This story is from May 29, 2024
Karnataka govt orders CID probe into official's suicide
BENGALURU/SHIVAMOGGA: The state govt on Tuesday ordered a CID probe into the circumstances surrounding the alleged death by suicide of 50-year-old Chandrasekaran P, an accounts superintendent with the Karnataka Maharshi Valmiki Scheduled Tribes Development Corporation.
An FIR has been lodged against KMVSTDC managing director JG Padmanabha, along with two other govt officials, Durganna and Suchismita, who are currently at large, even as opposition BJP and JD(S) took strong objection to the exclusion of ST welfare minister B Nagendra's name from the FIR.
Announcing the probe, home minister G Parameshwara said the primary objective of the investigation is to determine the factors leading to the death and to adopt appropriate action based on the findings. On Sunday evening, Chandrasekaran, 50, was found hanging from a ceiling fan at his residence.
In a six-page death note, he had accused three of his senior colleagues of being responsible for his death, claiming harassment over alleged misappropriation of corporation funds to the tune of Rs 87 crore through various bank transactions for personal gains.
He also claimed his seniors had compelled him to establish a parallel bank account to divert unaccounted for funds from the corporation's primary account.
In the note, Chandrasekaran also alleged that he was instructed by a minister and an officer to open a "sweep-in and sweep-out account" at a bank branch on MG Road in Bengaluru, facilitating transfer of funds between savings and current accounts and linking fixed deposit accounts.
The decision to exclude scheduled tribes' welfare minister B Nagendra from the FIR has sparked furore among opposition BJP and JD(S). KMVSTDC comes under the minister's portfolio.
Former MLA and JD(S) vice-president KB Prasanna Kumar claimed the official who died had explicitly stated in his death note that he had acted in accordance with the minister's directives. "A few years ago, when similar allegations were made against former deputy CM KS Eshwarappa, Siddaramaiah, who was then the leader of opposition, had called for his resignation. However, police in Shivamogga have not included the minister's name [Nagendra] in the FIR this time, arguing that the deceased did not mention the minister in the suicide note," he said.
At a press conference, Nagendra tried to distance himself from the controversy, attributing the blame entirely to the senior officials. "Whoever is involved, regardless of influence, will face consequences," he said, adding that if the forensic report verifies the MD's involvement, suspension will follow.
Nagendra said the scam occurred during the transfer of funds between banks, amounting to nearly Rs 87 crore, with Rs 28 crore recovered so far. "We've engaged with the chairman and directors of Union Bank of India, all of whom have committed to refunding Rs 50 crore by Tuesday evening," the minister confirmed.
Meanwhile, CID conducted a spot inspection on Tuesday, seizing the purported suicide note and the deceased accounts officer's mobile phone for further probe.
Leader of the opposition R Ashoka and BJP state president BY Vijayendra have demanded that Siddaramaiah sack Nagendra from his cabinet to ensure a fair probe.
Stay updated with the latest news on Times of India. Don't miss daily games like Crossword, Sudoku, and Mini Crossword.
Announcing the probe, home minister G Parameshwara said the primary objective of the investigation is to determine the factors leading to the death and to adopt appropriate action based on the findings. On Sunday evening, Chandrasekaran, 50, was found hanging from a ceiling fan at his residence.
In a six-page death note, he had accused three of his senior colleagues of being responsible for his death, claiming harassment over alleged misappropriation of corporation funds to the tune of Rs 87 crore through various bank transactions for personal gains.
He also claimed his seniors had compelled him to establish a parallel bank account to divert unaccounted for funds from the corporation's primary account.
In the note, Chandrasekaran also alleged that he was instructed by a minister and an officer to open a "sweep-in and sweep-out account" at a bank branch on MG Road in Bengaluru, facilitating transfer of funds between savings and current accounts and linking fixed deposit accounts.
Former MLA and JD(S) vice-president KB Prasanna Kumar claimed the official who died had explicitly stated in his death note that he had acted in accordance with the minister's directives. "A few years ago, when similar allegations were made against former deputy CM KS Eshwarappa, Siddaramaiah, who was then the leader of opposition, had called for his resignation. However, police in Shivamogga have not included the minister's name [Nagendra] in the FIR this time, arguing that the deceased did not mention the minister in the suicide note," he said.
At a press conference, Nagendra tried to distance himself from the controversy, attributing the blame entirely to the senior officials. "Whoever is involved, regardless of influence, will face consequences," he said, adding that if the forensic report verifies the MD's involvement, suspension will follow.
Nagendra said the scam occurred during the transfer of funds between banks, amounting to nearly Rs 87 crore, with Rs 28 crore recovered so far. "We've engaged with the chairman and directors of Union Bank of India, all of whom have committed to refunding Rs 50 crore by Tuesday evening," the minister confirmed.
Meanwhile, CID conducted a spot inspection on Tuesday, seizing the purported suicide note and the deceased accounts officer's mobile phone for further probe.
Leader of the opposition R Ashoka and BJP state president BY Vijayendra have demanded that Siddaramaiah sack Nagendra from his cabinet to ensure a fair probe.
Stay updated with the latest news on Times of India. Don't miss daily games like Crossword, Sudoku, and Mini Crossword.
Top Comment
Shekar Natesh
202 days ago
If the corrupt state government has to cover up then they will order only for SIT or CID probe which only probes as per the whims and fancies of the state government . Nothing will come out of it.Read allPost comment
Popular from City
- 28-year-old man dies by suicide in Rajkot after alleged harassment by estranged wife
- Mumbai boat accident: Life jackets now mandatory for ferry rides from Gateway of India
- 'Casualties could have been higher': How JNPT pilot boats became saviours during one of Mumbai harbour's deadliest crashes
- Man from speedboat flung into air, landed on ferry’s deck: Survivor who shot video
- Jharkhand groom collapses due to cold wave, angry bride calls off marriage
end of article
Trending Stories
- Man from speedboat flung into air, landed on ferry’s deck: Survivor who shot video
- 'Gundagardi karte ho?' What happened when Rahul Gandhi approached injured BJP MP Sarangi; watch video
- 'He wouldn’t leave me alone': Woman claims Prince Andrew stared at her breast during royal function years ago
- Is coconut oil hair oil or edible oil? Supreme Court solves old puzzle
- Bears Star’s two-word message as Cole Kmet walks away from Caleb Williams & Co.
- "You can't film without asking me": Irritated Virat Kohli on arriving at Melbourne Airport
- 'Gone mad, should resign': Lalu Yadav takes jibe on Amit Shah over remarks on Ambedkar
Visual Stories
- 10 beautiful animals that are pink in colour
- 9 vegetarian dishes shine in the ‘100 Best Dishes in the World’ list
- How to grow Spring Onion in the kitchen garden without soil (you only need water!)
- How to make nutrition-rich and super delicious Bathua Paneer Paratha
- 10 best places to visit in North India for a thrilling wildlife experience
UP NEXT