Hundreds march in silence to honor victims of Swiss bar fire that left 40 dead
CRANS-MONTANA: Hundreds marched in silence Sunday to honor the victims of the New Year's Eve fire at a bar in the Swiss Alpine resort of Crans-Montana, which left 40 dead and many severely injured.
Somber mourners, many with reddened eyes, filed silently out of the chapel to organ music after the hourlong Mass at the Chapelle Saint-Christophe in Crans-Montana. Some exchanged hugs, others applauded, before joining the silent march up the hill to Le Constellation bar.
Many hundreds of people, some cradling flower bouquets, walked in the dense snaking procession in the bright sunlight past shuttered stores. Up on the mountain overlooking the town, snow machines sent plumes of white flakes into the air.
At the top of the street, in front of Le Constellation that is still largely shielded from view by white screens, the swelling crowd stood in near total silence, some weeping. Then they broke out into sustained applause - hands in gloves and mittens against the cold - as a stream of mourners and well-wishers deposited flower bouquets at a makeshift memorial piled with flowers, cuddly toys and other tributes.
"We are going through a moment of crushing darkness but we are going through it together," one speaker said.
During the Mass, the Rev. Gilles Cavin spoke of the "terrible uncertainty" for families unsure if their loved ones are among the dead or still alive among the injured. "We pray for their friends hard hit by misery on this day that was meant to be one of festivities and friendship," he said.
In the crowded pews, a grieving woman listened intently, her hands clasped tightly and sometimes clasping rosary beads, as speakers delivered readings in German, French and Italian.
Forty people died and 119 were injured in the blaze that broke out around 1.30 am on Thursday at Le Constellation bar. Police have said many of the victims were in their teens to mid-20s.
By Sunday morning, Swiss authorities identified 24 out of the 40 fatalities. They include 18 Swiss citizens aged 14 to 31 years, two Italians 16 years old, one dual citizen of Italy and the United Arab Emirates also 16 years old, an 18-year-old Romanian, a 39-year-old French and a Turkish citizen, 18.
A grieving mother One of the victims was 16-year old Arthur Brodard, whose mother had been frantically searching for him.
"Our Arthur has now left to party in paradise," a visibly shaken Laetitia Brodard said in a Facebook story posted on Saturday night, speaking to camera. "We can start our mourning, knowing that he is in peace and in the light."
Brodard's frenzied search for her son reflected the desperation of families of the young people disappeared during the fire, who did not know whether their loved ones were dead or in the hospital.
Swiss authorities said the process of identifying victims was particularly hard because of the advanced degree of the burns, requiring the use of DNA samples. Brodard also had given her DNA sample to help in the identification process.
In her Facebook post, Brodard thanked those who "testified their compassion, their love" and to those who shared information as she anxiously searched and waited for news of her son. Other parents and siblings are still waiting in anguish.
Bar managers face a criminal investigation Swiss authorities have opened a criminal investigation of the bar managers.
The two are suspected of involuntary homicide, involuntary bodily harm and involuntarily causing a fire, the Valais region's chief prosecutor, Beatrice Pilloud, told reporters Saturday. The announcement of the investigation did not name the managers.
Investigators said Friday they believe sparkling candles atop Champagne bottles ignited the fire when they came too close to the ceiling of the crowded bar.
Authorities planned to look into whether sound-dampening material on the ceiling conformed with regulations and whether the candles were permitted for use in the bar. Officials said they also would look at other safety measures on the premises, including fire extinguishers and escape routes.
Swiss President Guy Parmelin announced a national day of mourning for the victims on Jan. 9.
France's Health Minister Stephanie Rist said 17 patients have received care in France, out of a total of 35 transferred from Switzerland to five European countries. Other patients were planned to be transferred to Germany, Italy and Belgium.
Many hundreds of people, some cradling flower bouquets, walked in the dense snaking procession in the bright sunlight past shuttered stores. Up on the mountain overlooking the town, snow machines sent plumes of white flakes into the air.
At the top of the street, in front of Le Constellation that is still largely shielded from view by white screens, the swelling crowd stood in near total silence, some weeping. Then they broke out into sustained applause - hands in gloves and mittens against the cold - as a stream of mourners and well-wishers deposited flower bouquets at a makeshift memorial piled with flowers, cuddly toys and other tributes.
"We are going through a moment of crushing darkness but we are going through it together," one speaker said.
During the Mass, the Rev. Gilles Cavin spoke of the "terrible uncertainty" for families unsure if their loved ones are among the dead or still alive among the injured. "We pray for their friends hard hit by misery on this day that was meant to be one of festivities and friendship," he said.
In the crowded pews, a grieving woman listened intently, her hands clasped tightly and sometimes clasping rosary beads, as speakers delivered readings in German, French and Italian.
By Sunday morning, Swiss authorities identified 24 out of the 40 fatalities. They include 18 Swiss citizens aged 14 to 31 years, two Italians 16 years old, one dual citizen of Italy and the United Arab Emirates also 16 years old, an 18-year-old Romanian, a 39-year-old French and a Turkish citizen, 18.
A grieving mother One of the victims was 16-year old Arthur Brodard, whose mother had been frantically searching for him.
"Our Arthur has now left to party in paradise," a visibly shaken Laetitia Brodard said in a Facebook story posted on Saturday night, speaking to camera. "We can start our mourning, knowing that he is in peace and in the light."
Brodard's frenzied search for her son reflected the desperation of families of the young people disappeared during the fire, who did not know whether their loved ones were dead or in the hospital.
Swiss authorities said the process of identifying victims was particularly hard because of the advanced degree of the burns, requiring the use of DNA samples. Brodard also had given her DNA sample to help in the identification process.
In her Facebook post, Brodard thanked those who "testified their compassion, their love" and to those who shared information as she anxiously searched and waited for news of her son. Other parents and siblings are still waiting in anguish.
Bar managers face a criminal investigation Swiss authorities have opened a criminal investigation of the bar managers.
The two are suspected of involuntary homicide, involuntary bodily harm and involuntarily causing a fire, the Valais region's chief prosecutor, Beatrice Pilloud, told reporters Saturday. The announcement of the investigation did not name the managers.
Investigators said Friday they believe sparkling candles atop Champagne bottles ignited the fire when they came too close to the ceiling of the crowded bar.
Authorities planned to look into whether sound-dampening material on the ceiling conformed with regulations and whether the candles were permitted for use in the bar. Officials said they also would look at other safety measures on the premises, including fire extinguishers and escape routes.
Swiss President Guy Parmelin announced a national day of mourning for the victims on Jan. 9.
France's Health Minister Stephanie Rist said 17 patients have received care in France, out of a total of 35 transferred from Switzerland to five European countries. Other patients were planned to be transferred to Germany, Italy and Belgium.
Popular from World
- 'Over 150 aircraft': From Trump’s go-ahead to handcuffed Maduro — how US carried out Operation 'Absolute Resolve' in under five hours
- Trump shares first image of captured Maduro; Venezuela president on board US warship - see pic
- ‘Hope India is watching’: Indian‑American venture capitalist says Venezuela’s Russian military equipment ‘crumbled’ under US attack
- Trump sends warning to Mexico, Cuba and Colombia after invading Venezuela: 'Something has to be done...'
- 'Venezuelan forces were waiting': Trump details how US carried out Caracas strikes; gives 'larger attack' warning
end of article
Trending Stories
- Vijay Hazare Trophy Live: Hardik Pandya smashes sensational ton, eyes on Pant
- MLB trade rumors: Yankees not budging on Cody Bellinger deal as Angels predict strong push for Nolan Arenado
- Scottie Pippen’s net worth in 2025-2026: Exploring Hall of Famer and former Chicago Bulls forward's career earnings, contract details, and more
03:26 'Victory of the Hindus': After Shah Rukh Khan draws flak, BCCI asks KKR to release Bangladesh player; BJP hails move- Jackson Chourio vs Matthew Boyd net worth comparison: MLB contracts, salaries, and financial gap
- Venezuela explosions Live: Trump says US carried out 'large-scale strike' on Venezuela
- Bank holiday on Hazrat Ali: Where are banks closed on January 3? Check list
Featured in world
- North Korea launches ballistic missiles toward sea; timing coincides with Seoul leader’s China trip
- Behind the scenes: White House releases images of Donald Trump monitoring Nicolás Maduro's capture; see pics
- Saudi Finance Minister approves SR217 ($57.9) billion borrowing plan for 2026
06:59 US strikes in Venezuela: Did Trump have authority to capture Maduro? What the law says- Drugs, oil, illegal immigration: Why Donald Trump ordered Venezuela strikes; what we know so far
11:46 Escorted off plane in handcuffs: First video shows Nicolás Maduro in US custody; wishes agents ‘happy new year’ at DEA office
Photostories
- The right daily walking distance to improve fitness, according to research
- Morning or evening, when is the right time to consume magnesium supplement
- Beautiful and unique baby girl names that are perfect for your firstborn
- Nine Planets and What To Donate To Appease The Planets
- 5 signs that over-exposure to social media is causing attention problems in teens
- 7 yoga poses to increase cognitive and concentration power
- 10 powerful things to do after the first full moon for a great start to 2026
- 2026 travel bucket list: 8 visa-free countries for Indian passport holders
- 7 foods to pair with eggs for maximum benefits
- The 7 wonders of the world to see and experience in 2026
Videos
11:28 Maduro Yelps In Pain, Says 'Good Night, Happy New Year!' As Trump’s Men Jail Him In New York | Watch05:33 'NO OIL, GOLD FOR US': Maduro’s Deputy Delcy Rodríguez TRASHES Trump’s Solution To Run Venezuela06:59 Maduro Predicted Own Fall? Venezuela President Offers Trump Oil In Final Interview Before 'KIDNAP'08:31 Trump Details Final Seconds Of Maduro's Capture: Fortress, Steel Doors, Gunfire & Failed Bid To Flee11:46 Maduro Lands In US: FBI Escorts Handcuffed Venezuelan President; THUMBS UP At DEA Office On Cam09:54 Trump's Venezuela Invasion Sparks Rare MAGA Rebellion; MTG, Masssie Erupt | 'Russia, China Will...'13:39 'US CROSSED RED LINES': China, Russia To RETALIATE Against Trump's Maduro Abduction From Venezuela?14:22 'Will Sell To China, Russia': Trump Lays Out Plans For Venezuelan Oil After Maduro Capture11:32 U.S. Special Forces To Capture Maduro Ally From Another Latin American Nation? Tensions Explode
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment