New START treaty expires: Russia says it will continue to observe pact if US does
Russia's foreign minister Sergey Lavrov on Wednesday said that Moscow will continue to observe the limits set under the New START nuclear arms control treaty, even after its expiry, as long as the United States adheres to the same restrictions.
The New START treaty formally expired on February 5, leaving the world’s two largest nuclear powers without any binding restrictions on their atomic arsenals for the first time in more than 50 years. The development has raised concerns globally about the possibility of an unchecked nuclear arms race.
Last year, Russian President Vladimir Putin said that Moscow was ready to continue adhering to the treaty’s limits for another year if the United States agreed to do the same. However, US President Donald Trump has insisted that China should be included in any future agreement, a proposal Beijing has rejected.
Speaking to Russia’s lower house of parliament, Lavrov said that Moscow would maintain its commitment to the treaty’s caps despite the absence of a formal extension.
“The moratorium declared by the president will remain as long as the US doesn't exceed these limits,” Lavrov told lawmakers. “We will act in a responsible and balanced way on the basis of analysis of the US military policies.”
He added that “we have reason to believe that the United States is in no hurry to abandon these limits and that they will be observed for the foreseeable future.”
“We will closely monitor how things are actually unfolding," Lavrov said. "If our American colleagues’ intention to maintain some kind of cooperation on this is confirmed, we will work actively on a new agreement and consider the issues that have remained outside strategic stability agreements."
Lavrov’s remarks followed a report by Axios claiming that Russian and US negotiators discussed a possible informal understanding to continue observing the treaty’s limits for at least six months during talks held last week in Abu Dhabi.
Commenting on the report, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said that any extension would have to be formal. “It’s hard to imagine any informal extension in this sphere,” he said.
At the same time, Peskov confirmed that future nuclear arms control was discussed during meetings in Abu Dhabi, where delegations from Russia, Ukraine and the United States held two days of talks focused on a potential peace settlement in Ukraine.
“There is an understanding, and they talked about it in Abu Dhabi, that both parties will take responsible positions and both parties realize the need to start talks on the issue as soon as possible,” Peskov said.
The New START treaty, signed in 2010 by then-US President Barack Obama and Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, was the last in a series of agreements between the two countries aimed at limiting nuclear weapons, beginning with the SALT I pact in 1972.
Under New START, each country was limited to 1,550 deployed nuclear warheads and no more than 700 deployed missiles and bombers. The treaty was originally due to expire in 2021 but was extended for five years.
The agreement also allowed for on-site inspections to ensure compliance. However, inspections were halted in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic and were never resumed.
In February 2023, Putin announced the suspension of Russia’s participation in the treaty, citing tensions with the United States and NATO over the Ukraine conflict. Still, the Kremlin maintained that Russia would continue to respect the treaty’s numerical limits.
In September, Putin proposed extending adherence to the treaty’s caps for another year to allow time to negotiate a replacement agreement.
Despite the treaty’s expiration, both countries agreed on February 5 to restore high-level military-to-military communication following discussions in Abu Dhabi. The direct link had been suspended in 2021 amid worsening relations before Russia launched its military operation in Ukraine in February 2022.
Last year, Russian President Vladimir Putin said that Moscow was ready to continue adhering to the treaty’s limits for another year if the United States agreed to do the same. However, US President Donald Trump has insisted that China should be included in any future agreement, a proposal Beijing has rejected.
Speaking to Russia’s lower house of parliament, Lavrov said that Moscow would maintain its commitment to the treaty’s caps despite the absence of a formal extension.
“The moratorium declared by the president will remain as long as the US doesn't exceed these limits,” Lavrov told lawmakers. “We will act in a responsible and balanced way on the basis of analysis of the US military policies.”
He added that “we have reason to believe that the United States is in no hurry to abandon these limits and that they will be observed for the foreseeable future.”
Lavrov’s remarks followed a report by Axios claiming that Russian and US negotiators discussed a possible informal understanding to continue observing the treaty’s limits for at least six months during talks held last week in Abu Dhabi.
Commenting on the report, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said that any extension would have to be formal. “It’s hard to imagine any informal extension in this sphere,” he said.
At the same time, Peskov confirmed that future nuclear arms control was discussed during meetings in Abu Dhabi, where delegations from Russia, Ukraine and the United States held two days of talks focused on a potential peace settlement in Ukraine.
“There is an understanding, and they talked about it in Abu Dhabi, that both parties will take responsible positions and both parties realize the need to start talks on the issue as soon as possible,” Peskov said.
The New START treaty, signed in 2010 by then-US President Barack Obama and Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, was the last in a series of agreements between the two countries aimed at limiting nuclear weapons, beginning with the SALT I pact in 1972.
Under New START, each country was limited to 1,550 deployed nuclear warheads and no more than 700 deployed missiles and bombers. The treaty was originally due to expire in 2021 but was extended for five years.
The agreement also allowed for on-site inspections to ensure compliance. However, inspections were halted in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic and were never resumed.
In February 2023, Putin announced the suspension of Russia’s participation in the treaty, citing tensions with the United States and NATO over the Ukraine conflict. Still, the Kremlin maintained that Russia would continue to respect the treaty’s numerical limits.
In September, Putin proposed extending adherence to the treaty’s caps for another year to allow time to negotiate a replacement agreement.
Despite the treaty’s expiration, both countries agreed on February 5 to restore high-level military-to-military communication following discussions in Abu Dhabi. The direct link had been suspended in 2021 amid worsening relations before Russia launched its military operation in Ukraine in February 2022.
Popular from World
- UK-India FTA gets compared to ‘bag of soggy poppadums’ in House of Commons debate
- UK: Teen arrested for stabbing two boys at London school
- Plane with 55 on board crashes after takeoff in Somalia; all survive — watch
- I run a company, employ people: Indian CEO Jasveer Singh complains his US visa was denied because of 'weak ties to India'
- UAE visa overstay fines 2026 explained: Latest rates, how to pay, tips to avoid penalties
end of article
Trending Stories
- England vs West Indies Live Score, T20 World Cup 2026: England face Caribbean challenge in Mumbai
- “I want to honor God”: Erika Kirk addresses backlash as Bad Bunny’s Super Bowl LX show outshines TPUSA’s halftime show
- Quote of the day by Novak Djokovic: 'I always believe I can'
07:28 Patriot missiles, stratotankers & C-17s: Satellite photos reveal massive US military build-up near Iran- Bharat bandh on February 12: Banks, transport, offices — what will be open and what will shut during nationwide strike
- T20 World Cup: Australia clinch 67-run win over Ireland
- JEE Main 2026 Result Date & Time Live Updates: JEE Main 2026 Session 1 Final Answer Key Expected Today; Results Likely by February 12
Featured in world
- Indian trucker Sukhwinder Sidhu pleads guilty in 2023 crash killing Olympian skater in Ontario, was driving for 26 hours
- Who was Jesse Strang? 18-year-old named in Canada school shooting that left 10 dead
- 'Didn’t really like the way she talked': How a phone call from Swiss leader led Trump to raise tariffs to 39%
- American Youtuber Alex Stein mocks Hindus with cow urine slurs at event; angry Indian-Americans walk out
- Indian family loses AED 50,000 gold in trash: Heartwarming recovery by Dubai police in 3 days wins the Internet
- Bahraini rap star Flipperachi to light up Mumbai in the first India concert after the viral ‘FA9LA’ song
Photostories
- Archana Puran Singh and Parmeet Sethi open up about their parenthood journey; son Aaryamann says, “I have had the worst depression, won’t wish it on anyone”
- Ahead of ‘O’Romeo’ release, take a look at Shahid Kapoor’s 7 highest-grossing films; 'Padmaavat’ to ‘Kabir Singh’
- 7 biggest movie references in the 2026 Olympics figure skating competition: 'Dune', 'Interstellar' and more
- ‘Bhool Bhulaiyaa’, ‘Dhol’, ‘Chup Chup Ke’: Rajpal Yadav’s films that cemented his status as Bollywood’s comedy powerhouse
- 5 luxury interior ideas to borrow from Shah Rukh Khan’s Mannat
- Explained! 5 most expensive places to live in 2026
- 8 ways to enjoy sweet potato for evening snacks with chai
- 'Jai Ho' on the move: India’s first musical road hits Mumbai’s Coastal drive
- Is your illness karmic? what your birth date says
- Nancy Guthrie case update: What we know about the person detained for questioning
Videos
06:35 'Trump-Putin Deal Butchered': Lavrov Goes All Guns Blazing Against Zelensky, EU & NATO | Watch07:07 Colombia's Petro Claims Assassination Attempt After Recent Meeting With Trump Amid Cartel Faceoff- Russian Air Attack DEMOLISHES Ukraine's 2nd Largest city; NATO-US Air Defences Fail Rendered Useless?
19:30 $9 Bn Somali Minnesota Fraud Ignites Fiery Durbin Vs Cornyn Debate On National Security In US Senate08:22 Nancy Guthrie 'Kidnapper' Caught On Cam: FBI Drops Shock Video, 1 Suspect Arrested | Trump In Action10:29 China Deploys Type 055 Destroyer; Signals Intel Support To Iran As US THAAD Spotted In Jordan- 'Does Somali Ethnicity Matter?': Sen Kennedy's Blunt Questions To Schwartz On 'Minnesota Thieves'
07:28 Satellite Images Show Heightened US Readiness At Qatar’s Al-Udeid Base As Iran Tensions Continue08:35 'US Pressuring India On Oil Imports': Russia's Big Charge On Trump; Lavrov Slams 'Coercive Methods'
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment