This story is from June 08, 2021
Bhagat, Krishna and Tarun qualify for Paralympics badminton event
NEW DELHI: Three Indian para shuttlers, including world number one Pramod Bhagat, on Tuesday officially qualified for the
Besides Bhagat (SL3 -- standing/lower limb impairment/minor), Tarun Tarun (SL4 -- standing/ lower limb impairment/severe) and Nagar Krishna (SH6 -- standing/short stature) too received invitations to participate in the Paralympics.
SL3 refers to minor standing or lower limb impairment and SL4 means severe lower limb impairment. While SH6 refers tanding/short stature).
Bhagat, who had claimed two gold medals and a bronze at the Dubai Para Tournament, was on cloud nine after receiving the invitation from the game's governing body,
"I am very excited to be invited, every athlete dreams of participating in the Olympics and it is the same for me," Bhagat said.
"I am very focused and winning a gold at the Paralympics is my dream and I have been training very hard to achieve this."
Asian Para Games bronze medallist Krishna, who had claimed two gold medals at the Dubai Para badminton International Championships in April, was also over the moon to know about his qualification.
"I am very happy to be selected...it is a childhood dream for me, I can't describe this moment," the 21-year-old from Jaipur said.
"My preparation is going very well, we are having three sessions everyday and we will improve further and will make India proud at the Paralympics.
"I had played at Dubai event, it was a good experience which helped me to understand my weaknesses where I need to work on. It will help me to give my best at Paralympics."
The COVID-19 pandemic has affected the sport and the training of the athletes in the run-up to the Games and Krishna said it could be tough staying in the bio-bubble but he is focussed on achieving his dream of claiming a medal.
"The current situation due to coronavirus, it is not good but I have full faith from what I have experienced since the COVID-19 breakdown, I don't think safety would be an issue.
"Yes, sometimes it will be tough as there will be a bio-bubble but that is not a big problem, our main target is to achieve a gold in Paralympics."
Among other Indians, Sukant Kadam, Manoj Sarkar and few other prominent players are also expecting their invitations through Bipartite to come on July 16.
The Indian women's pair of Palak Kohli and Parul Parmar last month became the first from the country to receive the invitations for the
This is the first time badminton is being introduced in the Paralympics.
Paralympics
, scheduled to be held from August 25 to September 5.SL3 refers to minor standing or lower limb impairment and SL4 means severe lower limb impairment. While SH6 refers tanding/short stature).
Bhagat, who had claimed two gold medals and a bronze at the Dubai Para Tournament, was on cloud nine after receiving the invitation from the game's governing body,
Badminton World Federation
."I am very excited to be invited, every athlete dreams of participating in the Olympics and it is the same for me," Bhagat said.
"I am very focused and winning a gold at the Paralympics is my dream and I have been training very hard to achieve this."
Asian Para Games bronze medallist Krishna, who had claimed two gold medals at the Dubai Para badminton International Championships in April, was also over the moon to know about his qualification.
"My preparation is going very well, we are having three sessions everyday and we will improve further and will make India proud at the Paralympics.
"I had played at Dubai event, it was a good experience which helped me to understand my weaknesses where I need to work on. It will help me to give my best at Paralympics."
The COVID-19 pandemic has affected the sport and the training of the athletes in the run-up to the Games and Krishna said it could be tough staying in the bio-bubble but he is focussed on achieving his dream of claiming a medal.
"The current situation due to coronavirus, it is not good but I have full faith from what I have experienced since the COVID-19 breakdown, I don't think safety would be an issue.
"Yes, sometimes it will be tough as there will be a bio-bubble but that is not a big problem, our main target is to achieve a gold in Paralympics."
Among other Indians, Sukant Kadam, Manoj Sarkar and few other prominent players are also expecting their invitations through Bipartite to come on July 16.
The Indian women's pair of Palak Kohli and Parul Parmar last month became the first from the country to receive the invitations for the
Tokyo Paralympics
.This is the first time badminton is being introduced in the Paralympics.
Popular from Sports
- Mumbai Indians create history, become first IPL team to record ...
- Virat Kohli roasted online for Rajat Patidar run-out during DC vs RCB IPL 2025 match
- “Travis Kelce might be her Joe Alwyn 2.0”: Fans speculate Taylor Swift's romance with Travis Kelce is building up to a breakup album
- Sanjiv Goenka memes flood internet again after Rishabh Pant flop show
- 'Virat Kohli and I have spoken about it so many times in last 5-6 years': KL Rahul opens up on IPL regret
end of article
Featured in sports
- IPL match today, RR vs GT: Playing XI Prediction, pitch report, weather update
- Krunal Pandya credits former RCB skipper for his match-winning knock
05:47 Virat Kohli: 'I try and make sure my singles and doubles don't stop...'- Our son is not a topic for your entertainment: Sanjana Ganesan
- Rishabh Pant defends his poor form: 'It's not the right thing to do...'
03:04 Pahalgam Terror Attack: Shoaib Akhtar's YouTube channel banned in India
International Sports
- Who attended Shedeur Sanders’ NFL draft afterparty? Inside the star-studded guest list from his draft celebration
- Who is Jax Ulbrich? Meet the man behind the controversial Shedeur Sanders prank call
- Chiefs quietly sign top undrafted tight end who could become Travis Kelce’s long-term replacement
- Cam Ward throws serious shade at Shedeur Sanders, hinting he isn’t as dedicated to football as his fame suggests
- Bill Belichick awkwardly addresses why Robert Kraft was left out of his new book without explanation
Trending Stories
- Pahalgam terror attack Live Updates: Indian diaspora in US holds peaceful demonstration for Pahalgam terror attack victims
- Karnataka 2nd PUC 2025 revaluation and retotaling result released: Direct link to download marksheets here
- Your duty to strengthen internal security, says PM Modi as he distributes 51,000 appointment letters to new govt staff
05:16 'If you leave now ... ': J&K CM Omar Abdullah has a message for tourists in aftermath of Pahalgam attack- Pahalgam attack aftermath: Deadline over, 509 Pakistani nationals leave via Attari
- Delhi schools receive fresh guidelines to protect students from heatwave
- 'Virat Kohli and I have spoken about it so many times in last 5-6 years': KL Rahul opens up on IPL regret
Photostories
- White Chia Seeds vs Black Chia Seeds: What’s the difference and which is healthier?
- May Trails: 5 breathtaking treks in India to try this summer
- These 7 popular food combos are secretly unhealthy
- Avinash - Deeshal to Abhinav - Rani Kumari: Here is a look at the Top 5 contestants of Jodi Are You Ready 2
- There is just one secret to living beyond 100 years, says 101-year-old doc, and no, it is not food or managing stress
- 'Retro' to 'Maaman': Tamil movies to look forward to in May 2025!
- Alia Bhatt's characters that taught us valuable life lessons
- US doctor warns that eating chia seeds like this can land you in the hospital
- THIS devotee of Lord Shiva fed him meat and sacrificed his eyes in devotion
Top Trends
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment