This story is from July 31, 2024
Tamil Nadu and Karnataka govt clash over cauvery water regulation
The meeting, held via video conference, followed the directions of the Cauvery water management authority after Tamil Nadu's request in the previous meeting last week. “Since storage of four Cauvery reservoirs in Karnataka is going to reach their full capacity, and southwest monsoon being normal, TN govt representatives requested the committee to order Karnataka to ensure flows as per court order in future.”
The committee also reminded Tamil Nadu govt to ensure monthly release of Cauvery water to Puducherry.
According to sources, the meteorology department informed the meeting that the upper reaches of the Cauvery basin had received above-normal rainfall. It also forecast heavy rainfall in the upper reaches of Biligundlu next week.
Tamil Nadu govt told the committee that it received 76.773tmcft from June 1 to July 28, as against the stipulated 37.407tmcft for the corresponding period. As of Tuesday, the Mettur reservoir had storage of 87.784 tmcft and water resources department had maintained release of 23,000cusecs. Chief minister M K Stalin ordered release of water from Mettur on Sunday due to the increasing storage level.
Tamil Nadu has got 10 tmcft of excess Cauvery water till July 22
Tamil Nadu received an excess of 10 tmcft of water from Karnataka due to heavy rainfall in the Cauvery basin between July 1 and 22. The state demanded a review, and the CWMA will meet on July 30 to decide on water release for August. Karnataka's reservoirs are nearly full, ensuring compliance with Supreme Court directives.
Tamil Nadu CM Stalin directs officials to release water from Mettur Dam
The Tamil Nadu government commenced water release from the Mettur Dam to support Cauvery delta districts. This action, following heavy inflows from Karnataka, aimed to help 'kuruvai' crop irrigation and aid the 'Aadiperukku' festival. Chief Minister M K Stalin directed the initial release of 12,000 cusecs, with potential increments, after reviewing the situation with officials.
EPS flays TN govt for not completing Sarabanga scheme to divert Cauvery surplus water
AIADMK general secretary Edappadi K Palaniswami criticized the Tamil Nadu government for not completing the Sarabanga Lift Irrigation Scheme initiated four years ago. The project, launched in 2020, aimed to divert surplus water from the Mettur dam to 100 tanks in Salem. Despite initial progress, the DMK government has not finished the project, affecting agriculture and groundwater levels.
Stay updated with the latest news on Times of India. Don't miss daily games like Crossword, Sudoku, and Mini Crossword.
- NSG officer among 4 held for assaulting cop at rapper Karan Aujla’s Gurgaon event
- Now, a 'neglected' Shiva temple 'found' in Varanasi
- 'Free treatment for people above 60 years, if AAP retains power': Arvind Kejriwal announces 'Sanjivni Yojna'
- Kolkata Police bats for couple who stole a kiss at metro station
- Muslim residents raze own homes near Sambhal’s ‘ancient’ temple
- R Ashwin retires: Emotional scenes, a warm hug as Rohit Sharma bids good bye to his teammate
- SEBI bans YouTube influencer with 19 lakh-plus subscribers for investment scam; fines Rs 9.5 crore
- Dell CEO Michael Dell to employees overworking: "I learned long time ago that there's a ..."
- Kolkata Police bats for couple who stole a kiss at metro station
- India was only an ally: Dhaka unhappy over PM Modi’s Victory Day post
- Screening of banned documentary on PM Narendra Modi not allowed at JNU
- Australia 'surprised' by Virat and Rohit's follow-on celebrations, Lyon says they didn't want to bat
- 10 best places to visit in North India for a thrilling wildlife experience
- Winter special: How to make Lemon Banana Tea cake
- 10 Korean recipes that are trending in India
- 8 South Indian delicacies made with leftover rice
- 10 conversations you must have with your child everyday in the morning