Chief minister Fadnavis rolls back Hindi govt resolutions as Opposition hits the streets in Mumbai
Mumbai: Buffeted by an anti-Hindi campaign led by the Thackeray cousins, CM Fadnavis Sunday announced that the state cabinet had decided to scrap two govt resolutions (GRs) to introduce Hindi as a third language for Class 1 students.The announcement came on a day when public protests against introducing Hindi in primary school started with Uddhav Thackeray present at a symbolic burning of the GRs at Azad Maidan. A stormy start was also expected to the monsoon session of the state legislature on Monday.The CM has set up a panel led by academic Narendra Jadhav to frame recommendations for implementing a three-language policy. "Our policy is Marathi-centric and Marathi student-centric," said the CM.Following the announcement, the Thackerays called off a joint protest rally to be held on July 5 and instead announced a ‘victory procession'. Both Sena (UBT) and MNS had described the move to start Hindi lessons in primary school as a ‘linguistic imposition'.Fadnavis said the administration had only followed the recommendations of a panel set up by Uddhav govt in 2020 on adopting the National Education Policy. He said the report was accepted by Thackeray, Congress and NCP (SP). "But as usual when in power speak differently, when out of power speak differently," said the CM. "Raj Thackeray must ask Uddhav Thackeray if he gave approval then how has he set out to hold an agitation now," he added.The govt had been under pressure from its own Language Advisory Committee, which passed a resolution that no third language including Hindi be taught before Class 5. The Opposition led by the Thackeray cousins had then announced a morcha against the introduction of Hindi on July 5. Several litterateurs and celebrities had announced their decision to join the morcha as also the Congress and the NCP (SP). Defending the GR for the third language, Fadnavis said the Mashelkar committee set up during the tenure of Uddhav Thackeray submitted a 101-page report recommending such a move. The committee was led by scientist Raghunath Mashelkar and had a sub-committee which included Shiksha Vidya Prabodhini founder Vijay Kadam, a ‘deputy leader' of Sena (UBT), he added. "Point number 8.1 (of the report) states English and Hindi languages should be implemented as second languages from first standard onwards. If students learn English for 12 years from first to twelfth standard, they will develop proficiency in English and be able to read necessary books. They will be prepared for engineering, medical and other technical-professional courses. While priority must be given to teaching in Marathi in higher education institutions, English and Hindi as second languages should be made compulsory from first standard to 12th. If needed, they should also be made compulsory in the 3 or 4-year degree courses of college education," said Fadnavis, quoting from the report.He said the new panel will study the Mashelkar report and engage with those opposed to the policy before making recommendations. The other members of the committee will be announced shortly and the committee will submit its report in three months, he said.Explaining the evolution of the three-language policy, he said the NEP was first adopted by Karnataka followed by MP, Telangana and UP. "On 21 Sept, 2020 then CM Uddhav Thackeray announced the setting up of an expert committee on how to apply this NEP." Fadnavis said after the report was submitted on Sept 14, 2021, it came before the cabinet on Jan 20, 2022. Its minutes were confirmed on Jan 7, 2022 and signed by CM Thackeray. There is no mention of keeping aside the three-language policy," said Fadnavis."It is not true when some say the report was not accepted. The report was accepted and to implement it, a committee was set up to frame rules. In our tenure following the work of the committee the GRs were issued. "We issued the first GR on 16 April, 2025 mentioning Marathi as compulsory followed by English as second language and Hindi as third language. There was an uproar and a second GR was issued on 17 June 2025 and in that we said any Indian language can be studied as a third language. Marathi is compulsory. The study of a third language is not from Std I. It is only an oral study, reading and writing is from Std III. Our govt did not take the decision, we did not make Hindi compulsory, rather (we) gave the option of any Indian language," said Fadnavis.Fadnavis said when the govt issued the second GR it was made clear they wanted to implement it through consensus and the education minister had begun holding consultations.After the CM's press meet, deputy CM Ajit Pawar urged the Opposition to call off the July 5 morcha and not inconvenience people in Mumbai. "The reason for holding the morcha is no longer there," he said.Mumbai: Buffeted by an anti-Hindi campaign led by the Thackeray cousins, CM Fadnavis Sunday announced that the state cabinet had decided to scrap two govt resolutions (GRs) to introduce Hindi as a third language for Class 1 students.The announcement came on a day when public protests against introducing Hindi in primary school started with Uddhav Thackeray present at a symbolic burning of the GRs at Azad Maidan. A stormy start was also expected to the monsoon session of the state legislature on Monday.The CM has set up a panel led by academic Narendra Jadhav to frame recommendations for implementing a three-language policy. "Our policy is Marathi-centric and Marathi student-centric," said the CM.Following the announcement, the Thackerays called off a joint protest rally to be held on July 5 and instead announced a ‘victory procession'. Both Sena (UBT) and MNS had described the move to start Hindi lessons in primary school as a ‘linguistic imposition'.Fadnavis said the administration had only followed the recommendations of a panel set up by Uddhav govt in 2020 on adopting the National Education Policy. He said the report was accepted by Thackeray, Congress and NCP (SP). "But as usual when in power speak differently, when out of power speak differently," said the CM. "Raj Thackeray must ask Uddhav Thackeray if he gave approval then how has he set out to hold an agitation now," he added.The govt had been under pressure from its own Language Advisory Committee, which passed a resolution that no third language including Hindi be taught before Class 5. The Opposition led by the Thackeray cousins had then announced a morcha against the introduction of Hindi on July 5. Several litterateurs and celebrities had announced their decision to join the morcha as also the Congress and the NCP (SP). Defending the GR for the third language, Fadnavis said the Mashelkar committee set up during the tenure of Uddhav Thackeray submitted a 101-page report recommending such a move. The committee was led by scientist Raghunath Mashelkar and had a sub-committee which included Shiksha Vidya Prabodhini founder Vijay Kadam, a ‘deputy leader' of Sena (UBT), he added. "Point number 8.1 (of the report) states English and Hindi languages should be implemented as second languages from first standard onwards. If students learn English for 12 years from first to twelfth standard, they will develop proficiency in English and be able to read necessary books. They will be prepared for engineering, medical and other technical-professional courses. While priority must be given to teaching in Marathi in higher education institutions, English and Hindi as second languages should be made compulsory from first standard to 12th. If needed, they should also be made compulsory in the 3 or 4-year degree courses of college education," said Fadnavis, quoting from the report.He said the new panel will study the Mashelkar report and engage with those opposed to the policy before making recommendations. The other members of the committee will be announced shortly and the committee will submit its report in three months, he said.Explaining the evolution of the three-language policy, he said the NEP was first adopted by Karnataka followed by MP, Telangana and UP. "On 21 Sept, 2020 then CM Uddhav Thackeray announced the setting up of an expert committee on how to apply this NEP." Fadnavis said after the report was submitted on Sept 14, 2021, it came before the cabinet on Jan 20, 2022. Its minutes were confirmed on Jan 7, 2022 and signed by CM Thackeray. There is no mention of keeping aside the three-language policy," said Fadnavis."It is not true when some say the report was not accepted. The report was accepted and to implement it, a committee was set up to frame rules. In our tenure following the work of the committee the GRs were issued. "We issued the first GR on 16 April, 2025 mentioning Marathi as compulsory followed by English as second language and Hindi as third language. There was an uproar and a second GR was issued on 17 June 2025 and in that we said any Indian language can be studied as a third language. Marathi is compulsory. The study of a third language is not from Std I. It is only an oral study, reading and writing is from Std III. Our govt did not take the decision, we did not make Hindi compulsory, rather (we) gave the option of any Indian language," said Fadnavis.Fadnavis said when the govt issued the second GR it was made clear they wanted to implement it through consensus and the education minister had begun holding consultations.After the CM's press meet, deputy CM Ajit Pawar urged the Opposition to call off the July 5 morcha and not inconvenience people in Mumbai. "The reason for holding the morcha is no longer there," he said.
Popular from City
- Filmed private videos, body-shamed girls, faced molestation complaints: How 'Mango’s' campus abuse was ignored for years; a toxic mix of clout, impunity
- Lawrence Bishnoi’s interview from lock-up: Suspended Punjab DSP Gursher Singh Sandhu 'spent Rs 2.6 crore but earned Rs 26 lakh'
- Maharashtra's Bandra residents anxious as 200-year-old 'Miracle Cross' may be razed under slum rehab scheme
- ‘We’re sorry’: Newborn left outside Panvel orphanage with handwritten note; 'someday they might return to take baby back'
- Telangana tragedy: 6-year-old comes under tipper as mom tries to overtake from left; police say woman had no driving licence
end of article
Trending Stories
- Mitch Marner says emotional goodbye to Toronto as Maple Leafs prepare for new era without star winger
- US immigration authority to Visa applicants: Effective July 1, 2025, USCIS will no longer send ...
- Blake Lively stops Swift from cutting her off as Kelce backs Taylor quietly
- OpenAI CEO Sam Altman takes one of the biggest AI U-Turn, says: Current computers are …
- Meals with royalty: 20 must-visit Dubai restaurants where crown prince Sheikh Hamdan dines
- Lawrence Bishnoi’s interview from lock-up: Suspended Punjab DSP Gursher Singh Sandhu 'spent Rs 2.6 crore but earned Rs 26 lakh'
- 9 Indian-origin CEOs leading global companies: Where they studied
Featured in city
03:34 ‘Always a troublemaker’: Kolkata 'gang-rape' accused Manojit Mishra was ousted from Trinamool unit in 2021; got college seat despite limit- ‘Let law take its course’: Father of Kolkata gang-rape accused Manojit Mishra says they haven’t spoken in 5 years; adds he cut ties over son’s political ways
- ‘Ask Sachin Tendulkar about cricket, not Hindi’: Sharad Pawar slams calls for celebrities to take stand on NEP row; backs Raj Thackeray’s protest but questions pressure tactics
- Noida's heart-wrenching horror: Surprise inspection at old age home reveals harsh realities of twilight years — locked, lonely, forgotten
- 'Jisne bhi diyaa ek boond bhi sahara, agar jindagi rahi to samandar lotaayenge': Gujarat man kills wife, daughter, hangs himself; left cryptic Insta story hours before act
- Mumbai weather update: Moderate rain expected
Visual Stories
- Diabetes: 10 smart fruit choices to help manage blood sugar levels
- Sreeleela to Sai Pallavi: Summertime cotton sarees approved by South Indian actresses
- Helly Shah Is Serving Sass
- 10 iconic quotes from the ‘Harry Potter’ series that could be life lessons
- 8 must-read short books for students seeking inspiration and guidance
- 9 ways to redecorate the home & living room to prepare for monsoons
- 8 animals that are known for eating their babies and mates
- Chaithra J Achar’s Saree Looks That Turn Heads
- Makeup tips for a dazzling glow in these humid summer conditions
- Udne Ki Aasha fame Neha Harsora aka Sailee’s gorgeous ethnic looks
Photostories
- Dipika Kakar steps out post-surgery for a family outing; reveals details about her stage 2 liver cancer robotic surgery and six cuts on her stomach
- From meeting through common friends to having a court marriage; When later actress Shefali Jariwala got candid about her love story with Parag Tyagi
- 7 benefits of walking barefoot on grass
- 10 scariest snakes that are known to lurk around backyards
- 6 music festivals around the world worth travelling for
- Squats vs wall sits: Which one is better for instant weight loss?
- 5 habits for a happy marriage everyone should know
- Shah Rukh Khan to Deepika Padukone: Bollywood stars and their real-life fears & phobias
- 10 stunning UNESCO-listed castles from across the world that are a must visit
- 9 traditional Indian musical instruments and their origins
Top Trends
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment