Two men charged with murder after teen best friends killed in Newport crash

Two men charged with murder after teen best friends killed in Newport crash

Two men charged with murder after teens killed in Newport motorbike crash

Two men have appeared in court charged with murder after two teenagers were allegedly knocked from a motorbike and left dying in the street following a crash involving a BMW in Newport, Wales.Jaydon Bowyer, 19, and Ta-Shay Canoville, 16, died after the collision near a roundabout on Aberthaw Road in the Alway area during the early hours of Thursday morning.Emergency services were called to the scene at around 1 am following reports of a collision between a motorcycle and a BMW, which allegedly fled the area after the crash.According to reports, the two teenagers were best friends and were described by devastated loved ones as the “best of mates” following the tragedy.Terell Case, 18, from Dyffryn, and Joshua Williams, 34, of no fixed address, appeared before Newport Magistrates’ Court on Sunday after a major police investigation into the double fatality.Judge Sophie Toms told the defendants the case could not be dealt with at the magistrates’ court and confirmed it would be transferred to Cardiff Crown Court. Neither man entered pleas during the hearing.Case was initially arrested on suspicion of murder shortly after the incident and was later formally charged.
Williams was also charged with murder in connection with the deaths.Police confirmed that two women, aged 24 and 40, who had earlier been arrested on suspicion of murder, had since been released from custody.Tributes have continued to pour in for the two teenagers, with family members and friends speaking of their heartbreak following the crash.Jaydon’s mother, Sophie Pederson, said she was struggling to cope with the loss of her “firstborn” and described her son as “my whole world”.His girlfriend, Rachael Stephenson, said the 19-year-old had “the purest heart” and emotionally reflected on the future they had planne together.Senior investigating officer Detective Superintendent Steven Maloney said specially trained officers were supporting both families while inquiries continued.He added that police had been “working around the clock” to gather evidence and warned residents they would continue to see an increased police presence in the area as the investigation progresses.


author
About the AuthorTOI World Desk

At TOI World Desk, our dedicated team of seasoned journalists and passionate writers tirelessly sifts through the vast tapestry of global events to bring you the latest news and diverse perspectives round the clock. With an unwavering commitment to accuracy, depth, and timeliness, we strive to keep you informed about the ever-evolving world, delivering a nuanced understanding of international affairs to our readers. Join us on a journey across continents as we unravel the stories that shape our interconnected world.

End of Article
Follow Us On Social Media