‘There’s no chance’: JD Vance rules out years‑long war in Middle East amid possible US strike on Iran
US Vice President JD Vance on Thursday said there is “no chance” that any US military strike on Iran would drag the country into a long, drawn-out war.
In an interview with The Washington Post, Vance said President Donald Trump could choose between military action “to ensure Iran isn’t going to get a nuclear weapon” or pursuing diplomacy. “The idea that we’re going to be in a Middle Eastern war for years with no end in sight — there is no chance that will happen,” he said.
Vance also said that both he and Trump remain skeptical of foreign military interventions. “We all prefer the diplomatic option,” he added.
He cited last year’s airstrikes on Iran’s nuclear facilities and the January capture of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro as examples of “very clearly defined” military campaigns.
Vance, a 41-year-old Marine veteran who served in the Iraq War, has previously said from the Senate floor that he had been “lied to” about the reasons for the US involvement in Iraq. “I still see myself as a skeptic of foreign military interventions,” he said. “But it really depends on what the Iranians do and what they say.”
The US State Department has authorised voluntary departure of nonessential personnel and their families from Israel, citing safety risks amid rising tensions. Similar guidance was issued earlier for staff in Lebanon.
US citizens were urged to “consider leaving Israel while commercial flights are available.” Ambassador Mike Huckabee told embassy staff to “do so TODAY” to avoid shortages in flights.
The US has also deployed more than a dozen warships to the region, including USS Abraham Lincoln and USS Gerald R. Ford, marking its largest Middle East presence since before the 2003 Iraq War.
Diplomatic talks between the United States and Iran ended on Thursday in Geneva without a breakthrough that could avert potential US military action over Tehran’s nuclear programme.
Oman’s Foreign Minister Badr al‑Busaidi, who is mediating the negotiations, said the session concluded on Thursday after “significant progress” but no final agreement was reached.
He added that consultations would take place in the respective capitals, and technical‑level discussions are expected next week in Vienna.
While both sides expressed cautious optimism about the tone of the talks, core disagreements remain, particularly over Iran’s uranium enrichment and sanctions relief, leaving the threat of escalation unresolved.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi described the negotiations as more serious and prolonged than earlier rounds, but acknowledged that fundamental differences persist.
Vance also said that both he and Trump remain skeptical of foreign military interventions. “We all prefer the diplomatic option,” he added.
He cited last year’s airstrikes on Iran’s nuclear facilities and the January capture of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro as examples of “very clearly defined” military campaigns.
US orders nonessential staff to leave Israel
The US State Department has authorised voluntary departure of nonessential personnel and their families from Israel, citing safety risks amid rising tensions. Similar guidance was issued earlier for staff in Lebanon.
US citizens were urged to “consider leaving Israel while commercial flights are available.” Ambassador Mike Huckabee told embassy staff to “do so TODAY” to avoid shortages in flights.
The US has also deployed more than a dozen warships to the region, including USS Abraham Lincoln and USS Gerald R. Ford, marking its largest Middle East presence since before the 2003 Iraq War.
US‑Iran Geneva Talks end without breakthrough
Diplomatic talks between the United States and Iran ended on Thursday in Geneva without a breakthrough that could avert potential US military action over Tehran’s nuclear programme.
Oman’s Foreign Minister Badr al‑Busaidi, who is mediating the negotiations, said the session concluded on Thursday after “significant progress” but no final agreement was reached.
He added that consultations would take place in the respective capitals, and technical‑level discussions are expected next week in Vienna.
While both sides expressed cautious optimism about the tone of the talks, core disagreements remain, particularly over Iran’s uranium enrichment and sanctions relief, leaving the threat of escalation unresolved.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi described the negotiations as more serious and prolonged than earlier rounds, but acknowledged that fundamental differences persist.
Popular from World
- 'Open war' declared: Pakistan strikes Kabul, Kandahar — 10 things to know about Operation Ghazab Lil Haq
- Pakistan launches Operation Ghazab Lil Haq after 55 killed in Afghan strikes: What we know so far
- 'Open war': Pakistan's Khwaja Asif warns as border clashes with Afghanistan resume
- Watch: Pakistan releases video of overnight airstrikes on Kabul
- Columbia student detained by ICE agents to be released after Mamdani–Trump meeting
end of article
Trending Stories
- T20 World Cup Live: As Pakistan watch closely, NZ elect to bat first against England
- India GDP Q3 Growth Data 2026 Live Updates: First GDP data under new series to be released today
- Earthquake jolts Kolkata, panic among residents
- CBSE Class 10 Science Paper 2026 PDF Now Available: Download and Analyze
- Why is stock market down today? Nifty50 falls 317 points, BSE Sensex crashes 961 points to close at 81,287- top reasons
08:03 Kejriwal, Sisodia Discharged: Delhi court finds no evidence of conspiracy; CBI plans to appeal- Delhi Liquor Policy Case News Live Updates: 'I'll quit politics if BJP wins even 10 seats,' Kejriwal dares PM Modi to hold fresh Delhi polls
Featured in world
- A plumber who rescues greyhounds: Meet Hannah Spencer, Green Party’s first MP in Northern England
- Labour Pain: Why Green win in bypolls is a major red flag for Keir Starmer
- 'Put Indians in charge and...': Trolls target Indian-origin CFO Ravi Thanawala as Papa Johns announces closing of 300 pizza shops
- Indian-origin Amritpal Singh charged with kidnapping women after offering them ‘employment opportunities’ in Canada
- No surveillance, no lethal weapons: Anthropic just said 'No' to Pete Hegseth and Uncle Sam cannot keep calm
- Dubai police arrest beggar with three luxury cars amid anti-begging crackdown in Ramadan
Photostories
- Deepika Padukone to Aishwarya Rai: Bollywood stars who turned down Hollywood projects
- From Bengal’s Mukut to Marathi Mundavalya:5 stunning bridal headgears from different states
- 8 healthy daily habits to keep your heart strong and prevent heart disease, says cardiologist
- Top 7 muscle car names that defined an era
- Regional Holi foods from different parts of India that no one talks about
- What happens when you wake up at the same time every night and the spiritual meaning behind it
- 5 famous tourist destinations with really dark nicknames
- King Charles III- ex-Prince Andrew to Kate Middleton-Pippa: 6 famous UK royals who lived lavishly while their siblings had simpler lives
- ‘Kennedy’, ‘Sector 36’, ‘Daldal’: Mind-bending Indian psychological thrillers streaming on OTT right now
- Delhi launches Rs 160-crore underground cabling project in Chandni Chowk
Videos
08:38 Sweden Says It Foiled Russia's Drone Strike On French Carrier In Baltic; Moscow Yet To Comment13:57 'Not True': U.S. Intel Counters Trump Claim On Iran Long-Range Missile Capabilities11:48 Saudi, Iran Ramp Up Oil Production & Exports As Fears Of War, Energy Disruption Persist07:14 'Necessary For The Right': JD Vance Praises 'ANTI-ISRAEL' Carlson After Huckabee Interview Outrage09:23 'Iran A Friend, Won't Support American Kil**rs': Protesters In NATO Nation Slam US Military Presence- U.S. Closes Texas Airspace After Shooting Down Border Drone In Fiery Domestic Showdown, Claim Dems
06:46 China Vs US Showdown Over Iran: Beijing Declares Full Support To Tehran Against External Aggression12:24 China Leaks Imagery Of U.S. Air Force Deployment Near Iran; Fighters, AWACS, Tankers Spotted | WATCH10:14 On Cam: Russia Hits Ukraine With 9M729 Cruise Missile That Forced Trump To Exit Nuclear Pact
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment