This story is from January 27, 2018
Delhi: Parallel RTR flyover gets fifth deadline
NEW DELHI: The
Only 34% of the work has been completed so far.
The slow pace of work has been a serious cause of concern for PWD. The civic agency had planned to start work on placing girders last year, but it got delayed. “The work has picked up now. We have started placing the girders. Of the 76 spans, 30-35 are ready. We aim to place all the girders by September. The work will be carried out between 10pm and 6am every day,” said an official.
Sources said the department is rethinking its decision to seek permission from the Delhi traffic police to close the entire left carriageway between Nelson Mandela Marg and the Army hospital (a 3km-long stretch) for six months to carry out construction work.
With Central Public Works Department (CPWD) all set to start work on the Mahipalpur bypass, which is scheduled to be completed by March 2019, sources said closing the entire stretch may not be possible. According to the initial plan, PWD was to close Nelson Mandela Marg to Poorvi Marg in Vasant Vihar for airport-bound traffic coming from the IIT-Delhi side. The traffic was to be diverted to Nelson Mandela Marg and then to Abdul Gaffar Khan Marg towards NH-8 via Mahipalpur, and to Mahipalpur bypass (which opens on NH-8 just before the hotels). In the next phase, the entire stretch till the Army hospital was to be closed.
Though PWD has sought permission for diversion of traffic to Nelson Mandela Marg, it is done only during night hours. “We are now working out the traffic circulation plan so that we can carry on with the work without disrupting traffic movement during the day. We will close the section during night hours,” said an official.
Initially, the work got delayed due to delay in getting permission to shift utilities and cut trees. It got further delayed because of the contractor, claimed a PWD official.
PWD had issued a notice to the contractor, Hindustan Construction Company (HCC) Limited, for levying compensation due to delay in the completion of the project in October last year. Officials said five such notices were issued to the contractor last year.
Public Works Department
has once again revised thedeadline
for completing theparallel flyover
onRTR Marg
toDecember 2018
.The slow pace of work has been a serious cause of concern for PWD. The civic agency had planned to start work on placing girders last year, but it got delayed. “The work has picked up now. We have started placing the girders. Of the 76 spans, 30-35 are ready. We aim to place all the girders by September. The work will be carried out between 10pm and 6am every day,” said an official.
Sources said the department is rethinking its decision to seek permission from the Delhi traffic police to close the entire left carriageway between Nelson Mandela Marg and the Army hospital (a 3km-long stretch) for six months to carry out construction work.
With Central Public Works Department (CPWD) all set to start work on the Mahipalpur bypass, which is scheduled to be completed by March 2019, sources said closing the entire stretch may not be possible. According to the initial plan, PWD was to close Nelson Mandela Marg to Poorvi Marg in Vasant Vihar for airport-bound traffic coming from the IIT-Delhi side. The traffic was to be diverted to Nelson Mandela Marg and then to Abdul Gaffar Khan Marg towards NH-8 via Mahipalpur, and to Mahipalpur bypass (which opens on NH-8 just before the hotels). In the next phase, the entire stretch till the Army hospital was to be closed.
Though PWD has sought permission for diversion of traffic to Nelson Mandela Marg, it is done only during night hours. “We are now working out the traffic circulation plan so that we can carry on with the work without disrupting traffic movement during the day. We will close the section during night hours,” said an official.
PWD had issued a notice to the contractor, Hindustan Construction Company (HCC) Limited, for levying compensation due to delay in the completion of the project in October last year. Officials said five such notices were issued to the contractor last year.
Top Comment
Concerned Indian
2484 days ago
News about delay is routine matter. Instead, publish the news when it will be complete so that it does not increase expectation and resultant frustration amongst citizensRead allPost comment
Popular from City
- Mumbai: Fire breaks out at BKC metro station
- Party, high-speed, torn sunroof: How a night out turned fatal for six friends in Dehradun
- Mild tremor hits north Gujarat, no immediate damage reported
- Kerala bizman caught smuggling luxury watch from Dubai; pays Rs 18 lakh duty at Pune airport
- Delhi air pollution: GRAP 3 imposed in NCR; what's allowed, what's not - key details
end of article
Trending Stories
- IND vs SA LIVE: South Africa six down in 284 run chase
- Mike Tyson vs Jake Paul: Live streaming, full match card, when and where to watch fight in India and USA
- Delhi pollution: GRAP 3 curbs to be imposed from November 15 as residents choke
- 'Can't save religion when deputy CM's wife busy making reels': Kanhaiya Kumar's remarks on Devendra Fadnavis' wife Amruta sparks row
- When Tulsi Gabbard clarified her nationality: 'I am not of Indian origin'
- Mike Tyson vs Jake Paul: Boxing legend and YouTube sensation collide in historic bout
- Finally, Prince Harry may return to the Royal Family as his biggest enemy is retiring
Visual Stories
- 10 desert animals of India
- How to make high-protein Soya-Paneer Biryani
- 8 traditional baby girl names that sound modern
- 10 rare animal species found only in China
- How to grow Strawberry in home garden during winters
TOP TRENDS
UP NEXT