Hong Kong high-rise blaze: Death toll climbs to 94 as firefighters cite major hurdles - latest developments
Firefighters in Hong Kong battled for a second day to extinguish a devastating blaze that tore through the Wang Fuk Court apartment complex, with the death toll rising to 94 in what officials describe as one of the city’s worst disasters in decades. Scores remain unaccounted for as rescuers continue combing charred flats in the Tai Po district.
Thick smoke was still seeping from upper floors on Thursday as rescuers moved from unit to unit with flashlights, navigating blackened corridors and unstable debris. The fire, which spread rapidly across seven of the estate’s eight towers, engulfed parts of the 32-storey blocks for more than 24 hours after first erupting on Wednesday afternoon.
Deputy director of Fire Services Operations Derek Armstrong Chan said: “Our firefighting operation is almost complete.” He added that crews were working hard “to prevent the debris and embers from flaring up. What’s next is the search and rescue operation.”
Chan said crews “faced many hurdles”, citing the speed of the fire’s spread, the need to divert manpower to handle constant calls for help, and dangerous conditions inside the towers. “Debris and scaffolding were falling from upper floors,” he said. Emergency vehicles were unable to reach parts of the site, blocked by collapsed bamboo scaffolding and construction materials.
Extreme heat and darkness hampered progress, forcing rescuers to fight flames and assist trapped residents with limited visibility. Video from the scene showed firefighters working in heavily smoke-filled rooms as sparks continued to erupt from several windows.
Authorities confirmed that at least 76 people were injured, including 11 firefighters. Twelve survivors are in critical condition, while 28 remain in serious condition.
Officials said the fire was believed to have started in bamboo scaffolding and plastic netting wrapped around the buildings for major renovation work. Hong Kong’s anti-corruption body has launched a probe into the construction project, and police have arrested three men on suspicion of negligently leaving foam packaging on site.
Residents told AFP they heard no fire alarms and had relied on knocking doors to warn neighbours. “The fire spread so quickly,” said a resident surnamed Suen. “Ringing doorbells, knocking on doors, alerting the neighbours, telling them to leave — that’s what the situation was like.”
City leader John Lee said contact had been lost early Thursday with 279 people, although firefighters later confirmed they had reached some of them. The government plans a full investigation and safety review of all estates undergoing repair work.
As dawn broke on Friday, firefighters said the blaze could be fully extinguished overnight, allowing a full count of those still missing once every flat has been opened and searched.
Deputy director of Fire Services Operations Derek Armstrong Chan said: “Our firefighting operation is almost complete.” He added that crews were working hard “to prevent the debris and embers from flaring up. What’s next is the search and rescue operation.”
Firefighters describe severe obstacles
Chan said crews “faced many hurdles”, citing the speed of the fire’s spread, the need to divert manpower to handle constant calls for help, and dangerous conditions inside the towers. “Debris and scaffolding were falling from upper floors,” he said. Emergency vehicles were unable to reach parts of the site, blocked by collapsed bamboo scaffolding and construction materials.
Extreme heat and darkness hampered progress, forcing rescuers to fight flames and assist trapped residents with limited visibility. Video from the scene showed firefighters working in heavily smoke-filled rooms as sparks continued to erupt from several windows.
Cause under investigation as anger grows
Officials said the fire was believed to have started in bamboo scaffolding and plastic netting wrapped around the buildings for major renovation work. Hong Kong’s anti-corruption body has launched a probe into the construction project, and police have arrested three men on suspicion of negligently leaving foam packaging on site.
Residents told AFP they heard no fire alarms and had relied on knocking doors to warn neighbours. “The fire spread so quickly,” said a resident surnamed Suen. “Ringing doorbells, knocking on doors, alerting the neighbours, telling them to leave — that’s what the situation was like.”
City leader John Lee said contact had been lost early Thursday with 279 people, although firefighters later confirmed they had reached some of them. The government plans a full investigation and safety review of all estates undergoing repair work.
As dawn broke on Friday, firefighters said the blaze could be fully extinguished overnight, allowing a full count of those still missing once every flat has been opened and searched.
Top Comment
P
Peruvemba Krishnan
31 minutes ago
A warning to All High Rise Buildings in India. With scant respect to Regulations and absence of Emergency evacuation procedures, it's a waiting to happen. The Politicians -Builders nexus be damned.Read allPost comment
Popular from World
- 'JD to dump Usha Vance for Erika Kirk': How Joy Reid normalised Hinduphobia and misogyny
- Saudi Arabia proposes unified workplace dress code: What might be on the cards for corporate employees
- South Africa fires back as Trump torches it over 'white genocide' and threatens G-20 ban
- 'Getting involved in criminal activities': UAE halts visas for most Pakistanis; stops short of banning passport
- ‘Charge H-1B, F-1 visa holders’: Row erupts as Interior Department reforms national park fees; US residents to pay $80, non-residents $250
end of article
Trending Stories
- “They suffered a lot”: Vanessa Bryant recounts the devastating experience of recovering Kobe Bryant and Gianna Bryant’s clothing from the crash site
- Who is Reed Sheppard's girlfriend Brailey Dizney? Exploring personal life of Houston Rockets point guard
- MI squad WPL 2026: Mumbai Indians Women full players list, team squad & updates
- Saudi Arabia introduces new corporate dress code: What workers must wear now
- Planning terror attack: Police nab 19-year-old Jammu teen; cops suspect Pakistan link
- WPL Auction 2026: Who Got Whom - Base Price, Final Bid and Team Details
- WPL auction 2026: Full list of sold and unsold players, base price, top buys, and team details
Featured in world
- Russia-Ukraine war: Putin says US plan ‘could form basis’ of ceasefire deal
- National Guard troop shot near White House dies; second victim critical, Trump says
- Why some long-time YouTube channels are disappearing without warning
- Who was Fuzzy Zoeller? Famous two-time major champion golfer dies at 74 after Masters history
- 'You have a criminal record': Indian-origin Sikh man stopped from entering Canada from US, interaction goes viral
- Watch: Zohran Mamdani does the iconic Shah Rukh Khan pose while guessing Bollywood songs with Mehdi Hasan
Photostories
- 5 winter foods that naturally mimic Ozempic
- Did Nike just collaborate with ‘Stranger Things’? Here's how Indians can grab the collection
- What is the ideal meal to sleep gap time, and why it is important for digestion and better sleep
- Malayalam cinema legends who made every frame shine with raw talent
- Bollywood gems reviving forgotten tales with fresh heart and magic for a new generation of cinema lovers everywhere
- Fun facts about the ‘Stranger Things’ cast
- From ‘Apne’ to ‘Rocky Aur Rani Kii Prem Kahaani’: Dharmendra movies you can watch on OTT platforms
- ‘Stranger Things 5’: Meet the new cast and find out who survives the final battle
- ‘Stranger Things’ cast: Then and now
- ‘Stranger Things’ cast: Educational qualifications
Videos
03:08 Putin Laughs Off Europe's Economy, Cites Example Of Russia And China | 'Learn If You Can…’03:59 Trump Warns Allies On Migration After Shocking Attack Near White House By Afghan Man03:01 'Historic Ruling’: Lula Hails Bolsonaro’s 27-Year Coup Sentence As Global ‘Democracy Lesson’10:41 Lukashenko's Big Warning Amid Ukraine War Talks, Warns Against 'Complacency' | Watch04:17 Venezuela Minister Tears Into Rubio, Accuses Him Of ‘Dividing US’ For SECRET 2028 Power Plot03:25 'No Russian Threat At All': French Rage Explodes As Macron’s Troop Proposal Sparks Revolt05:15 ‘DIRECT MILITARY SHOWDOWN…’: Russia Sounds Alarm Over Europe’s Rapid War-Posture Shift | Details05:39 Putin Breaks Silence On U.S. Leak Scandal, Warns Of Deep Western Infighting & Strained Dialogue04:01 Massive 'US-Led War Move' Revealed Amid Trump Proposed Talks; Russia Claims ‘Foreign Fighters Sent…’
Up Next