Tumbler Ridge student describes chaos during Canada school shooting: 'We were formulating an escape plan'
A mass shooting in a remote part of western Canada has shocked the country leading to the death of nine people on Tuesday. The incident occurred at Tumbler Ridge Secondary School on February 10, when a 'woman in a dress' opened fire on a school and home in British Columbia, injuring at least 25 people in the shooting with the suspect's body being found at the scene with a self-inflicted injury.
Darian Quist, a Grade 12 student who was barricaded in a classroom during the worst school shooting in nearly 40 years has now recounted the horror and chaos at the scene. After arriving at the secondary school at 1:30 pm, the student was barricaded in a classroom for over two hours with alarms sounding and alerting the students to get themselves to safety.
Quist appeared alongside his mother Shelley Quist, in the interview where they talked to CBC Radio West host Sarah Penton and shared how he and his classmates barricaded the doors while the school was in lockdown, until the police escorted them out.
He shared that for a while, the students didn't think of the alarms as a concern and thought of them as a security situation. "But once everything started circulating, we realised that something was wrong," he said.
They gathered tables from the classroom and positioned them at the door until "I believe SWAT had come through the door and escorted us out of the high school." He shared that the shooting possibly took place on the upstairs floor of the high school and he did not hear anything.
Inside the classroom, he shared that the situation was "tense and nervous." "So we tried to keep things light and keep each other motivated and not fall into grief. Once people sent me some photos, it definitely set in what was actually happening."
He states that people sent him some "disturbing" photos which featured "blood" and that made him realise just how scary the situation was. Adding that he was "pretty scared" and wondering about an escape plan if the shooter came to the door, "we were going to run up to the door and out of the back."
There were about 15 students in Quist's class with their teacher, who was making sure that everyone was gathered and everything was smooth. "He organised us between the tables, closed the doors and just formulated an escape plan if anything happened."
Finally, the police came to the door and escorted the students out safely with their "hands up at all times." Once safe outside, the officials counted the number of students to ensure everyone had been escorted outside and checked them for injuries.
Shelley, the student's mother shared that she was on the phone with her son and could hear the moment the police came to escort them to safety. Quist went out and reunited with his mother who was waiting outside. She described feeling a "rollercoaster of emotions" after the incident. "I told him to just leave me on the phone, even when he needed to be quiet, and that I was there," she shared with the outlet, adding that her son was "not getting out of my sight for a while now."
Officers believe they have identified the shooter but said they will "struggle" to ever determine the motive for the shooting. Canadian federal police chief Supt Ken Floyd confirmed that the suspect found dead is the same person police described in an alert sent to phones. The alert described the "woman in a dress with brown hair," as per Reuters.
Canadian PM Mark Carney took to X to grieve the lives lost and issue a statement in support of families and officials. "I am devastated by today’s horrific shootings in Tumbler Ridge, B.C. My prayers and deepest condolences are with the families and friends who have lost loved ones to these horrific acts of violence," he wrote.
The incident is being considered the worst shooting in Canadian history, followed by the 1989 Ecole Polytechnique massacre that saw 14 female students killed. In a statement, the municipality of Tumbler Ridge said: "There are no words sufficient for the heartbreak our community is experiencing tonight."
Quist appeared alongside his mother Shelley Quist, in the interview where they talked to CBC Radio West host Sarah Penton and shared how he and his classmates barricaded the doors while the school was in lockdown, until the police escorted them out.
He shared that for a while, the students didn't think of the alarms as a concern and thought of them as a security situation. "But once everything started circulating, we realised that something was wrong," he said.
Inside the classroom, he shared that the situation was "tense and nervous." "So we tried to keep things light and keep each other motivated and not fall into grief. Once people sent me some photos, it definitely set in what was actually happening."
He states that people sent him some "disturbing" photos which featured "blood" and that made him realise just how scary the situation was. Adding that he was "pretty scared" and wondering about an escape plan if the shooter came to the door, "we were going to run up to the door and out of the back."
There were about 15 students in Quist's class with their teacher, who was making sure that everyone was gathered and everything was smooth. "He organised us between the tables, closed the doors and just formulated an escape plan if anything happened."
Finally, the police came to the door and escorted the students out safely with their "hands up at all times." Once safe outside, the officials counted the number of students to ensure everyone had been escorted outside and checked them for injuries.
Shelley, the student's mother shared that she was on the phone with her son and could hear the moment the police came to escort them to safety. Quist went out and reunited with his mother who was waiting outside. She described feeling a "rollercoaster of emotions" after the incident. "I told him to just leave me on the phone, even when he needed to be quiet, and that I was there," she shared with the outlet, adding that her son was "not getting out of my sight for a while now."
Officers believe they have identified the shooter but said they will "struggle" to ever determine the motive for the shooting. Canadian federal police chief Supt Ken Floyd confirmed that the suspect found dead is the same person police described in an alert sent to phones. The alert described the "woman in a dress with brown hair," as per Reuters.
Canadian PM Mark Carney took to X to grieve the lives lost and issue a statement in support of families and officials. "I am devastated by today’s horrific shootings in Tumbler Ridge, B.C. My prayers and deepest condolences are with the families and friends who have lost loved ones to these horrific acts of violence," he wrote.
The incident is being considered the worst shooting in Canadian history, followed by the 1989 Ecole Polytechnique massacre that saw 14 female students killed. In a statement, the municipality of Tumbler Ridge said: "There are no words sufficient for the heartbreak our community is experiencing tonight."
Popular from World
- UK-India FTA gets compared to ‘bag of soggy poppadums’ in House of Commons debate
- UK: Teen arrested for stabbing two boys at London school
- Plane with 55 on board crashes after takeoff in Somalia; all survive — watch
- I run a company, employ people: Indian CEO Jasveer Singh complains his US visa was denied because of 'weak ties to India'
- UAE visa overstay fines 2026 explained: Latest rates, how to pay, tips to avoid penalties
end of article
Trending Stories
- England vs West Indies Live Score, T20 World Cup 2026: England face Caribbean challenge in Mumbai
- “I want to honor God”: Erika Kirk addresses backlash as Bad Bunny’s Super Bowl LX show outshines TPUSA’s halftime show
- Quote of the day by Novak Djokovic: 'I always believe I can'
07:28 Patriot missiles, stratotankers & C-17s: Satellite photos reveal massive US military build-up near Iran- Bharat bandh on February 12: Banks, transport, offices — what will be open and what will shut during nationwide strike
- T20 World Cup: Australia clinch 67-run win over Ireland
- JEE Main 2026 Result Date & Time Live Updates: JEE Main 2026 Session 1 Final Answer Key Expected Today; Results Likely by February 12
Featured in world
- Indian trucker Sukhwinder Sidhu pleads guilty in 2023 crash killing Olympian skater in Ontario, was driving for 26 hours
- Who was Jesse Strang? 18-year-old named in Canada school shooting that left 10 dead
- 'Didn’t really like the way she talked': How a phone call from Swiss leader led Trump to raise tariffs to 39%
- American Youtuber Alex Stein mocks Hindus with cow urine slurs at event; angry Indian-Americans walk out
- Indian family loses AED 50,000 gold in trash: Heartwarming recovery by Dubai police in 3 days wins the Internet
- Bahraini rap star Flipperachi to light up Mumbai in the first India concert after the viral ‘FA9LA’ song
Photostories
- Archana Puran Singh and Parmeet Sethi open up about their parenthood journey; son Aaryamann says, “I have had the worst depression, won’t wish it on anyone”
- Ahead of ‘O’Romeo’ release, take a look at Shahid Kapoor’s 7 highest-grossing films; 'Padmaavat’ to ‘Kabir Singh’
- 7 biggest movie references in the 2026 Olympics figure skating competition: 'Dune', 'Interstellar' and more
- ‘Bhool Bhulaiyaa’, ‘Dhol’, ‘Chup Chup Ke’: Rajpal Yadav’s films that cemented his status as Bollywood’s comedy powerhouse
- 5 luxury interior ideas to borrow from Shah Rukh Khan’s Mannat
- Explained! 5 most expensive places to live in 2026
- 8 ways to enjoy sweet potato for evening snacks with chai
- 'Jai Ho' on the move: India’s first musical road hits Mumbai’s Coastal drive
- Is your illness karmic? what your birth date says
- Nancy Guthrie case update: What we know about the person detained for questioning
Videos
06:35 'Trump-Putin Deal Butchered': Lavrov Goes All Guns Blazing Against Zelensky, EU & NATO | Watch07:07 Colombia's Petro Claims Assassination Attempt After Recent Meeting With Trump Amid Cartel Faceoff- Russian Air Attack DEMOLISHES Ukraine's 2nd Largest city; NATO-US Air Defences Fail Rendered Useless?
19:30 $9 Bn Somali Minnesota Fraud Ignites Fiery Durbin Vs Cornyn Debate On National Security In US Senate08:22 Nancy Guthrie 'Kidnapper' Caught On Cam: FBI Drops Shock Video, 1 Suspect Arrested | Trump In Action10:29 China Deploys Type 055 Destroyer; Signals Intel Support To Iran As US THAAD Spotted In Jordan- 'Does Somali Ethnicity Matter?': Sen Kennedy's Blunt Questions To Schwartz On 'Minnesota Thieves'
07:28 Satellite Images Show Heightened US Readiness At Qatar’s Al-Udeid Base As Iran Tensions Continue08:35 'US Pressuring India On Oil Imports': Russia's Big Charge On Trump; Lavrov Slams 'Coercive Methods'
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment