Miracle rescue: Survivor pulled from gutted Hong Kong building after 24 hrs; toll rises to 65
A man trapped for more than 24 hours inside one of the high-rise towers at Hong Kong’s Wang Fuk Court residential complex was pulled out alive on Thursday evening, even as the death toll from the devastating blaze climbed to at least 65, fire officials said.
The survivor was located on the 16th floor of Wang Tai House, one of the buildings inside the complex, according to a fire department update released at 8 pm local time. Seventy others have been reported injured, including 10 firefighters, while one firefighter is among the dead.
Also read: Hong Kong fire tragedy - Toll rises to 65, flames still visible on Day 2, 3 suspects held for manslaughter
The rescue came as emergency crews continued to battle a fire of scale and intensity unseen in Hong Kong in decades. While parts of the complex have been brought under control, teams on the ground say the risk of collapse and extreme heat inside the structures has slowed efforts to reach those still missing or stranded.
In response to the mounting casualties and rising trauma among survivors, Hong Kong Chief Executive John Lee announced the rollout of a “one social worker per household” system to support families affected by the disaster. The administration will also deploy psychologists to help provide emotional assistance. These measures, he said, are intended to help residents cope with loss, displacement and prolonged uncertainty as the rescue operation continues.
More than a day after the blaze first broke out, thick smoke continued to drift from the remains of multiple high-rise blocks inside Wang Fuk Court. Fire officials confirmed that the flames have been extinguished in four towers, while three more remain under control. Despite progress, emergency teams are navigating dangerous structural conditions, collapsed scaffolding and intense heat pockets that make deep-entry rescue both slow and hazardous.
The scale of the crisis has required more than 1,200 firefighters, marking what authorities say is the deadliest building fire in Hong Kong in over 50 years. Residents who managed to escape described chaotic scenes with flames racing vertically up the building exteriors, leaving many trapped inside units without alarm or warning.
Authorities continue to investigate what allowed the blaze to spread so rapidly across multiple residential towers. The fire began around 2.50 pm Wednesday before racing up the structure, aided by bamboo scaffolding that wrapped the exterior for ongoing construction.
Police announced Thursday that two directors of a construction company and a consultant have been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter. Senior police superintendent Lai Yee Chung said foam boards known to be highly flammable had been installed on every floor outside elevator lobbies. Authorities believe the use of such material may amount to “gross negligence.”
The Wang Fuk Court complex, constructed in the early 1980s, houses roughly 2,000 apartments. With dozens still missing, families spent Thursday scanning photographs of the deceased displayed at shelters set up by city authorities.
Temporary accommodation has been opened in community centres and a nearby school, giving hundreds of displaced residents a place to sleep as the fire response continues. Many among them say warnings never reached their units and they escaped only because they spotted the blaze themselves.
The tragedy has renewed debate over Hong Kong’s widespread use of bamboo scaffolding, a construction practice that authorities last year vowed to phase out in favour of steel. In October, fire officials linked another major blaze in the city’s Central district to bamboo frames that fuelled rapid flame spread. The Wang Fuk Court disaster is now expected to accelerate regulatory changes already underway.
More than two dozen people remain missing, officials said late Thursday. Firefighters continue to work floor by floor, often moving only metres at a time as temperatures inside some units remain dangerously high. Equipment limitations have slowed access to upper floors; ladder trucks have only been able to reach half the height of the 32-story towers, far below the level where residents are believed to be trapped.
As rescue teams search for survivors and families prepare for news that may still worsen, Thursday’s dramatic extraction of a man from the 16th floor stands as the first major moment of hope in a catastrophe defined by loss.
The survivor is stable, officials said. For others, the wait continues.
Also read: Hong Kong fire tragedy - Toll rises to 65, flames still visible on Day 2, 3 suspects held for manslaughter
The rescue came as emergency crews continued to battle a fire of scale and intensity unseen in Hong Kong in decades. While parts of the complex have been brought under control, teams on the ground say the risk of collapse and extreme heat inside the structures has slowed efforts to reach those still missing or stranded.
Hong Kong government deploys social workers and psychologists to affected families
In response to the mounting casualties and rising trauma among survivors, Hong Kong Chief Executive John Lee announced the rollout of a “one social worker per household” system to support families affected by the disaster. The administration will also deploy psychologists to help provide emotional assistance. These measures, he said, are intended to help residents cope with loss, displacement and prolonged uncertainty as the rescue operation continues.
Aftermath and emergency response: Row after row of charred towers
More than a day after the blaze first broke out, thick smoke continued to drift from the remains of multiple high-rise blocks inside Wang Fuk Court. Fire officials confirmed that the flames have been extinguished in four towers, while three more remain under control. Despite progress, emergency teams are navigating dangerous structural conditions, collapsed scaffolding and intense heat pockets that make deep-entry rescue both slow and hazardous.
Cause of fire still uncertain, but construction negligence suspected
Authorities continue to investigate what allowed the blaze to spread so rapidly across multiple residential towers. The fire began around 2.50 pm Wednesday before racing up the structure, aided by bamboo scaffolding that wrapped the exterior for ongoing construction.
Police announced Thursday that two directors of a construction company and a consultant have been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter. Senior police superintendent Lai Yee Chung said foam boards known to be highly flammable had been installed on every floor outside elevator lobbies. Authorities believe the use of such material may amount to “gross negligence.”
Community grief deepens as search continues
The Wang Fuk Court complex, constructed in the early 1980s, houses roughly 2,000 apartments. With dozens still missing, families spent Thursday scanning photographs of the deceased displayed at shelters set up by city authorities.
Temporary accommodation has been opened in community centres and a nearby school, giving hundreds of displaced residents a place to sleep as the fire response continues. Many among them say warnings never reached their units and they escaped only because they spotted the blaze themselves.
Bamboo scaffolding under scrutiny again
The tragedy has renewed debate over Hong Kong’s widespread use of bamboo scaffolding, a construction practice that authorities last year vowed to phase out in favour of steel. In October, fire officials linked another major blaze in the city’s Central district to bamboo frames that fuelled rapid flame spread. The Wang Fuk Court disaster is now expected to accelerate regulatory changes already underway.
Longest and deadliest rescue in decades — and not yet over
More than two dozen people remain missing, officials said late Thursday. Firefighters continue to work floor by floor, often moving only metres at a time as temperatures inside some units remain dangerously high. Equipment limitations have slowed access to upper floors; ladder trucks have only been able to reach half the height of the 32-story towers, far below the level where residents are believed to be trapped.
As rescue teams search for survivors and families prepare for news that may still worsen, Thursday’s dramatic extraction of a man from the 16th floor stands as the first major moment of hope in a catastrophe defined by loss.
The survivor is stable, officials said. For others, the wait continues.
Popular from World
- Hong Kong fire: 55 dead, hundreds still missing; videos show flames leaping from high-rise towers
- '27th floor, room 1 — he is dead': Eyewitnesses recall deadly Hong Kong fire; what sparked the tragedy?
- White House shooting: Video shows US cops pinning Afghan shooter to ground in a chaotic aftermath; first pic released
- White House shooting: Suspect from 'hellhole' Afghanistan entered US in 2021, says Donald Trump; calls it an 'act of terror'
- 'All immigration requests …': US takes major step after Afghan national named shooter; entry traced to 2021
end of article
Trending Stories
- WPL Auction: UP secure Deepti Sharma, DC acquire Sree Charani
- WPL Auction 2026: Who Got Whom - Base Price, Final Bid and Team Details
- WPL 2026: Fourth edition to begin on January 9; Navi Mumbai & Vadodara to host all matches
- 'Sorry': Rishabh Pant posts emotional message after 0-2 drubbing against South Africa
- 'A challenging time’: Jemimah Rodrigues withdraws from WBBL to support Smriti Mandhana after wedding is postponed
- Detroit Lions and Dallas Cowboys unveil mouthwatering menu just hours before their annual Thanksgiving matchups
- 4 bank jobs closing soon that candidates should not miss: Check eligibility, deadlines, and where to apply
Featured in world
- Polymarket legal officer Neal Kumar apologises after company posts racial slur targeting Indians
- US investor slams 'comically broken' e-visa application process in India: 'If you can survive it...'
- Qatar Education Ministry unveil new 2025-2026 exam calendar and flexible working hours
- Two National Guard soldiers shot; US suspends immigration requests of Afghans
- AI reunites lost Pak woman with family: Kiran went missing at age 10, returns after 17 years
- Candace Owens puts her show off air after she claims Emmanuel Macron tried to harm her and was tied to Charlie Kirk’s death
Photostories
- 5 places in the world you can’t set foot in — and why
- Inside the glamorous world of Manish Malhotra’s Bandra bungalow
- Baby names that are banned in the US
- Bruce Lee's birthday: Ten fun facts you didn't know about the Little Dragon
- Stranger Things kids growing up; Find out their real ages in 2025!
- Decoding Keerthy Suresh’s best rush-hour fashion looks for ‘Revolver Rita’ promotions | See pics
- A bowl of papaya for breakfast: How it impacts a person's health when consumed daily
- Bollywood family dramas that touch all generations and keep emotions alive in films audiences love to watch again always
- Ahmedabad Gears Up for CWG 2030: Inside Venues, Timelines, Infra Boom & Legacy Plans
- 8 most beautiful moons of solar system
Videos
05:59 U.S. Senate Explodes Over China Threat; “Catastrophic Consequences If Taiwan Is Invaded...' | WATCH05:50 Trump STRIKES HARD, BLOWS UP ‘Creepy’ Health Rumours; ‘These Left Lunatics Can’t…’ | Watch03:56 JD Vance & Family Serve Thanksgiving Meal To US Soldiers At Fort Campbell | Watch04:12 REVEALED: DC Shooter Rahmanullah's Pics Emerge From His Days With US Military In Afghanistan06:03 Ukraine Soldiers Not Ready To Fight? Rebellion In Kharkiv Hits Zelensky Amid Russian Onslaught05:30 'WON'T TOLERATE': Ramaphosa Launches Brutal Attack On Trump; South Africa Tears Into US Over G20 Ban05:44 Afghan Who Shot National Guard Tied To CIA, U.S. Special Forces; Ratcliffe Drops Bombshell In DC04:15 Reagan Airport Briefly HALTS Flights After National Guard Shooting In Washington DC04:06 Mohajer Drones: Born In War, Iran Transformed UAVs Into Strategic Power Assets Against West & Israel
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment