This story is from August 27, 2020
Trump is no hawk, believes in seeking peace instead of perpetual conflict: White House official
WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump "is no hawk" and he believes in seeking peace instead of perpetual conflict, a top national security official from the White House told Americans Wednesday as he urged them to re-elect him in the November presidential election.
"President Trump challenged, and continues to challenge, an increasingly provocative and militant China. But make no mistake, President Trump is no hawk,” Lt Gen (retired) Joseph Keith Kellogg Jr., who is the National Security Advisor to Vice President Mike Pence, said in his address to the Republican National Convention.
"He wisely wields the sword when required, but believes in seeking peace instead of perpetual conflict,” Kellogg said in his address on the third day of the convention.
The Republican National Convention will on Thursday formally re-nominate President Donald Trump as its candidate for the November 3 presidential election.
President Trump and Vice President Mike Pence will be challenged by
In his remarks, Kellogg said that just over a week ago, Trump brokered a peace agreement between the United Arab Emirates and Israel, the first in the Middle East in over 25 years. And this week, Afghan negotiators, with help from American officials, will start peace negotiations between the Taliban and the Afghan government to end America's longest war, he said.
"Ask yourself, has this President kept his promises...to keep us out of needless conflicts and to pursue ending wars without end? Has he defended your interests in renegotiating trade deals that previously hurt Americans and our national security? Has he fulfilled his Commander in Chief role by decisively going after our Nation's enemies? You and I know, the answer is yes,” Kellogg said.
The choice is clear, he said. “This is the most important election of our lifetime. The next four years will decide the course of our country for decades to come. I am asking you to stand up and be counted, so we never have to look back and recall what it was once like in America when men and women were free, our families were secure -- and we had a President who served the people,” he said. Over the past three-and-a-half years, Kellogg said, he has witnessed every major foreign policy and national security decision by the President. “I have been in the room where it happened. I saw only one agenda and one guiding question when tough calls had to be made…is this decision right for America?” he said.
“When President Donald Trump took office, decades of failed foreign policy had crippled us. He faced wars without end in sight, creation of failed states like Libya and Syria, a past that allowed a terrorist caliphate to grow, and leadership in Washington that allowed our military to atrophy while we spent trillions of dollars abroad instead of investing at home,” he said. Kellogg said that Trump has reversed the decline of military and restructured national security strategy. With historic investment and vision, the military is now better equipped, better resourced and better manned than any military in the world, he asserted. President Trump demolished the terrorist ISIS Caliphate in the Middle East and eliminated its leader, al-Baghdadi, one of the world's most brutal murderers, he said. Trump took decisive action against Iranian terrorist mastermind Qasim Soleimani -- a man responsible for the deaths of hundreds of American servicemen in Iraq, he added. “When our NATO allies failed to meet their commitments as we upheld ours, President Trump demanded parity. NATO members have now increased their contributions over USD 100 Billion this year and NATO's Secretary General credits…President Donald J. Trump,” Kellogg said.
"He wisely wields the sword when required, but believes in seeking peace instead of perpetual conflict,” Kellogg said in his address on the third day of the convention.
The Republican National Convention will on Thursday formally re-nominate President Donald Trump as its candidate for the November 3 presidential election.
President Trump and Vice President Mike Pence will be challenged by
the Democratic Party
's presidential nominee Joe Biden and his Indian-American running mate Senator Kamala Harris.In his remarks, Kellogg said that just over a week ago, Trump brokered a peace agreement between the United Arab Emirates and Israel, the first in the Middle East in over 25 years. And this week, Afghan negotiators, with help from American officials, will start peace negotiations between the Taliban and the Afghan government to end America's longest war, he said.
"Ask yourself, has this President kept his promises...to keep us out of needless conflicts and to pursue ending wars without end? Has he defended your interests in renegotiating trade deals that previously hurt Americans and our national security? Has he fulfilled his Commander in Chief role by decisively going after our Nation's enemies? You and I know, the answer is yes,” Kellogg said.
“When President Donald Trump took office, decades of failed foreign policy had crippled us. He faced wars without end in sight, creation of failed states like Libya and Syria, a past that allowed a terrorist caliphate to grow, and leadership in Washington that allowed our military to atrophy while we spent trillions of dollars abroad instead of investing at home,” he said. Kellogg said that Trump has reversed the decline of military and restructured national security strategy. With historic investment and vision, the military is now better equipped, better resourced and better manned than any military in the world, he asserted. President Trump demolished the terrorist ISIS Caliphate in the Middle East and eliminated its leader, al-Baghdadi, one of the world's most brutal murderers, he said. Trump took decisive action against Iranian terrorist mastermind Qasim Soleimani -- a man responsible for the deaths of hundreds of American servicemen in Iraq, he added. “When our NATO allies failed to meet their commitments as we upheld ours, President Trump demanded parity. NATO members have now increased their contributions over USD 100 Billion this year and NATO's Secretary General credits…President Donald J. Trump,” Kellogg said.
Top Comment
G
Gangulyabh
1582 days ago
Had he kept away from useless remarks and twitter tirades, his work would have shown brighter. It got lost in the cacophony. Read allPost comment
Popular from World
- Canada ends flagpoling for work and study permits. What it means?
- Azerbaijan Airlines crash: Survivor films dramatic video from inside aircraft
- ‘Ozempic Santa’: Elon Musk shares quirky picture of himself on Christmas Day
- Sriram Krishnan faces backlash: ‘Did you vote for this Indian to run America?’ sparks AI policy debate as David Sacks, Ro Khanna defend him
- Luigi Mangione craze: CEO murder suspect's Nordstrom sweater sells out after courtroom appearance as 'fans' rush to copy his look
end of article
Trending Stories
- Luigi Mangione craze: CEO murder suspect's Nordstrom sweater sells out after courtroom appearance as 'fans' rush to copy his look
- “Couldn't relate”: Travis Kelce did not mince words when it came to his feelings on watching Taylor Swift's favourite movie Love Actually
- US Plans to Remove H-1B Visa Country Cap: What It Means for India
- Michael Jordan's ex-wife Juanita Vanoy wishes her son Marcus Jordan on his birthday with a heartwarming message on Instagram, Marcus responds: "Love you ma!"
- 260 Canada colleges involved in trafficking: ED
- 'Has ke baat nahi karna inse': Virat Kohli's fiery instructions to Mohammed Siraj at MCG
- Student's rape on university campus shocks Chennai, parties bicker
Visual Stories
- How to make Masala Chicken Curry at home
- 10 beautiful animals that are pink in colour
- 10 easy-to-care-for beautiful freshwater fish for home aquariums
- 9 vegetarian dishes shine in the ‘100 Best Dishes in the World’ list
- 10 rare animals found only in Asia
TOP TRENDS
UP NEXT