Millions left without power after major blackout hits Cuba's western region
HAVANA: A blackout hit the western half of Cuba on Wednesday, leaving millions of people in Havana and beyond without power in the latest outage to affect an island struggling with dwindling oil reserves and a crumbling electric grid.
Government radio station Radio Rebelde quoted an energy official as saying that it could take up to 72 hours to restore operations at Cuba's largest thermoelectric power plant, which shut down earlier and sparked the outage.
The government's electric utility said on social platform X that the outage affected people from the western town of Pinar del Rio to the central town of Camaguey.
The agency said crews were working to restore power and posted a picture of Prime Minister Manuel Marrero Cruz meeting with Energy and Mines Minister Vicente de la O Levy "to specify the details of the ... disconnection and the next steps to be taken for its restoration."
"We trust in the experience and effort of the electrical workers to overcome this situation in the shortest possible time," Marrero wrote on X.
Meanwhile, de la O Levy said one power plant affected by the outage was up and running. "We are working to restore the National Electric System amid a complex energy situation," he wrote on X.
State media reported that the outage was caused by a shutdown of the Antonio Guiteras thermoelectric power plant east of Havana following a leak in its boiler.
Radio Rebelde quoted the plant's technical director Roman Perez Castaneda as saying that crews must first locate the fault, determine the repair method, repair it and then start up and synchronize the unit.
Perez Castaneda said that a pipe burst in the boiler, causing a water leak and subsequent fire that firefighters extinguished without major damage, according to Radio Rebelde.
The outage caught 63-year-old Odalis Sanchez out on the street with her grandson. She was unable to walk because of a recent operation, so she called someone for a ride home.
Some 200 people waited at a bus stop near her, but buses were not running given a lack of fuel, so they tried to get a ride via any means available, including hitchhiking.
"I need to be able to get home to see what I can do," Sanchez said. "Without power, you can't do anything. My grandson also is studying and I have to make him food. Public transportation isn't helping."
It is the second such outage to affect Cuba's western region in the past three months.
It wasn't immediately clear what caused Wednesday's outage.
In early December, an outage that hit the island's western region lasted nearly 12 hours. Officials said a fault in a transmission line linking two power plants caused an overload and led to the collapse of the energy system's western sector.
Cuba is struggling with dwindling oil reserves after the U.S. attacked Venezuela in early January, a move that halted critical petroleum shipments from the South America country. Later that month, U.S. President Donald Trump threatened to impose tariffs on any country that would sell or supply Cuba with oil.
Ernesto Couto Martinez, 76, was trying to find a ride home and said he would confront the latest outage "with the spirit that all Cubans have."
"We must keep fighting. There's no other way," he said. "We have to move forward, blockade or no blockade."
Last month, Cuba's government implemented austere fuel-saving measures and warned that jet fuel wouldn't be available at nine airports across the island until mid-March.
Prior to the attack on Venezuela, the island already was struggling with a crumbling electric grid, generation deficits and interruptions in fuel supplies.
Israel attacks Iran
- US-Israel-Iran War Live Updates: 'Indian navy's guest struck without warning': Iran slams US after torpedo sinks warship IRIS Dena
- 'Will bitterly regret': Iran warns US after IRIS Dena, 'Indian Navy’s guest', sunk by torpedo
- What is Minuteman III missile? The 'doomsday' weapon US tested amid war with Iran
The government's electric utility said on social platform X that the outage affected people from the western town of Pinar del Rio to the central town of Camaguey.
The agency said crews were working to restore power and posted a picture of Prime Minister Manuel Marrero Cruz meeting with Energy and Mines Minister Vicente de la O Levy "to specify the details of the ... disconnection and the next steps to be taken for its restoration."
"We trust in the experience and effort of the electrical workers to overcome this situation in the shortest possible time," Marrero wrote on X.
Meanwhile, de la O Levy said one power plant affected by the outage was up and running. "We are working to restore the National Electric System amid a complex energy situation," he wrote on X.
Radio Rebelde quoted the plant's technical director Roman Perez Castaneda as saying that crews must first locate the fault, determine the repair method, repair it and then start up and synchronize the unit.
Perez Castaneda said that a pipe burst in the boiler, causing a water leak and subsequent fire that firefighters extinguished without major damage, according to Radio Rebelde.
The outage caught 63-year-old Odalis Sanchez out on the street with her grandson. She was unable to walk because of a recent operation, so she called someone for a ride home.
Some 200 people waited at a bus stop near her, but buses were not running given a lack of fuel, so they tried to get a ride via any means available, including hitchhiking.
"I need to be able to get home to see what I can do," Sanchez said. "Without power, you can't do anything. My grandson also is studying and I have to make him food. Public transportation isn't helping."
It is the second such outage to affect Cuba's western region in the past three months.
It wasn't immediately clear what caused Wednesday's outage.
In early December, an outage that hit the island's western region lasted nearly 12 hours. Officials said a fault in a transmission line linking two power plants caused an overload and led to the collapse of the energy system's western sector.
Cuba is struggling with dwindling oil reserves after the U.S. attacked Venezuela in early January, a move that halted critical petroleum shipments from the South America country. Later that month, U.S. President Donald Trump threatened to impose tariffs on any country that would sell or supply Cuba with oil.
Ernesto Couto Martinez, 76, was trying to find a ride home and said he would confront the latest outage "with the spirit that all Cubans have."
"We must keep fighting. There's no other way," he said. "We have to move forward, blockade or no blockade."
Last month, Cuba's government implemented austere fuel-saving measures and warned that jet fuel wouldn't be available at nine airports across the island until mid-March.
Prior to the attack on Venezuela, the island already was struggling with a crumbling electric grid, generation deficits and interruptions in fuel supplies.
Popular from World
- Rockets, missiles and drones fly across Iran and Israel; Middle East remains tense — how the war is unfolding
- ‘No more nepotism, bootlicking’: Nepal votes a year after violent Gen Z protest; key things to know
- Dubai ruler Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid pens emotional poem for UAE President Mohamed bin Zayed, leadership praise goes viral
- PIO diplomat criticises UK foreign office for being woke, quits
- Indian expat in Sharjah turns millionaire overnight: Wins Dh15 million in Abu Dhabi Big Ticket draw
end of article
Trending Stories
- US-Israel-Iran War Live Updates: Tanker hit by ‘large explosion’ off Kuwait, causing oil spill; Iran launches missiles at Israel
- Gold, Silver Rate Today Live Update: Gold, silver rise on continued Middle East crisis; investors run to safe haven assets
- AP SSC Hall Ticket 2026 Live Updates: BSEAP Class 10 admit card to release soon at bse.ap.gov.in; steps to download here
- India Post GDS Result 2026 Live Updates: Merit list expected to be released soon; check expected cut-off marks
- UPSC CSE Results 2025 Live Updates: Final merit list expected to be released soon at upsc.nic.in, check important details here
- What happens if India vs England semi-final washes out? ICC rules explained
- West Asia conflict: 80 Indira University students among 111 Pune residents flown back from UAE
Featured in world
- US-Israel-Iran War Live Updates: Tanker hit by ‘large explosion’ off Kuwait, causing oil spill; Iran launches missiles at Israel
- Rockets, missiles and drones fly across Iran and Israel; Middle East remains tense — how the war is unfolding
- Watch: Ex-Marine injured as Iran war protest sparks scuffle at Senate hearing
- ‘No more nepotism, bootlicking’: Nepal votes a year after violent Gen Z protest; key things to know
- SpaceX rocket launch creates ‘space jellyfish’ effect in Florida sky during Falcon 9 mission carrying 29 Starlink satellites
- Meet Evelyn N. Wang: The scientist who wants to make every home produce its own water
Photostories
- Rashmika Mandanna’s red Mysore silk saree, Peacock Fountain necklace and regal oddiyanam steal the show at Hyderabad reception
- Bigg Boss 17’s Anurag Dhobal accuses parents of torture and harassment over inter-caste marriage; ‘Mere maut ke zimmedar honge’
- 6 legendary vintage luxury cars collectors still dream of owning
- 9 major deserts around the world and their most iconic attractions
- ‘Young Sherlock’: All about the cast, plot, and where to watch; a complete guide
- From 'One Direction's heartthrob to global icon: Harry Styles’ rise, reinvention and the romance rumours shaping his next chapter
- Potato Chips to Ice Cream Cone: 10 foods that were invented by accident and how
- Yezdi Roadster Red Wolf in images: All you need to know
- Mark Zuckerberg buys $170 million mansion in Miami: A look into a tech billionaire’s ultra-luxury abode
- Before 'Toxic’: The Kannada daily soaps that shaped pan-India star Yash’s early career
Videos
11:12 Iran's Top Arab Ally Declares WAR On Israel; Launches Missiles, Rockets & Drones At Israelis08:02 U.S. Launches Another 'WAR' After Iran; Military Ops Begin In Latin American Nation On Trump Orders- HUGE! Qatari F-15 Shot Down Iran’s Su-24 Minutes Before It Could Hit CENTCOM HQ In Doha – CNN
09:17 Iranian Missiles Force Millions Of Israelis To Run To Shelters Overnight In Tel Aviv, Jerusalem13:51 IRGC Unleashes Missile Wave Against Israeli & U.S Targets; Pieces Of Destroyed Israeli Drone Paraded20:01 'More American Body Bags': Hakeem Jeffries Rips Trump’s ‘Unprincipled’ Iran War | 'End This Now'08:44 'Americans Dying In Israel's War': Republican Thomas Massie Drops Iran Truth Bomb In U.S. House10:12 Iran Threatens Israel’s Dimona Nuclear Site If Washingon-Tel Aviv Pursue Regime-Change Goal13:18 SENATE BATTLE: GOP Torpedoes Iran War Resolution; 47–53 Vote Shakes Capitol | Win For Trump
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment