NEW DELHI: NCP (SP) chief
Sharad Pawar on Saturday made a significant revelation about the future of the Nationalist Congress Party, saying that talks to merge the two rival NCP factions were already under way and had progressed to an advanced stage before the sudden death of his nephew and party chief
Ajit Pawar.
Speaking at a press conference, Sharad Pawar said the proposed merger was not only under discussion but was also in line with Ajit Pawar’s own wishes.
“Now we feel his wish should be fulfilled. Ajit Pawar, Shashikant Shinde and Jayant Patil had initiated the talks about the merger of the two factions. Even the merger date had been fixed — it was scheduled on the 12th (February). Unfortunately, Ajit left us before that,” Sharad Pawar said.
This disclosure comes amid intense political activity in Maharashtra following Ajit Pawar’s death and reports that his wife, Rajya Sabha MP Sunetra Pawar, is likely to be sworn in as deputy chief minister.
Sharad Pawar, however, maintained that he had no prior information about her possible elevation, underlining that key decisions were being taken by leaders in Mumbai and not in consultation with him.
‘Family stands united, no issue’
When asked whether he, as a senior member of the Pawar family, was taken into confidence regarding Sunetra Pawar’s possible appointment as deputy chief minister, Sharad Pawar sought to downplay any suggestion of discord.
“Family stands united if an issue occurs in the family. There are no issues in the family,” he said.
‘Decisions happening in Mumbai, not here’
Sharad Pawar made it clear that discussions on political and organisational decisions were taking place away from him.
Responding to questions on the apparent haste in decision-making after Ajit Pawar’s death, he said, “All these discussions are not taking place here; they are happening in Mumbai. Praful Patel, Sunil Tatkare and other senior leaders are having these discussions. Whatever is being seen appears to be decisions taken by them. I will not comment on this.”
‘Media speculation’ on NDA question
Asked directly whether he would consider being part of the NDA in the event of a merger between the two NCP factions, Sharad Pawar firmly dismissed the suggestion.
“This is all going on on your side (media), there is nothing like that here,” he said, rejecting speculation about his future political alignment.
Tribute to Ajit Pawar
During the press conference, Sharad Pawar also paid a heartfelt tribute to Ajit Pawar, describing him as a leader deeply committed to public service. “Ajit Pawar was a capable and committed leader who truly worked for the people. He would thoroughly understand public issues and always worked to ensure that people received justice,” he said.
Recalling Ajit Pawar’s bond with his constituency, he added, “The people of Baramati have always stood by him, and he never fell short when it came to his work and responsibilities. His passing away has deeply shocked all of us.”
Sharad Pawar said the circumstances following Ajit Pawar’s death demanded resilience and continuity. “The situation that has arisen after his demise calls upon us to move forward with strength. We must work to reduce the suffering of the people and continue the approach and values with which he served. I firmly believe that the new generation of his family will certainly carry forward his legacy and way of working,” he said.
Sunetra Pawar reaches Mumbai, party meeting due
As per news agency PTI, Sunetra Pawar reached Mumbai in the early hours of Saturday, accompanied by her son Parth, ahead of a crucial meeting of the NCP legislature wing.
The 62-year-old leader, who is not a member of either House of the Maharashtra legislature, is expected to be elected leader of the party’s legislature wing and is set to take oath as Maharashtra’s first woman deputy chief minister.
Sources quoted by PTI in NCP (SP) and Sharad Pawar’s family said they were not privy to Sunetra Pawar’s decision to join the BJP-led Mahayuti government. “The NCP (SP) leadership and Sharad Pawar’s family members were completely in the dark about her plans,” a source said.
Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has said the BJP would support whatever decision is taken by Ajit Pawar’s family and the NCP. “The NCP will take whatever decision it has to take for the post of deputy chief minister, and we will support the decision,” he said.
Sunetra Pawar had largely maintained a low political profile until the 2024 Lok Sabha elections, when she contested from Baramati but lost to NCP (SP) MP Supriya Sule. She was subsequently elected to the Rajya Sabha.
Select The Times of India as your preferred source on Google Search
Start a Conversation
Post comment