Continue on TOI App
Open App
OPEN APP

Tuticorin custodial deaths: Father, son beaten all night, says TN woman cop

In a damning indictment of the Sathankulam police, a woman consta... Read More
MADURAI: In a damning indictment of the Sathankulam police, a

woman constable

attached to the station has deposed that

P Jeyaraj

and his son J Beniks were assaulted by policemen with lathis for a whole night, after their arrest on June 19.

Tired of too many ads?go ad free now
Blows rained on the two till dawn had left blood stains on the batons and on a table at the station, she said. Apprehending destruction of the evidence, she requested the inquiring magistrate to take possession of the materials. She signed her statement only after the magistrate assured her of safety.

As she feared of being targeted, and also because she is a star witness who was present at the station when the father-son duo was tortured, the Madras high court has ordered protection for the policewoman and her family members. The bench of Justice P N Prakash and Justice B Pugalendhi also said it would be in the interests of justice to have her statement recorded under Section 164 CrPC by a judicial magistrate other than the one from Kovilpatti or Sathankulam. The judge further said she could even be granted leave, as they fear there will be an attempt to intimidate her and make her resign from her version given to Kovilpatti judicial magistrate M S Bharathidasan.

The statement had to be recorded under most intimidating circumstances at Sathankulam station on June 28, said the magistrate, adding that despite his instruction to wait outside police personnel were standing near a tree and were causing hindrance.

Magistrate Bharathidasan had to endure muscle-flexing by additional superintendent of police D Kumar at the station, and abject refusal of constable Maharajan to hand over his lathi to him. Another policeman ran away from the inquiry.

Indicating sabotage, the magistrate said that despite adequate storage space, the

CCTV system

at the station was programmed in such a way that the footage got erased every day. Since June 19, no footage was not available in the system, he said, adding, “it looked like they had been erased.”
Tired of too many ads?go ad free now

A panic situation was prevalent at the police station, Bharathidasan said in his report to the Madras high court.

Read this story in Bengali

Stay updated with the latest news on Times of India. Don't miss daily games like Crossword, Sudoku, and Mini Crossword.
Continue Reading
Follow Us On Social Media
end of article
More Trending Stories
Visual Stories
More Visual Stories
UP NEXT
Do Not Sell Or Share My Personal Information