Continue on TOI App
Open App
OPEN APP

Former Manipur rebels seek jobs, threaten stir

IMPHAL: A group of surrendered militants from the state has threatened to launch various forms of agitations from next Friday if the state government fails to provide suitable jobs to them.

Tired of too many ads?go ad free now

Spokesperson of ‘All Manipur Hills & Valley Individual Surrender Welfare Association’ Abdul Latif said the state cabinet, in May 21,2017, had said there were job prospects for the physically fit surrendered

rebels

of the state in the special battalions by relaxing the requisite educational qualifications and age limit. The cabinet had also resolved to raise a special unarmed battalion for the surrendered cadres of the state, he added.

Abdul lamented that the state government showed no concern for the welfare of surrendered militants since then.

The May 21, 2017, cabinet meeting had decided that the monthly stipend of surrendered cadres would be hiked to Rs 8000 per month from Rs 4,000 for three years. Moreover, the one-time financial grant provided by the government would be increased from 2.5 lakh to Rs 4 lakh. Besides, the meeting had decided that the former militants would enjoy medical reimbursement facility up to 75% of the total expenditure during their stay at rehabilitation camps for ailments declared eligible and notified by the state health directorate.

Stay updated with the latest news on Times of India. Don't miss daily games like Crossword, Sudoku, Location Guesser and Mini Crossword. Spread love this holiday season with these Christmas wishes, messages, and quotes.

Start a Conversation

Post comment
Continue Reading
Follow Us On Social Media
end of article
More Trending Stories
Visual Stories
More Visual Stories
UP NEXT
Do Not Sell Or Share My Personal Information