Chicago: One killed, several injured in two separate shootings; Trump slams 'low IQ Mayor'
One person was killed and at least eight teenagers were wounded in two separate shootings late Friday in Chicago’s Loop, only hours after the city lit its official Christmas tree in Millennium Park.
The first incident took place around 9.50 pm (US local time) near State and Randolph streets, close to the Chicago Theatre. Police on patrol heard shots fired into a large crowd in the 100 block of North State Street. Seven teenagers, aged 13 to 17, were taken to Stroger Hospital and Lurie Children’s Hospital. Six were listed in good condition and one in fair condition, according to The New York Times.
Shortly afterward, a second shooting occurred on the 100 block of South Dearborn Street. One man later died at Northwestern Hospital, while an 18-year-old was treated for a serious leg wound.
Witnesses described chaos as people ran for safety. Linda Dixon, leaving the Chicago Theatre at the time, said, “We almost got knocked in the street, because everyone was running that way. It is very disheartening… Holiday time, everybody wants to celebrate and enjoy the evening, and something like this happens.”
Police said no suspects were in custody. Investigations into both shootings are ongoing.
He criticised Illinois Governor JB Pritzker and Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson for resisting National Guard deployment during unrest linked to the administration’s immigration crackdown.
Mayor Johnson condemned the violence, saying such incidents “cannot continue” despite increased police presence. “We have too many guns and too many young people who do not value their lives or the lives of others,” he told CBS News, adding that 300 additional officers would be assigned for Saturday night’s holiday parade.
Earlier last month, US President Donald Trump ordered the deployment of around 500 National Guard troops near Chicago, despite objections from Mayor Brandon Johnson and Illinois Governor JB Pritzker, who criticised the move as an unnecessary militarisation of the city
Rich Guidice, former head of the Chicago Office of Emergency Management and Communications and ex–chief of staff to Johnson, argued the city was addressing symptoms rather than root causes. “The parents of these teens must take responsibility. These are young children, under 17 years old,” he said.
Shortly afterward, a second shooting occurred on the 100 block of South Dearborn Street. One man later died at Northwestern Hospital, while an 18-year-old was treated for a serious leg wound.
Witnesses described chaos as people ran for safety. Linda Dixon, leaving the Chicago Theatre at the time, said, “We almost got knocked in the street, because everyone was running that way. It is very disheartening… Holiday time, everybody wants to celebrate and enjoy the evening, and something like this happens.”
Police said no suspects were in custody. Investigations into both shootings are ongoing.
Trump weighs in with claims
US President Donald Trump reacted to the shootings in a post on Truth Social, alleging “massive crime and rioting in the Chicago Loop area” and claiming “multiple police officers” were “attacked and badly injured,” though police have not reported any officer injuries.Mayor Johnson condemned the violence, saying such incidents “cannot continue” despite increased police presence. “We have too many guns and too many young people who do not value their lives or the lives of others,” he told CBS News, adding that 300 additional officers would be assigned for Saturday night’s holiday parade.
Earlier last month, US President Donald Trump ordered the deployment of around 500 National Guard troops near Chicago, despite objections from Mayor Brandon Johnson and Illinois Governor JB Pritzker, who criticised the move as an unnecessary militarisation of the city
Rich Guidice, former head of the Chicago Office of Emergency Management and Communications and ex–chief of staff to Johnson, argued the city was addressing symptoms rather than root causes. “The parents of these teens must take responsibility. These are young children, under 17 years old,” he said.
Top Comment
V
Vijayalakshmanan. S
17 hours ago
People would continue to flock most developed countries for better living opportunities; however much of restrictions are tightened by rich countries, particularly English language-based onesRead allPost comment
Popular from World
- No entry ever: Indian man visits Canada to see newborn grandchild, harasses teens; faces deportation
- 'It was uncomfortable for me': US F-16 pilot 'shocked' that Dubai air show went on even after Tejas crash
- Canada set to overhaul citizenship-by-descent rules; big relief for Indian-origin families
- Will Kash Patel carry on? FBI's 'desi' Director in focus as Epstein files deadline looms
- 'Zero gratitude for our efforts': Trump slams Zelenskyy; accuses Europe of buying Russian oil
end of article
Trending Stories
- No entry ever: Indian man visits Canada to see newborn grandchild, harasses teens; faces deportation
- Canada set to overhaul citizenship-by-descent rules; big relief for Indian-origin families
- Ciara is in awe of Russell Wilson’s “fullness as a man” as she opens up about their age-gap marriage and his old-soul maturity
- Weekly Wealth Horoscope Predictions, November 23 to November 29, 2025: Your money luck for the week
- Stefon Diggs’ partner Cardi B makes a bold statement after childbirth by transforming her baby’s umbilical cord into a gold pendant
- Smriti Mandhana–Palash Muchhal wedding indefinitely postponed; cricketer’s father unwell
- Lucky numbers for November 23 to November 29: Your weekly fortunate number revealed
Featured in world
- Indian-origin 'cocaine lawyer' Deepak Paradkar arrested in Canada for helping ex-Olympian kill FBI witness
- Lakshmi Mittal leaves UK over 'inheritance tax', now a Swiss resident, claims report
- 'We did not forget': Who is Nazeer Hameed, Indian man wanted in the US for 2017 murder of co-worker's wife and son?
- No entry ever: Indian man visits Canada to see newborn grandchild, harasses teens; faces deportation
- Canada set to overhaul citizenship-by-descent rules; big relief for Indian-origin families
- Flying this Thanksgiving? The TSA tips you’ll actually need as almost 18 million travellers hit the airports
Photostories
- Ariana Grande and Cynthia Erivo: 5 co-stars who went from strangers to best friends
- Fun English family dramas you simply can't miss
- Beyond the cape: Unveiling the top superhero anime
- Rashmika Mandanna's chic-cosy winter wardrobe is worth bookmarking
- Better sleep to heart health: Top 5 benefits of walking for 15-minutes right after meals
- Sonam Kapoor to Ananya Panday: Today’s most viral celebrity fashion moments
- 7 beautiful night-blooming flowers with invigorating fragrance
- Meet the actress whose debut was a massive flop, then delivered India’s first Rs 1000-crore blockbuster
- 11 incredible things about rhinos that will surprise you
- Lionel Messi and wife Antonela’s top 5 parenting tips
Videos
15:12 'Where Is U.S?: Lula, Carney Laugh As Ramaphosa Bangs Gavel To Handover G20 Presidency To U.S14:37 'It's Called Lying': MTG Drops 2028 Shocker; EXPLODES After 'Secret' Run Rumor Goes Viral03:01 Ukraine Army ‘AMBUSHES’ Own Troops With Drones As They Try To Surrender To Putin’s Men | Report06:06 Ukraine’s Negotiator HAILS Trump’s ‘Updated’ Peace Plan; Zelensky’s Surrender Imminent? | Watch06:26 'CHILL OUT, STOP LYING!' Comer Unloads Jeffries-Epstein EMAILS In Explosive Congress Showdown04:18 British Police Chopper 'FORCED' Into Emergency Dive Over US Base | Leaked Logs Reveal UFO Encounter03:39 Trump To ‘BRING IN’ Troops In Chicago? Drops Bombshell After Teens Run Riot, Kill 1 & Shoot 803:36 ‘Make Smart Decisions Or Lose’: Trump Envoy Warns Zelensky Of Consequences If Kyiv 'Dumps' Peace05:01 Trump Loses Cool At ‘TRAITOR’ Dems Telling US Troops To Disobey Orders | ‘SEDITION AT HIGHEST LEVEL’
Up Next