This story is from December 15, 2023
Centre okays ₹793cr to widen Dive Ghat-Hadapsar stretch
Pune: Union minister of road transport and highways (MORTH) Nitin Gadkari has sanctioned Rs 792.39 crore for the road expansion work of the 13.25 km stretch of the palkhi route from Dive Ghat to Hadapsar on the National Highway 965.Welcoming the announcement, the warkaris said that the government should aim to complete the work before next year’s Ashadhi Ekadashi. The stretch from Dive Ghat to Hadapsar falls under the Mohol-Alandi section of the National Highway, which is currently two-lane wide. The Centre has sanctioned funds for converting the existing two-lane stretch into four-lane one. According to the ministry, the road widening work will be carried out on hybrid annuity model.Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone in November 2019 for the palkhi routes for Sant Dnyaneshwar Maharaj palkhi from Alandi and Sant Tukaram Maharaj palkhi from Dehu to Pandharpur during the Ashadhi Wari.“The four-laning of the road will reduce traffic problems in Hadapsar and Dive ghat section. It will also help in easy movement of the warkaris during the Ashadhi Wari , when nearly 10 lakh warkaris walk with the Sant Dnyaneshwar Maharaj palkhi. It will also aid in vehicular movement on that stretch as well,” Gadkari posted a message on his social media platform X (formerly Twitter). Earlier this month, a warkari was killed and five others were injured when a pickup vehicle hit them near Daundaj Khind on Pune-Solapur road. The incident occurred when they were drinking water from a tanker.A day after the accident, four warkaris were killed on the Pune-Nashik highway when they were heading towards Alandi. A group of approximately 175 warkaris were proceeding on foot from Shirdi to Alandi.When they were at the Nandurkhandarmal, a truck, loaded with empty cardboard boxes, rammed the group killing four and leaving eight others injured. Chief minister Eknath Shinde recently announced a compensation of Rs 5 lakh each to the kin of the deceased in the winter session of the assembly recently.After the ministry’s announcement of the allotment of funds, the warkaris said that the widening of the Palkhi route will reduce such mishaps.Speaking to TOI, Vikas Dhage, one of the trustees of the Shree Dnyaneshwar Maharaj Palkhi committee, said, “We welcome the Centre’s decision to allot more funds for the palkhi route. It will also ensure safe passage for the warkaris during the pilgrimage.”Dhage demanded that the government complete the land acquisition process at the earliest for the four-laning of the highway. “Most of the work has been completed in Solapur and Satara districts but the work in Pune district is still incomplete due to the pending land acquisition issue. The government should acquire the land and aim to finish the widening work of the highway before next year’s Ashadhi Wari,” he said.
Stay updated with the latest news on Times of India. Don't miss daily games like Crossword, Sudoku, Location Guesser and Mini Crossword. Spread love this holiday season with these Christmas wishes, messages, and quotes.
Stay updated with the latest news on Times of India. Don't miss daily games like Crossword, Sudoku, Location Guesser and Mini Crossword. Spread love this holiday season with these Christmas wishes, messages, and quotes.
Popular from City
- CCTV footage shows crushing Bengaluru Volvo accident
- International drug smuggler Sunil Yadav gunned down in California by Lawrence Bishnoi's gang
- Delhi gangster, 2 others shot dead in Haryana hotel parking after birthday party
- 'Invited to b'day party, stripped, beaten and urinated upon': UP teen dies by suicide
- Hit by airbag after accident, 6-year-old in car’s front seat dies
end of article
Trending Stories
- How much did Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce’s net worth grow in 2024: From the Eras Tour to a TV reality show and more
- ICC Champions Trophy 2025 schedule: Complete list of fixtures including India matches
- Who is Amelia Carter? Is she really the victim of the NYC subway horror?
- “Absolutely ridiculous”: Keanu Reeves provided a humorous response to the rumor that the Ravens offered him a chance at quarterback
- Patrick Mahomes prepares for Texans game while his wife Brittany Mahomes and their kids enjoy an early Christmas celebration
- Russia reacts to reports of ousted Syrian President Assad’s wife seeking divorce
- GOOD NEWS! For Dallas Cowboys QB Dak Prescott fans: "A month away from running and really moving."
Visual Stories
- How to make Masala Chicken Curry at home
- 10 beautiful animals that are pink in colour
- 10 easy-to-care-for beautiful freshwater fish for home aquariums
- 9 vegetarian dishes shine in the ‘100 Best Dishes in the World’ list
- 10 rare animals found only in Asia
TOP TRENDS
UP NEXT
Start a Conversation
Post comment