Ebola outbreak: Centre reviews preparedness as death toll crosses 100 in DR Congo, Uganda
NEW DELHI: Union health secretary Punya Salila Srivastava on Wednesday chaired a high-level meeting with health secretaries of all states and Union territories to review preparedness and response measures against Ebola virus disease, following the World Health Organisation’s declaration of the outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC).
The review comes as Ebola cases in Uganda and DR Congo has crossed the death toll of 100 people.
The meeting focused on strengthening surveillance, screening, quarantine protocols and hospital readiness, even as the Centre confirmed that no Ebola case has been detected in the country so far.
The Union health ministry said the country has stepped up precautionary measures in view of the Ebola outbreak reported in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda, news agency ANI reported.
Also read: Ebola outbreak in DR Congo kills 139: Is a vaccine on the way?
During the review meeting, states and UTs were asked to ensure preparedness at every level of the healthcare system. The Centre has already circulated detailed Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) covering pre-arrival and post-arrival screening, quarantine procedures, laboratory testing, case management and referral mechanisms.
The Union health secretary stressed the need for coordinated surveillance, timely reporting and readiness of designated healthcare facilities to deal with any potential threat. Ministries and departments concerned have also been sensitised and are working in coordination with the health ministry on preventive and surveillance measures.
The ministry underlined that India has prior experience in handling Ebola-related preparedness, pointing to the 2014 Ebola outbreak in Africa when similar precautionary measures were implemented successfully.
The Centre also urged citizens not to panic and advised them to continue following official health advisories and updates.
Also read: Ebola returns - How this outbreak is different from before
The WHO has reported that a total of 528 suspected Ebola cases, including 132 deaths, had been recorded in the DRC and Uganda as of May 18.
The outbreak in the two African countries has been linked to the Bundibugyo virus strain. According to WHO data, 668 contacts have been identified so far, including 541 in the DRC and 127 in Uganda.
The global health body said monitoring of contacts has remained difficult in certain parts of the DRC due to insecurity and movement restrictions.
WHO, in a statement, has stated that of the 12 suspected cases reported from Uganda, two were confirmed through laboratory testing, while the rest tested negative.
The meeting focused on strengthening surveillance, screening, quarantine protocols and hospital readiness, even as the Centre confirmed that no Ebola case has been detected in the country so far.
The Union health ministry said the country has stepped up precautionary measures in view of the Ebola outbreak reported in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda, news agency ANI reported.
Also read: Ebola outbreak in DR Congo kills 139: Is a vaccine on the way?
During the review meeting, states and UTs were asked to ensure preparedness at every level of the healthcare system. The Centre has already circulated detailed Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) covering pre-arrival and post-arrival screening, quarantine procedures, laboratory testing, case management and referral mechanisms.
The ministry underlined that India has prior experience in handling Ebola-related preparedness, pointing to the 2014 Ebola outbreak in Africa when similar precautionary measures were implemented successfully.
The Centre also urged citizens not to panic and advised them to continue following official health advisories and updates.
The WHO has reported that a total of 528 suspected Ebola cases, including 132 deaths, had been recorded in the DRC and Uganda as of May 18.
The outbreak in the two African countries has been linked to the Bundibugyo virus strain. According to WHO data, 668 contacts have been identified so far, including 541 in the DRC and 127 in Uganda.
The global health body said monitoring of contacts has remained difficult in certain parts of the DRC due to insecurity and movement restrictions.
WHO, in a statement, has stated that of the 12 suspected cases reported from Uganda, two were confirmed through laboratory testing, while the rest tested negative.
Comments (3)
s
sandyeatsnMost Interacted
43 minutes ago
Please keep a close watch on Kerala, the "Wuhan of India". Commies and those mallus eat not only beef but anything and everything....Read More
1 Reply
5
3
Reply
end of article
Trending Stories
- IPL: KKR beat MI by 4 wickets to keep their playoff hopes alive
- Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader's Abby Summers reveals painful skin struggle after cosmetic procedure
- Bugs at White House? Dana White reveals bizarre problem threatening UFC’s historic event
- Is Victor Wembanyama playing tonight against the Oklahoma City Thunder? Final update on the Spur star's injury report
- Vaibhav Sooryavanshi reveals real reason behind viral 'A' celebration after LSG blitz
08:30 'Gave them car, 10 tola gold': Woman dies by suicide due to 'dowry' harassment- Odisha CHSE 12th Result 2026 (OUT): Odisha Plus Two results out
Featured in India
- Landslide blocks Kedarnath road; 10,000 stranded pilgrims rescued
- PM Modi to chair ministers’ meeting on governance, reforms today
- Satheesan scraps LDF's controversial rail project
- No new hydel projects on Ganga in Uttarakhand: Govt
- Private defence company tests rocket at Chandipur
- Delhi, Seoul to work on air defence and energy weapons systems
Videos
03:35 'India Won't Tolerate Any Form Of Nuclear Blackmail': Rajnath Singh In South Korea03:21 Who Is Ryan Williams? Footballer Who Gave Up Australian Citizenship To Play For India04:22 Congress To Join Tamil Nadu Cabinet After 59 Years As Vijay Expands TVK Government05:53 India, Italy Elevate Ties; PM Modi's 'Melody' Gift To Meloni Goes Viral | Headlines@905:42 Parle Industries Shares Jump 5% After Modi-Meloni’s ‘Melody’ Moment, But There’s A Catch- Italy PM Giorgia Meloni Speaks Hindi During Joint Presser With PM Modi | Viral ‘Melodi’ Moment
04:04 'Anarchic Mindset': BJP Slams Rahul Gandhi For 'Traitors' Remark On PM Modi, Amit Shah03:52 'Warned India of Economic Storm, Then Flew to Italy on ₹4,000 Crore Jet': Rahul Gandhi Slams PM Modi03:27 India Successfully Tests Suryastra Precision Rocket System With 300-Km Strike Capability
Photostories
- "Faltu khana na banaye, agar koi..." CM Yogi Adityanath urges people on being mindful while cooking: 5 tips on how to cook 'right' at home
- Morning affirmation at 5 am: What happens when your brain hears positive words before sunrise
- International Tea Day 2026: 6 culinary uses of tea leaves apart from making tea
- Urvashi Rautela said ‘too much’ is the ultimate mood with not one but two extravagant gowns at Cannes 2026
- Exclusive - From Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah to Dhurandhar, Rakesh Bedi and Asit Kumarr Modi get candid about their bond and journey; actor reacts to David Dhawan’s remark
- 8 strange and uncomfortable signs you are going through a quiet spiritual awakening
- 8 giraffe facts that shock even wildlife lovers
- Gauranga Das shares 3 signs of a loyal partner
- 10 exercises that can keep the heart healthy
- Feeling Stressed? Try These Astrological Tips to Calm Down Your Mind
Hot Picks
Up Next
Follow Us On Social Media