This story is from December 17, 2023
Israeli army says it uncovered biggest Hamas tunnel yet
EREZ, PALESTINIAN TERRITORIES: The Israeli army said on Sunday it had uncovered the biggest Hamas tunnel in the Gaza Strip so far, just a few hundred metres from a key border crossing.
Such was its size that small vehicles would be able to travel within the tunnel, an AFP photographer granted access to it reported.
The underground passage formed part of a wider branching network that stretched for over four kilometres (2.5 miles) and came within 400 metres (1,300 feet) of the Erez border crossing, the army said in a statement.
It cost millions of dollars and took years to construct, Israeli forces said, with the project lead by Mohamed Yahya, brother of Hamas chief Yahya Sinwar, who is believed to have masterminded the October 7 attacks.
The honeycomb of passageways features a drainage systems, electricity, ventilation, sewage and a communication network as well as rails.
The floor is compacted earth while its walls are reinforced concrete and its entrance is a metal cylinder with 1.5 centimetre (half-inch) thick walls.
Footage released by the Israeli army, which it said was filmed by Hamas, showed a small construction vehicle being driven into the tunnel, an extensive temporary warehouse filled with pre-cast concrete for lining the walls and workers digging beneath the earth using crude power tools.
The Israeli army said it had found a large number of weapons stored in the tunnel, ready to be used in an attack.
Hamas had expended huge resources in the project, said Lieutenant Colonel Richard Hecht, an army spokesman, and did so to "serve only one purpose -- attacking the State of Israel and its residents".
He said the tunnel was deliberately built near the Erez crossing, which Israel uses to facilitate the strictly controlled entry of Palestinian workers and those travelling for medical care.
"For Hamas, attacking the people of Israel continues to take priority over supporting the people of Gaza," he said.
The Islamist militant group launched a surprise attack against southern Israel on October 7, killing around 1,140 people, mostly civilians, and taking about 250 hostages, according to the latest Israeli figures.
In response, Israel set out to destroy Hamas and launched a relentless bombardment and ground invasion of the Gaza Strip to achieve that goal.
The Hamas-run health ministry in Gaza says Israel has killed more than 18,800 people, mostly women and children, during the war.
Dubbed the "Gaza Metro" by the Israeli military, the labyrinth of tunnels beneath the coastal territory was initially devised as a way of circumventing the crushing Israeli-Egyptian blockade, in place since 2007.
Hundreds of tunnels were built under the border with Egypt and into the Sinai Desert, allowing people, goods and weapons to cross into Gaza from the outside world.
Since the 2014 war with Israel, the tunnel network has been expanded and Hamas has made frequent use of it to facilitate its rocket launches.
A study published on October 17 by the Modern War Institute at the US military academy West Point said there were 1,300 tunnels stretching over 500 kilometres (310 miles).
The Israeli army said at the beginning of December that it had discovered more than 800 tunnels, with 500 destroyed.
Reports in Israeli media last week said that the army was considering flooding the tunnels with seawater pumped from the Mediterranean and had already conducted succesful tests.
Israel attacks Iran
The underground passage formed part of a wider branching network that stretched for over four kilometres (2.5 miles) and came within 400 metres (1,300 feet) of the Erez border crossing, the army said in a statement.
It cost millions of dollars and took years to construct, Israeli forces said, with the project lead by Mohamed Yahya, brother of Hamas chief Yahya Sinwar, who is believed to have masterminded the October 7 attacks.
The honeycomb of passageways features a drainage systems, electricity, ventilation, sewage and a communication network as well as rails.
The floor is compacted earth while its walls are reinforced concrete and its entrance is a metal cylinder with 1.5 centimetre (half-inch) thick walls.
Footage released by the Israeli army, which it said was filmed by Hamas, showed a small construction vehicle being driven into the tunnel, an extensive temporary warehouse filled with pre-cast concrete for lining the walls and workers digging beneath the earth using crude power tools.
Hamas had expended huge resources in the project, said Lieutenant Colonel Richard Hecht, an army spokesman, and did so to "serve only one purpose -- attacking the State of Israel and its residents".
He said the tunnel was deliberately built near the Erez crossing, which Israel uses to facilitate the strictly controlled entry of Palestinian workers and those travelling for medical care.
"For Hamas, attacking the people of Israel continues to take priority over supporting the people of Gaza," he said.
The Islamist militant group launched a surprise attack against southern Israel on October 7, killing around 1,140 people, mostly civilians, and taking about 250 hostages, according to the latest Israeli figures.
In response, Israel set out to destroy Hamas and launched a relentless bombardment and ground invasion of the Gaza Strip to achieve that goal.
The Hamas-run health ministry in Gaza says Israel has killed more than 18,800 people, mostly women and children, during the war.
Dubbed the "Gaza Metro" by the Israeli military, the labyrinth of tunnels beneath the coastal territory was initially devised as a way of circumventing the crushing Israeli-Egyptian blockade, in place since 2007.
Hundreds of tunnels were built under the border with Egypt and into the Sinai Desert, allowing people, goods and weapons to cross into Gaza from the outside world.
Since the 2014 war with Israel, the tunnel network has been expanded and Hamas has made frequent use of it to facilitate its rocket launches.
A study published on October 17 by the Modern War Institute at the US military academy West Point said there were 1,300 tunnels stretching over 500 kilometres (310 miles).
The Israeli army said at the beginning of December that it had discovered more than 800 tunnels, with 500 destroyed.
Reports in Israeli media last week said that the army was considering flooding the tunnels with seawater pumped from the Mediterranean and had already conducted succesful tests.
Top Comment
u
user
802 days ago
Mass massacre should stop to give peace a chance Read allPost comment
Popular from World
- Satellite image shows impact of US-Israel strike on Iran Supreme Leader Khamenei's palace
- Iran targets Qatar: Falling missile debris creates panic in Doha – Watch
- Iran tells UN it will continue self-defence and considers US, Israeli bases as targets- top developments
- Iran defence minister Amir Hatami and IRGC commander Mohammad Pakpour killed in Israeli strikes: Report
- Bored of Peace? Half of Donald Trump's Board of Peace is at war
end of article
Trending Stories
- Israel Attack Iran Live Updates: Missiles strike US navy headquarters in Bahrain; explosions heard in Abu Dhabi
- PAK vs SL: Pakistan knocked out of T20 World Cup despite win over Sri Lanka
- US-Israel strikes on Iran: How will India be hit by Strait of Hormuz closure? Explained
- T20 World Cup 2026 Super 8 Points Table: India set for virtual quarterfinal as England save Pakistan's hopes
03:50 First Taliban, now Iran: Why it could be a double whammy for Pakistan14:12 Iran attacks US military bases across Middle East in operation 'Truthful Promise 4'- Flights Disrupted After Strikes: Airspace closures hit India–Europe routes; airlines reroute, suspend services
Featured in world
- Israel attacks Iran: IDF executes 'largest-ever' strike sortie with 200 fighter jets
- Pakistan Afghanistan War Live Updates: Pak jet shot down in Jalalabad and pilot captured, claims Taliban; Islamabad denies
- Donald Trump says he has ‘off ramps’ from Iran campaign, signals shorter operation
- UAE market stability, food prices, stock update amid Iran–US-Israel escalation: Panic buying in the emirates as oil prices surge?
- FBI perks for girlfriend? Report says Kash Patel deployed SWAT to protect Alexis Wilkins
- Viral but fake news repost could cost you Dh200,000 amid Iran and US-Israeli clashes: UAE cracks down on online rumours as tensions fuel misinformation
Photostories
- Chef Sanjeev Kapoor's comfort recipes from his home kitchen that you can't miss
- Holi 2026: Forgotten Holi drinks that disappeared over time
- 5 luxury electric cars offering performance, prestige and sustainable innovation
- From Jane Fonda to Melanie Griffith: actors who went throughknife to look younger
- My sugar is fine, but I feel terrible: Doctor explains what your diabetes report may be missing
- From Dilip Joshi to Munmun Dutta - Highest-paid Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah stars
- Planning a Udaipur wedding like Rashmika Mandanna's? 5 bridal style rules you can’t ignore
- Smoke, strikes and sirens: Tehran in turmoil after US-Israel attack Iran — In pics
- 10 Hindu Gods and the traditional bhog lovingly offered to them
- From a luxurious house to a net worth of approximately Rs 30 crore- The Kapil Sharma Show fame Sumona Chakraborty’s lavish lifestyle
Videos
08:10 Iran Drone Strike Footage Surfaces As IRGC Claims Hit On U.S. Fifth Fleet Base & Warship08:01 Iran’s IRGC Claims Strike On U.S. Naval Vessel As Gulf Bases Targeted In Escalating Conflict08:27 Dubai’s BURJ KHALIFA Under Iran Attack? ‘4 Casualties’: Huge Scare As Missiles Hit Palm Jumeirah09:19 ‘JUST A TRAILER, Stop Helping Trump Or…’: Iran’s Ultimatum Amid Mega Missile Blitz On Gulf Nations08:25 Iran’s Salvos RIP OPEN U.S. Air Defence Umbrella; After Iron Domes, America Defence Shield ‘Smashed’08:26 On Cam: Abu Dhabi On HIGHEST ALERT After UAE Hit By Second Wave Of Iran Missile Fire10:38 Houthis Rally Behind Iran As War With US, Israel Intensifies In Middle East | Watch07:01 First Video Of Iran’s Attack On US Bases Across Gulf; Tehran Rains Ballistic Missiles08:40 Iran Launches Mega Drone Attack On Israel After ‘Coordinated Missile Salvos’ | Watch
Up Next