UN chief calls for probe into deaths near Gaza aid site
GAZA CITY: UN chief Antonio Guterres called Monday for an independent investigation into the killing of dozens of Palestinians near a US-backed aid centre in Gaza after rescuers blamed the deaths on Israeli fire and the military denied any involvement.
Gaza's civil defence agency said Israeli gunfire killed at least 31 people and wounded 176 near the aid distribution site in the southern city of Rafah, with AFP photos showing civilians at the scene carting away bodies and medics at nearby hospitals reporting a deluge of gunshot wound victims.
The Israeli military, however, denied its troops had fired on civilians in or around the centre, and both it and the aid site's administrator accused Hamas of sowing false rumours.
"I am appalled by the reports of Palestinians killed and injured while seeking aid in Gaza yesterday. It is unacceptable that Palestinians are risking their lives for food," Guterres said in a statement, without assigning blame for the deaths.
"I call for an immediate and independent investigation into these events and for perpetrators to be held accountable."
The Israeli government has cooperated with the group running the site, the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF), to introduce a new mechanism for distributing aid in Gaza that has bypassed the longstanding UN-led system.
The UN has declined to work with the group out of concerns about its neutrality, with some aid agencies saying it appears designed to cater to Israeli military objectives.
An eyewitness from the scene in Rafah, Sameh Hamuda, 33, had told AFP he was headed towards the aid site amid a crowd of other Palestinians when "quadcopter drones opened fire on the people, and tanks started shooting".
"Several people were killed right in front of me," he said.
Another witness, Abdullah Barbakh, 58, also told AFP "the army opened fire from drones and tanks".
Following the reports, the Israeli army said an initial inquiry found its troops "did not fire at civilians while they were near or within the humanitarian aid distribution site".
Army spokesman Effie Defrin said in a video message that "Hamas is doing its best, its utmost, to stop us from" distributing aid, and vowed to "investigate each one of those allegations" against Israeli troops.
"I urge you not to believe every rumour spread by Hamas," he added.
GHF also denied any deaths or injuries took place, adding that "these fake reports have been actively fomented by Hamas".
Israel has come under increasing international pressure to improve the humanitarian situation in Gaza following a more than two-month blockade on aid that was only recently eased.
The UN has warned the entire population of the territory is facing the risk of famine.
It has also reported recent incidents of aid being looted, including by armed individuals.
Talks aimed at securing a ceasefire and the return of hostages taken by Hamas during its October 2023 attack that triggered the war have failed to produce a breakthrough.
Militants took 251 hostages during the attack, 57 of whom remain in Gaza, including 34 who the Israeli military says are dead.
After the two sides failed to agree on a new ceasefire proposal last week, Hamas said it was ready to "immediately begin a round of indirect negotiations to reach an agreement on the points of contention".
Israeli defence minister Israel Katz, meanwhile, said he had told the army "to continue forward in Gaza against all targets, regardless of any negotiations".
Since a brief truce collapsed in March, Israel has intensified its operations to destroy Hamas.
On Monday, Gaza's civil defence spokesman Mahmud Bassal said 14 people were killed in an Israeli strike on a house in Gaza, "including six children and three women, in addition to more than 20 missing individuals still under the rubble".
"This house has been bombed before... and people were martyred previously," resident Mousa al-Bursh told AFP.
"The house primarily belongs to the Al-Bursh family, but it shelters many others, more than one family, and we don't know the number of victims inside."
The health ministry in Hamas-run Gaza says at least 4,201 people have been killed in the territory since Israel resumed its offensive on March 18, taking the war's overall toll to 54,470, mostly civilians.
Hamas's 2023 attack on Israel resulted in the deaths of 1,218 people, also mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on official figures.
The Israeli military, however, denied its troops had fired on civilians in or around the centre, and both it and the aid site's administrator accused Hamas of sowing false rumours.
"I am appalled by the reports of Palestinians killed and injured while seeking aid in Gaza yesterday. It is unacceptable that Palestinians are risking their lives for food," Guterres said in a statement, without assigning blame for the deaths.
"I call for an immediate and independent investigation into these events and for perpetrators to be held accountable."
The Israeli government has cooperated with the group running the site, the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF), to introduce a new mechanism for distributing aid in Gaza that has bypassed the longstanding UN-led system.
The UN has declined to work with the group out of concerns about its neutrality, with some aid agencies saying it appears designed to cater to Israeli military objectives.
Killed right in front of me:
An eyewitness from the scene in Rafah, Sameh Hamuda, 33, had told AFP he was headed towards the aid site amid a crowd of other Palestinians when "quadcopter drones opened fire on the people, and tanks started shooting".
"Several people were killed right in front of me," he said.
Another witness, Abdullah Barbakh, 58, also told AFP "the army opened fire from drones and tanks".
Following the reports, the Israeli army said an initial inquiry found its troops "did not fire at civilians while they were near or within the humanitarian aid distribution site".
