Renewed sectarian clashes kill 32 in Pakistan’s northwest
ISLAMABAD: More than 30 people have been killed and dozens injured in renewed clashes between Sunni and Shia Muslim groups in Pakistan’s troubled Kurram tribal district in the northwest.
The sectarian violence follows Thursday’s deadly attack on a convoy of around 200 vehicles in Kurram that killed around 50 people and injured scores of others.
The new clashes erupted soon after funerals for the victims were held in their respective villages on Friday. Adul Nabi Bangash, a local politician in Parachinar, the district headquarters, told TOI that on Friday night a group of Shia Muslims attacked Sunni areas, such as Bagan bazaar, with light and heavy weapons. He revealed that both sides had raised militias soon after Thursday’s incident.
A local administration official said the dead in the latest clashes included 18 Shias and 14 Sunnis. Nearly 50 others were wounded in overnight fighting.
Dr Qaisar Abbas, a district health officer in Kurram, confirmed the casualties and described the condition of nine wounded as serious.
Eyewitnesses said armed men broke into stores, petrol stations, homes and govt buildings in Kurram’s Bagan and Bacha Kot neighbourhoods after Friday prayers. Social media users shared videos and pictures of a burning market with orange flames piercing the night sky. Gunfire can also be heard in the background.
Businesses, educational institutions and markets remained closed across Parachinar and surrounding areas for the second consecutive day on Saturday. Describing the situation as extremely tense, officials said mobile phone signals remain suspended across the district. Internet services, however, have been blocked in the region for several months.
About 150 people have been killed in recent months due to escalating sectarian violence in the mountainous district, which borders Afghanistan on three sides.
Previous clashes in July and Sept, which had killed dozens of people, ended only after a council of elders called for a ceasefire.
Meanwhile, thousands of people participated in a sit-in in Parachinar, where protesters criticised govt’s failure to protect civilians. Shop owners in the region had announced a three-day strike on Friday to protest against the attack while locals described an atmosphere of fear across the district.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attack, which came a week after authorities had reopened a key highway in the region that had been closed for months following deadly clashes. Speculation also surrounds the involvement of the banned terrorist group Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), which has recently been active in the lower part of Kurram. But govt officials attributed the incident to a land dispute.
The new clashes erupted soon after funerals for the victims were held in their respective villages on Friday. Adul Nabi Bangash, a local politician in Parachinar, the district headquarters, told TOI that on Friday night a group of Shia Muslims attacked Sunni areas, such as Bagan bazaar, with light and heavy weapons. He revealed that both sides had raised militias soon after Thursday’s incident.
A local administration official said the dead in the latest clashes included 18 Shias and 14 Sunnis. Nearly 50 others were wounded in overnight fighting.
Dr Qaisar Abbas, a district health officer in Kurram, confirmed the casualties and described the condition of nine wounded as serious.
Eyewitnesses said armed men broke into stores, petrol stations, homes and govt buildings in Kurram’s Bagan and Bacha Kot neighbourhoods after Friday prayers. Social media users shared videos and pictures of a burning market with orange flames piercing the night sky. Gunfire can also be heard in the background.
Businesses, educational institutions and markets remained closed across Parachinar and surrounding areas for the second consecutive day on Saturday. Describing the situation as extremely tense, officials said mobile phone signals remain suspended across the district. Internet services, however, have been blocked in the region for several months.
Previous clashes in July and Sept, which had killed dozens of people, ended only after a council of elders called for a ceasefire.
Meanwhile, thousands of people participated in a sit-in in Parachinar, where protesters criticised govt’s failure to protect civilians. Shop owners in the region had announced a three-day strike on Friday to protest against the attack while locals described an atmosphere of fear across the district.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attack, which came a week after authorities had reopened a key highway in the region that had been closed for months following deadly clashes. Speculation also surrounds the involvement of the banned terrorist group Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), which has recently been active in the lower part of Kurram. But govt officials attributed the incident to a land dispute.
Top Comment
Discussion
22 days ago
If Sunnis and Shias kills each other so both these sects are wiped out, it will be great relief for the world.Read allPost comment
Popular from World
- 'They charge a lot': Donald Trump threatens reciprocal tariffs against India
- 'Death will be freedom': What Wisconsin shooter Natalie Rupnow wrote in her alleged 'War against Humanity' manifesto
- Wisconsin shooting: Was 'copycat' Natalie Rupnow paying tribute to Columbine shooter with KMFDM t-shirt?
- 'Madness must be stopped': Ukraine accuses Russian troops of burning faces of dead North Korean soldiers
- US sheriff sends drone to follow mysterious objects in New Jersey sky: Here's what happened next
end of article
Trending Stories
- Rohit Sharma hits back: 'No harm celebrating' follow-on moment
- R Ashwin retires: Emotional scenes, a warm hug as Rohit Sharma bids good bye to his teammate
- First photos of Wisconsin school shooting suspect Natalie Rupnow surface online
- Muslim residents raze own homes near Sambhal’s ‘ancient’ temple
- “Zomato and Swiggy and Zepto please, don’t…”: Bombay Shaving CEO Shantanu Deshpande urges for healthier change in India’s food delivery
- Ravichandran Ashwin announces retirement from international cricket
- 'He is junior Atul Subhash for them': Bengaluru techie's family seeks custody of his son after wife's arrest
Visual Stories
- 10 best places to visit in North India for a thrilling wildlife experience
- Winter special: How to make Lemon Banana Tea cake
- 10 Korean recipes that are trending in India
- 8 South Indian delicacies made with leftover rice
- 10 conversations you must have with your child everyday in the morning
UP NEXT