Toilet trouble aboard US aircraft carrier: Troops feel the 'pressure' as Trump vows to flush out Khamenei regime
As the United States keeps a powerful naval presence near the Middle East amid rising tensions with Iran, its most advanced aircraft carrier is facing an unexpected and persistent challenge — repeated failures in its onboard sewage system.
The USS Gerald R Ford, commissioned in 2017 as the lead ship of a new class of supercarriers, has been hit by chronic plumbing breakdowns even as it continues extended deployment, according to several media reports. While the US Navy maintains that the technical issues have not compromised operational readiness, internal records and crew accounts point to mounting strain below deck.
Built at a cost of $13 billion, the carrier introduced several next-generation systems, including a vacuum-based sewage network adapted from cruise ships to reduce water usage. However, according to Gulf News, the system’s “narrow pipes” have struggled to handle waste from a crew of more than 4,600 sailors, resulting in frequent clogs and vacuum failures.
NPR reported that emails it obtained documented 205 sewage-related breakdowns over a four-day period, with engineering teams working 19-hour shifts to manage leaks and overflows. During its 2025 deployment, which included operations off Venezuela that led to the capture of President Nicolás Maduro in January, the ship averaged one “sewage-related maintenance call per day”, according to the Navy Times.
Earlier, Forbes reported in 2022 that severe blockages required a specialised acid flush costing $400,000 each time.
The Wall Street Journal reported that crew members confirmed recurring malfunctions, describing increasing frustration as the deployment was extended for a second time. The current mission is nearing one of the longest continuous deployments in US Navy history, the report said.
Since 2023, external technical support has reportedly been called in 42 times, including 32 incidents in 2025 alone. The problems have continued into 2026.
The USS Ford, powered by next-generation nuclear reactors and equipped with advanced aircraft and weapons systems, remains a central asset in US maritime strategy. However, critics cited in US media reports have raised concerns about how persistent system failures aboard a multi-billion-dollar platform could affect morale during prolonged deployments.
The developments come as US President Donald Trump has warned of possible tough action against Iran. The Navy has said that despite the plumbing setbacks, the carrier’s mission capability remains unaffected.
Iranian and the US negotiators will be meeting in Geneva for another round of talks on Thursday.
Meanwhile, Trump, last week speaking at Board of Peace meeting had said US could escalate further step and "bad things" could happen, if a "meaningful deal" is not reached. Warning, "you will know in next 10 days."
Repeated breakdowns at sea
Built at a cost of $13 billion, the carrier introduced several next-generation systems, including a vacuum-based sewage network adapted from cruise ships to reduce water usage. However, according to Gulf News, the system’s “narrow pipes” have struggled to handle waste from a crew of more than 4,600 sailors, resulting in frequent clogs and vacuum failures.
NPR reported that emails it obtained documented 205 sewage-related breakdowns over a four-day period, with engineering teams working 19-hour shifts to manage leaks and overflows. During its 2025 deployment, which included operations off Venezuela that led to the capture of President Nicolás Maduro in January, the ship averaged one “sewage-related maintenance call per day”, according to the Navy Times.
Earlier, Forbes reported in 2022 that severe blockages required a specialised acid flush costing $400,000 each time.
Extended mission, rising fatigue
The Wall Street Journal reported that crew members confirmed recurring malfunctions, describing increasing frustration as the deployment was extended for a second time. The current mission is nearing one of the longest continuous deployments in US Navy history, the report said.
Since 2023, external technical support has reportedly been called in 42 times, including 32 incidents in 2025 alone. The problems have continued into 2026.
Readiness questions amid high stakes
The USS Ford, powered by next-generation nuclear reactors and equipped with advanced aircraft and weapons systems, remains a central asset in US maritime strategy. However, critics cited in US media reports have raised concerns about how persistent system failures aboard a multi-billion-dollar platform could affect morale during prolonged deployments.
The developments come as US President Donald Trump has warned of possible tough action against Iran. The Navy has said that despite the plumbing setbacks, the carrier’s mission capability remains unaffected.
Iranian and the US negotiators will be meeting in Geneva for another round of talks on Thursday.
Meanwhile, Trump, last week speaking at Board of Peace meeting had said US could escalate further step and "bad things" could happen, if a "meaningful deal" is not reached. Warning, "you will know in next 10 days."
Top Comment
M
Mistrrr Ghostt
5 hours ago
Nice headline..Read allPost comment
Popular from World
- “Bride of Charlie”: Candace Owens ignites backlash with explosive investigative series targeting Erika Kirk
- Toilet trouble aboard US aircraft carrier: Troops feel the 'pressure' as Trump vows to flush out Khamenei regime
- A forest cabin in Mexico and a targeted strike: How El Mencho’s girlfriend became central to operation that took him out
- Middle East on edge: Iran to buy Chinese anti-ship cruise missiles amid Trump’s strike threat
- Indian woman held for overstaying UAE visa returns to Kerala after legal intervention
end of article
Trending Stories
- The Bride Of Charlie: Candace Owens sparks rift with Erika Kirk exposé; only Matt Walsh speaks out
- Is Giannis Antetokounmpo playing tonight vs the Miami Heat? Latest update on the Milwaukee Bucks star's injury report (February 24, 2026)
- “My deepest gratitude”: Candace Owens fires back after Bride of Charlie trailer triggers backlash over Erika Kirk series
- UPSC extends CSE 2026 deadline after portal issues; applications now open till February 27, 2026
- India qualification scenario: How can Team India reach T20 World Cup 2026 semi-final after West Indies win?
- Son Heung-min’s 2018 World Cup setback continues to shape his leadership as he begins a new MLS chapter
- T20 WC: England beat Pakistan, enter semis
Featured in world
- US moves closer to tougher H-1B wage norms as proposal clears federal review
- The unconscious soundtrack of the doomscroll generation? It's phonk
- Russian agency claims UK, France covertly planning to transfer N-weapons to Ukraine
- BoJo says send non-combat European troops to Ukraine now
- UK House approves release of classified docus tied to Andrew
- Indo-Canadian translator on International Booker longlist
Photostories
- Shahid Kapoor birthday special: Best performances of the actor to watch on OTT
- Holi 2026: How to make desi style Gujiya at home
- 5 times the UK Royal family rocked headlines with scandals and controversies
- Top 5 cities in South India for real estate investment in 2026
- What is Lab-grown gold: How is it made and why it matters
- Sadya to Malabar Biryani: 12 iconic dishes of Kerala/Keralam every foodie should try
- Sridevi death anniversary: ‘ChaalBaaz’, ‘Chandni’, ‘English Vinglish’, revisiting some of her most unforgettable films
- 10 tallest statues in the world travellers need to add to their travel wish-list
- Kerala to Keralam: Union Cabinet clears name change; 5 other places that were renamed
- Gauranga Das shares 3 things you should never do in a relationship
Videos
- Chaos On Call As Zelensky Demands Money, UK PM Starmer's Link Fail; 'Can't See You...' | On Camera
- 'ACT NOW...': Putin's BIG Order To Top Russian Security Officials Amid 'UKRAINE NUKE' Reports
08:26 US Navy In Crosshairs Of Chinese Missile? Beijing-Tehran Weapons Talks Raise Alarm | Watch08:26 US Navy In Crosshairs Of Chinese Missile? Beijing-Tehran Weapons Talks Raise Alarm | Watch08:50 Iran 'ACTIVATES' Missile Cities? Inside Tehran's Mountain Fortress Designed For Second Strike Power08:50 Iran 'ACTIVATES' Missile Cities? Inside Tehran's Mountain Fortress Designed For Second Strike Power08:22 Russia Sounds Alarm Over Nuclear Plan In Europe, Makes Shocking Demand; 'Stop Immediately Else...'07:01 Cartel Violence Intensifies In Mexico After El Mencho Killing; FIFA WC City On Edge05:26 'Why's FBI Not Asking...': Thomas Massie Explodes On DOJ's Epstein Probe; Names People To Prosecute
Up Next