Hong Kong fire tragedy: Toll rises to 83, flames still visible on Day 2; 3 suspects held for manslaughter
Firefighters continued battling a massive blaze at a high-rise housing complex in Hong Kong for the second day on Thursday, as the death toll climbed to 83 and nearly 300 people remained unaccounted for, according to The Guradian.
Thick smoke and pockets of flame were still visible at the Wang Fuk Court complex in Tai Po, where rescuers moved from flat to flat in dark, charred corridors using flashlights. Hong Kong leader John Lee said earlier that authorities had lost contact with 279 residents, but did not give an updated figure on how many may still be trapped during a Thursday press briefing.
Also read: Miracle rescue - Survivor pulled from gutted Hong Kong building after 24 hrs; toll rises to 65
The blaze began on Wednesday afternoon, believed to have started in bamboo scaffolding and construction netting, before racing up the exterior of a 32-storey block and spreading to seven of the estate’s eight towers, according to AP. By Thursday afternoon, fires in four buildings had been extinguished, while three remained under control.
Rescuers were “battling high temperatures and carefully going up floor by floor”, said Wong Ka Wing, deputy director of fire services, adding that they “don’t rule out rescuing more injured people.”
One firefighter was among the dead, and 70 people were injured. Around 900 residents were evacuated overnight to temporary shelters.
Some residents described chaotic attempts to flee. Lawrence Lee told AP he feared his wife was still inside. “The corridor and stairs were all filled with smoke… so she had no choice but to go back to the flat,” he said.
Another resident, Winter Chung, said they saw sparks while escaping the previous afternoon. “I couldn’t sleep the entire night,” the 75-year-old told AP.
Police arrested three men - directors and an engineering consultant from a construction firm involved in renovation work - on suspicion of manslaughter, AP reported. Senior superintendent Eileen Chung said investigators had “reason to believe that those in charge of the construction company were grossly negligent.”
Officers searched the office of Prestige Construction & Engineering Company, seizing boxes of documents. Phones at the company went unanswered, AP noted.
Authorities said materials on exterior walls may not have met fire-resistance standards. Police also discovered flammable Styrofoam near elevator lobbies in one tower, believed to have been installed by the company. Security chief Chris Tang said the materials would be examined further.
Hong Kong’s anti-corruption agency has launched a separate probe into the renovation project, BBC reported.
Scaffolding, materials under scrutiny as blaze becomes one of Hong Kong’s worst
The estate, built in the 1980s and home to about 4,600 residents, had been undergoing major renovation. Hong Kong uses bamboo scaffolding widely, though authorities earlier announced plans to phase it out for public projects due to safety concerns.
A fire safety expert quoted by AP called the rapid multi-building spread “quite shocking,” noting that regulations are designed to prevent fires from jumping between towers. Materials found on-site may explain the unusual speed, he said.
John Lee said the government would consult industry stakeholders on shifting to metal scaffolding and immediately inspect all housing estates under renovation.
The blaze is Hong Kong’s deadliest fire in decades, surpassing the 1996 Kowloon fire that killed 41 people.
(With inputs from agencies)
Also read: Miracle rescue - Survivor pulled from gutted Hong Kong building after 24 hrs; toll rises to 65
Seven towers engulfed; 900 evacuated
The blaze began on Wednesday afternoon, believed to have started in bamboo scaffolding and construction netting, before racing up the exterior of a 32-storey block and spreading to seven of the estate’s eight towers, according to AP. By Thursday afternoon, fires in four buildings had been extinguished, while three remained under control.
Rescuers were “battling high temperatures and carefully going up floor by floor”, said Wong Ka Wing, deputy director of fire services, adding that they “don’t rule out rescuing more injured people.”
One firefighter was among the dead, and 70 people were injured. Around 900 residents were evacuated overnight to temporary shelters.
Residents recount escape attempts
Some residents described chaotic attempts to flee. Lawrence Lee told AP he feared his wife was still inside. “The corridor and stairs were all filled with smoke… so she had no choice but to go back to the flat,” he said.
Another resident, Winter Chung, said they saw sparks while escaping the previous afternoon. “I couldn’t sleep the entire night,” the 75-year-old told AP.
Three arrested for manslaughter; corruption probe launched
Police arrested three men - directors and an engineering consultant from a construction firm involved in renovation work - on suspicion of manslaughter, AP reported. Senior superintendent Eileen Chung said investigators had “reason to believe that those in charge of the construction company were grossly negligent.”
Officers searched the office of Prestige Construction & Engineering Company, seizing boxes of documents. Phones at the company went unanswered, AP noted.
Authorities said materials on exterior walls may not have met fire-resistance standards. Police also discovered flammable Styrofoam near elevator lobbies in one tower, believed to have been installed by the company. Security chief Chris Tang said the materials would be examined further.
Hong Kong’s anti-corruption agency has launched a separate probe into the renovation project, BBC reported.
Scaffolding, materials under scrutiny as blaze becomes one of Hong Kong’s worst
The estate, built in the 1980s and home to about 4,600 residents, had been undergoing major renovation. Hong Kong uses bamboo scaffolding widely, though authorities earlier announced plans to phase it out for public projects due to safety concerns.
A fire safety expert quoted by AP called the rapid multi-building spread “quite shocking,” noting that regulations are designed to prevent fires from jumping between towers. Materials found on-site may explain the unusual speed, he said.
John Lee said the government would consult industry stakeholders on shifting to metal scaffolding and immediately inspect all housing estates under renovation.
The blaze is Hong Kong’s deadliest fire in decades, surpassing the 1996 Kowloon fire that killed 41 people.
(With inputs from agencies)
Top Comment
S
Swapnil Rao
1 hour ago
Extremely Tragic news. May the Departed Attain Mukti from Cycle of Life and Death and Strength to Family members. Om Shanti Shanti Read allPost comment
Popular from World
- Hong Kong fire: 55 dead, hundreds still missing; videos show flames leaping from high-rise towers
- '27th floor, room 1 — he is dead': Eyewitnesses recall deadly Hong Kong fire; what sparked the tragedy?
- White House shooting: Video shows US cops pinning Afghan shooter to ground in a chaotic aftermath; first pic released
- White House shooting: Suspect from 'hellhole' Afghanistan entered US in 2021, says Donald Trump; calls it an 'act of terror'
- 'All immigration requests …': US takes major step after Afghan national named shooter; entry traced to 2021
end of article
Trending Stories
- WPL Auction: Deepti Sharma tops charts as costliest buy
- MI squad WPL 2026: Mumbai Indians Women full players list, team squad & updates
- Saudi Arabia introduces new corporate dress code: What workers must wear now
- Planning terror attack: Police nab 19-year-old Jammu teen; cops suspect Pakistan link
- WPL Auction 2026: Who Got Whom - Base Price, Final Bid and Team Details
- WPL auction 2026: Full list of sold and unsold players, base price, top buys, and team details
- WPL 2026: Fourth edition to begin on January 9; Navi Mumbai & Vadodara to host all matches
Featured in world
- H-1B row: What is Project Firewall? Initiative warns companies to hire Americans first or face penalties for favouring foreigners
- ‘A long fight’: Southeast Asia battles with widespread flooding; over 80 dead in Thailand, hundreds missing in Sumatra
- Nuclear race: Putin warns to be ‘ready for any development’, says can discuss stability with US
- Hong Kong fire tragedy: Toll rises to 75, flames still visible on Day 2; 3 suspects held for manslaughter
- Desi MAGA backer: Who is Nalin Haley? Son of Indian-origin ex-US ambassador taking on Vivek Ramaswamy
- Was Kyle Divine arrested? Strong rumors rise as KaizenDIYGym influencer faces troubling stepdaughter accusations
Photostories
- Millie Bobby Brown's promotional looks for ‘Stranger Things 5’
- Despite 180 flops and 47 disasters, THIS actor became a cult icon in Russia — His name will surprise you
- Stressed at work? Doctor explains you could be closer to diabetes than you think
- 5 best utensils for daily cooking and how much nutrients they can retain
- Restricted skies: 5 no-fly zones in India and why planes avoid them
- Dhanush to Kriti Sanon: 5 best fashion looks of the day that are setting major style goals
- 10 surprising things about pregnancy that no one tells you
- 10 unique seven-letter baby names loved by new parents
- How to make South Indian-Style Beetroot Poha for Breakfast
- Signs that Shani is Upset With You
Videos
03:47 NATO Allies Panic As Trump Pushes For Peace Deal Before Security Guarantees For Ukraine08:42 Terror Strikes DC: Trump Wants To Send Afghan Refugees Back Home, Rightwing Lawmaker Blames Muslims06:24 Putin Reveals Big Plan To Arm Neighbours With Modern Russian Weapons Amid War Fears With NATO03:05 China OUTSMARTS U.S. Again; Unveils Low-Cost, Mass-Produced Hypersonic Missile YKJ-1000 | Watch03:31 FBI Launches U.S. Offensive After DC Attack; All Forces Mobilised, Declares Kash Patel | US News05:59 U.S. Senate Explodes Over China Threat; “Catastrophic Consequences If Taiwan Is Invaded...' | WATCH05:50 Trump STRIKES HARD, BLOWS UP ‘Creepy’ Health Rumours; ‘These Left Lunatics Can’t…’ | Watch03:56 JD Vance & Family Serve Thanksgiving Meal To US Soldiers At Fort Campbell | Watch04:12 REVEALED: DC Shooter Rahmanullah's Pics Emerge From His Days With US Military In Afghanistan
Up Next