A forest cabin in Mexico and a targeted strike: How El Mencho’s girlfriend became central to operation that took him out
Mexico has spent the last 24 hours in a state of high tension after security forces killed Nemesio Oseguera Cervantes, better known as “El Mencho”, a powerful druglord and the long-time head of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel (CJNG).
While authorities described the military operation as a decisive blow against organised crime, the aftermath triggered widespread unrest across the country with the members of cartel going on a revenge spree burning vehicles and setting petrol stations on fire.
Although federal officials said by Monday afternoon that order was gradually being restored, several regions remained tense, with residents staying indoors and schools and businesses shut in some areas.
How authorities tracked the cartel boss down: The ‘lover’ lead
According to reports, the breakthrough in locating Oseguera did not come from financial surveillance or drug interdictions, but from human intelligence.
According to authorities, they received key information from someone connected to one of Oseguera’s romantic partners. That intelligence allowed security agencies to monitor her movements and identify a planned meeting with the cartel leader in Tapalpa, a wooded cabin about 130 kilometres from Guadalajara in Jalisco state.
Mexican military intelligence agents, supported by the US military’s Northern Command, learned that the woman planned to meet with Oseguera at a residence in the area. Defence secretary Ricardo Trevilla told reporters that the woman, “one of the romantic partners of ‘El Mencho’,” was taken to a house in Tapalpa by a trusted associate.
She met Oseguera at the property and later left, while he remained inside with his security team.
Once the location was confirmed, army and National Guard units launched a high-risk operation targeting the compound. As security forces closed in, Oseguera’s gunmen opened fire, triggering a fierce exchange. The fighting later moved toward a cabin complex deep in the surrounding forest.
Oseguera was seriously injured in the firefight, along with two of his bodyguards. All three were airlifted by helicopter to Mexico City for emergency treatment, but did not survive the journey.
“Unfortunately, they died on the way,” Ricardo Trevilla said at the president’s press conference and extended condolences to the families of officers who lost their lives in the operation.
Authorities said they recovered a significant cache of weapons at the site, including rifles equipped with grenade launchers, rocket launchers and mortar shells, highlighting the level of firepower deployed by the cartel.
The US angle
Oseguera had long been among the most wanted figures by US authorities. The US had announced a reward of up to $15 million for information leading to his capture.
His death comes amid increasing pressure from Washington to intensify action against drug cartels responsible for trafficking fentanyl and other narcotics into the United States. Former US President Donald Trump had previously warned of potential strikes against cartel networks inside Mexico.
Mexican officials did not detail the extent of US intelligence involvement in the specific operation, but said that America provide important intel that helped the forces track the exact location of the cabin 'El Mencho' was staying.
"There was no participation in this operation of US forces. What there was, was an exchange of information," Mexican President Sheinbaum said.
The aftermath
Within hours of confirmation of Oseguera’s death, armed groups linked to the cartel launched coordinated reprisals in multiple states.
Authorities reported that highways were blocked with burning vehicles, supermarkets and petrol stations were set on fire, and security forces were attacked in different regions. In some cities, public transport was suspended and flights were disrupted. Schools were closed in affected districts as a precaution.
Officials said at least 62 people were killed in violence linked to the crackdown and its aftermath.
While authorities say stability is returning, the coming weeks will determine whether the state’s offensive weakens the cartel’s structure or triggers a new cycle of retaliatory unrest.
Although federal officials said by Monday afternoon that order was gradually being restored, several regions remained tense, with residents staying indoors and schools and businesses shut in some areas.
How authorities tracked the cartel boss down: The ‘lover’ lead
According to reports, the breakthrough in locating Oseguera did not come from financial surveillance or drug interdictions, but from human intelligence.
According to authorities, they received key information from someone connected to one of Oseguera’s romantic partners. That intelligence allowed security agencies to monitor her movements and identify a planned meeting with the cartel leader in Tapalpa, a wooded cabin about 130 kilometres from Guadalajara in Jalisco state.
She met Oseguera at the property and later left, while he remained inside with his security team.
Once the location was confirmed, army and National Guard units launched a high-risk operation targeting the compound. As security forces closed in, Oseguera’s gunmen opened fire, triggering a fierce exchange. The fighting later moved toward a cabin complex deep in the surrounding forest.
Oseguera was seriously injured in the firefight, along with two of his bodyguards. All three were airlifted by helicopter to Mexico City for emergency treatment, but did not survive the journey.
“Unfortunately, they died on the way,” Ricardo Trevilla said at the president’s press conference and extended condolences to the families of officers who lost their lives in the operation.
Authorities said they recovered a significant cache of weapons at the site, including rifles equipped with grenade launchers, rocket launchers and mortar shells, highlighting the level of firepower deployed by the cartel.
The US angle
Oseguera had long been among the most wanted figures by US authorities. The US had announced a reward of up to $15 million for information leading to his capture.
His death comes amid increasing pressure from Washington to intensify action against drug cartels responsible for trafficking fentanyl and other narcotics into the United States. Former US President Donald Trump had previously warned of potential strikes against cartel networks inside Mexico.
Mexican officials did not detail the extent of US intelligence involvement in the specific operation, but said that America provide important intel that helped the forces track the exact location of the cabin 'El Mencho' was staying.
"There was no participation in this operation of US forces. What there was, was an exchange of information," Mexican President Sheinbaum said.
The aftermath
Within hours of confirmation of Oseguera’s death, armed groups linked to the cartel launched coordinated reprisals in multiple states.
Authorities reported that highways were blocked with burning vehicles, supermarkets and petrol stations were set on fire, and security forces were attacked in different regions. In some cities, public transport was suspended and flights were disrupted. Schools were closed in affected districts as a precaution.
Officials said at least 62 people were killed in violence linked to the crackdown and its aftermath.
While authorities say stability is returning, the coming weeks will determine whether the state’s offensive weakens the cartel’s structure or triggers a new cycle of retaliatory unrest.
Top Comment
G
Guest Login
8 hours ago
Former US President Donald Trump ?Read allPost comment
Popular from World
- “Bride of Charlie”: Candace Owens ignites backlash with explosive investigative series targeting Erika Kirk
- Toilet trouble aboard US aircraft carrier: Troops feel the 'pressure' as Trump vows to flush out Khamenei regime
- A forest cabin in Mexico and a targeted strike: How El Mencho’s girlfriend became central to operation that took him out
- Middle East on edge: Iran to buy Chinese anti-ship cruise missiles amid Trump’s strike threat
- Indian woman held for overstaying UAE visa returns to Kerala after legal intervention
end of article
Trending Stories
- The Bride Of Charlie: Candace Owens sparks rift with Erika Kirk exposé; only Matt Walsh speaks out
- Is Giannis Antetokounmpo playing tonight vs the Miami Heat? Latest update on the Milwaukee Bucks star's injury report (February 24, 2026)
- “My deepest gratitude”: Candace Owens fires back after Bride of Charlie trailer triggers backlash over Erika Kirk series
- UPSC extends CSE 2026 deadline after portal issues; applications now open till February 27, 2026
- India qualification scenario: How can Team India reach T20 World Cup 2026 semi-final after West Indies win?
- Son Heung-min’s 2018 World Cup setback continues to shape his leadership as he begins a new MLS chapter
- T20 WC: England beat Pakistan, enter semis
Featured in world
- US moves closer to tougher H-1B wage norms as proposal clears federal review
- The unconscious soundtrack of the doomscroll generation? It's phonk
- Russian agency claims UK, France covertly planning to transfer N-weapons to Ukraine
- BoJo says send non-combat European troops to Ukraine now
- UK House approves release of classified docus tied to Andrew
- Indo-Canadian translator on International Booker longlist
Photostories
- Shahid Kapoor birthday special: Best performances of the actor to watch on OTT
- Holi 2026: How to make desi style Gujiya at home
- 5 times the UK Royal family rocked headlines with scandals and controversies
- Top 5 cities in South India for real estate investment in 2026
- What is Lab-grown gold: How is it made and why it matters
- Sadya to Malabar Biryani: 12 iconic dishes of Kerala/Keralam every foodie should try
- Sridevi death anniversary: ‘ChaalBaaz’, ‘Chandni’, ‘English Vinglish’, revisiting some of her most unforgettable films
- 10 tallest statues in the world travellers need to add to their travel wish-list
- Kerala to Keralam: Union Cabinet clears name change; 5 other places that were renamed
- Gauranga Das shares 3 things you should never do in a relationship
Videos
- Chaos On Call As Zelensky Demands Money, UK PM Starmer's Link Fail; 'Can't See You...' | On Camera
- 'ACT NOW...': Putin's BIG Order To Top Russian Security Officials Amid 'UKRAINE NUKE' Reports
08:26 US Navy In Crosshairs Of Chinese Missile? Beijing-Tehran Weapons Talks Raise Alarm | Watch08:26 US Navy In Crosshairs Of Chinese Missile? Beijing-Tehran Weapons Talks Raise Alarm | Watch08:50 Iran 'ACTIVATES' Missile Cities? Inside Tehran's Mountain Fortress Designed For Second Strike Power08:50 Iran 'ACTIVATES' Missile Cities? Inside Tehran's Mountain Fortress Designed For Second Strike Power08:22 Russia Sounds Alarm Over Nuclear Plan In Europe, Makes Shocking Demand; 'Stop Immediately Else...'07:01 Cartel Violence Intensifies In Mexico After El Mencho Killing; FIFA WC City On Edge05:26 'Why's FBI Not Asking...': Thomas Massie Explodes On DOJ's Epstein Probe; Names People To Prosecute
Up Next