Army spokesman Effie Defrin said in a video message that "Hamas is doing its best, its utmost, to stop us from" distributing aid, and vowed to "investigate each one of those allegations" against Israeli troops.
"I urge you not to believe every rumour spread by Hamas," he added.
GHF also denied any deaths or injuries took place, adding that "these fake reports have been actively fomented by Hamas".
Israel has come under increasing international pressure to improve the humanitarian situation in Gaza following a more than two-month blockade on aid that was only recently eased.
The UN has warned the entire population of the territory is facing the risk of famine.
It has also reported recent incidents of aid being looted, including by armed individuals.
Points of contention:
Talks aimed at securing a ceasefire and the return of hostages taken by Hamas during its October 2023 attack that triggered the war have failed to produce a breakthrough.
Militants took 251 hostages during the attack, 57 of whom remain in Gaza, including 34 who the Israeli military says are dead.
After the two sides failed to agree on a new ceasefire proposal last week, Hamas said it was ready to "immediately begin a round of indirect negotiations to reach an agreement on the points of contention".
Israeli defence minister Israel Katz, meanwhile, said he had told the army "to continue forward in Gaza against all targets, regardless of any negotiations".
Since a brief truce collapsed in March, Israel has intensified its operations to destroy Hamas.
On Monday, Gaza's civil defence spokesman Mahmud Bassal said 14 people were killed in an Israeli strike on a house in Gaza, "including six children and three women, in addition to more than 20 missing individuals still under the rubble".
"This house has been bombed before... and people were martyred previously," resident Mousa al-Bursh told AFP.
"The house primarily belongs to the Al-Bursh family, but it shelters many others, more than one family, and we don't know the number of victims inside."
The health ministry in Hamas-run Gaza says at least 4,201 people have been killed in the territory since Israel resumed its offensive on March 18, taking the war's overall toll to 54,470, mostly civilians.
Hamas's 2023 attack on Israel resulted in the deaths of 1,218 people, also mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on official figures.
Popular from World
- 'Agroterrorism': FBI arrests Chinese researcher for smuggling deadly fungus in US
- Pakistan: Another top Jaish ultra dies a mysterious death
- Elon Musk goes ballistic, says 'we fire all politicians' next November; Mike Johnson calls him 'simply wrong'
- Dhaka to send diplomatic note to Delhi over 'illegal push-ins'
- Watch: Ukraine uses 1,100 kg of underwater explosives to hit Russia’s key bridge
end of article
Trending Stories
- “The true definition of a son” -NBA legend Allen Iverson shares heartfelt post on his son days after making sweet gesture towards ex-wife
- Watch: RCB title celebrations go wild as police use lathis to control jubilant fans
- IPL 2025: Full list of award winners – Orange cap, Purple cap, MVP and more
- 'What Anushka has gone through … ': Virat Kohli gets emotional after RCB clinch IPL 2025 title
- Elon Musk goes ballistic, says 'we fire all politicians' next November; Mike Johnson calls him 'simply wrong'
- 'Endless H-1B stamping cycles': Reddit user wants to move to India after 15 years
- 2.5 crore 'bogus' IDs solve case of vanishing tickets on IRCTC site
Featured in world
- Mass shooting in Toronto: At least one dead, 5 hospitalised; probe on
- Manhunt for father accused of killing three young daughters during planned visit in Central Washington
- 'Agroterrorism': FBI arrests Chinese researcher for smuggling deadly fungus in US
- Ukraine says it struck Crimea bridge
- Dutch govt falls as Geert Wilders withdraws right-wing support over migration
- Elon Musk goes ballistic, says 'we fire all politicians' next November; Mike Johnson calls him 'simply wrong'
Visual Stories
- 8 fresh juices that help burn fat and boost metabolism
- Samantha, Rashmika, Tamannah, Sreeleela; Tollywood divas in stunning styles
- Rekha to Blake Lively - Actresses Who Turned Their Beauty Spots Into Style Signatures
- Trisha Krishnan’s Effortlessly Elegant Take on Fashion
- Bhutan’s 10 unmissable spot for nature lovers
Photostories
- 7 lesser-known symptoms of high uric acid that can be mistaken for something else
- Cutting back on calories? Experts reveal how it affects the mind
- This one mineral can stop sudden leg cramps and sleeplessness
- Bollywood actresses who fell in love with real-life gangsters
- From Thug Life Ban in Karnataka to Virumaandi Title Issue: Five Times Kamal Haasan’s Firm Stance Led to Legal Troubles
- 6 unique animals that rely on both land and water to survive
- Khan Sir's reception photos go viral; wife looks stunning in traditional ghungat
- Virat Kohli cries like a baby in Anushka Sharma's arms, kisses her as RCB lifts maiden IPL trophy after 18-year wait
- 5 ways to style a kurta to beat the heat this summer
Top Trends
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment