel ban: New ministry rules bring up to SR30,000 fine, 5-year ban for restricted countries
Featured in city
- 'Betrayed Punjab': AAP flays Raghav Chadha’s silence on state issues after his 'ghatak hoon' remark
- 2 murders in Bengaluru: 26-year-old man found dead on pavement; brawl turns fatal in JC Nagar
- Search ops for missing Kerala trekker in Kodagu draws a blank
- UP man killed serving in Russian army, kin allege coercive recruitment
- 12-year-old boy exposes mother, sister's plot to kill father in Uttarakhand; both held
- Courier parcels from France, Belgium fuelled drug racket across Indian cities
Photostories
- 200 kg of artificially ripened mangoes seized in Hyderabad: FSSAI's guidelines on artificial fruit ripening and 8 smart ways to check purity at home
- Hailee Steinfeld and Josh Allen’s love story: Inside their journey from first sightings to family of three
- Top vegetarian sources of vitamin D and how to eat them to gain maximum benefits
- 7 indoor herbs you can grow near a sunny window
- Baby names inspired by virtues
- Hidden sodium in everyday foods: How excess salt raises blood pressure and simple ways to reduce intake
- 7 pricey ingredients you can easily make at home
- Lord Ganesha mantras that you should chant everyday
- 'Friends', 'Breaking Bad', 'The Office' and more: Iconic TV quotes and catchphrases that became a part of everyday life
- Five funniest sitcom characters ever: George Costanza, Michael Scott and more
Videos
03:52 ‘Will Take It To Kolkata’: Pak Minister Khawaja Asif’s Fresh Threat After Rajnath's Stern Warning04:07 Big Reveal: ISI Behind Chandigarh Attack, Global Terror Links Surface21:39 "Living In Fear": Indian Family In Bahrain Amid Escalating Iran War- ‘Genius Move’: Ex-US Pilot Hails India’s Ploy To Use Rafale Decoys In Op Sindoor To Fool Pakistan
03:29 India Buys Iranian Oil After 7 Years, No Payment Hurdles Reported05:39 “Violation Of Article 21”: Owaisi Slams UCC, Says It Interferes With Religious Freedom03:51 Amid Strait Of Hormuz Tensions, Iran Calls India A ‘Cherished Partner’ As Ships Transit Safely17:32 ‘Three Allegations, Zero Truth’: Raghav Chadha Counters AAP After Shock Deputy Leader Snub09:39 ‘Came Through Solidly’: S Jaishankar Flags Global Risks, Says India Emerged Resilient Amid Crisis
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment