Will Raúl Castro’s indictment over 1996 shooting down of civilian planes push US and Cuba closer to war?
Raúl Castro’s indictment by US over the 1996 shooting down of civilian planes has raised tensions between Washington and Havana, with some analysts warning the move could push the two Cold War rivals closer to open conflict.
The charges against the 94-year-old former Cuban president were announced this week in Miami, where Cuban exile groups welcomed the decision as long-awaited justice for the deaths of four Cuban Americans killed when Cuban fighter jets shot down two planes operated by Brothers to the Rescue in 1996.
But in Cuba, Raúl Castro is still viewed by supporters as one of the main symbols of the communist revolution founded alongside his revolutionary brother Fidel Castro.
“He is the living embodiment of the revolution,” former US diplomat Ricardo Zúñiga told CNN.
Zúñiga was involved in secret negotiations that restored diplomatic ties between the US and Cuba during the Obama administration. He warned that the indictment could close off communication between the two governments and make tensions even more dangerous.
“Eventually the frustration on both sides could lead to conflict simply because Washington shuts down communication with the Cuban government through this indictment,” he said.
The charges come at a time when Cuba is already facing one of its worst economic and humanitarian crises in decades. Fuel shortages, food scarcity and long power cuts have fuelled growing frustration across the island, while new US sanctions and restrictions have increased pressure on Havana.
US President Donald Trump has criticised Cuba’s government in recent months while also suggesting he remains open to a possible deal.
“I can (make a deal) whether you change the regime or not. It has been a rough regime and they killed a lot of people,” Trump said on Tuesday.
The POTUS added: “But it’s a country that really needs help. They can’t turn on the lights, they can’t eat. We don’t want to see that.”
At the same time, secretary of state Marco Rubio, a Cuban-American and longtime critic of the Castro family, has taken a much harder line. He thinks Cuba’s current leadership should be removed from power.
The indictment has encouraged anti-Castro groups in Miami, many of whom believe Cuba’s communist government is weakening and could eventually collapse under pressure.
“The time of the Castros is over,” Cuban-American Congresswoman Maria Elvira Salazar said on X.
For Cuban exile communities, the 1996 shootdown remains one of the most painful chapters in US-Cuba relations. The Brothers to the Rescue aircraft had been flying missions linked to Cuban refugees and had previously dropped anti-government leaflets over Havana. Cuban authorities insisted at the time that the planes violated Cuban airspace and defended the attack as an act of national sovereignty.
Now, the indictment could create conditions for a direct confrontation if the US attempts to pursue Castro more aggressively. The charges could theoretically provide a legal basis for extradition efforts or further action against senior Cuban officials.
Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel has responded defiantly, accusing Washington of trying to force political change on Cuba. Cuba’s military has increased exercises across the country while state messaging has warned citizens to prepare for possible aggression, reports CNN
Díaz-Canel has also warned that “a blood bath” would await any invading force.
Analysts say any military confrontation would carry huge risks despite Cuba’s weaker military position. Unlike Venezuela, where the US recently increased pressure on Nicolás Maduro’s government, Cuba’s political and military leadership remains tied to the revolutionary system built by Fidel and Raúl Castro over decades.
Even though he officially stepped down from power years ago, Raúl Castro still holds enormous symbolic influence inside Cuba. He is regularly referred to as the leader of the revolution, and senior officials continue to consult him on major decisions.
Zúñiga warned that isolating Cuba’s leadership entirely could make the situation more volatile rather than less.
“On the Cuban side by shutting down communication they may fail to appreciate that the next stage here from the US side could be some kind of assault,” he said.
He added: “But there isn’t much to destroy that isn’t already decrepit.”
But in Cuba, Raúl Castro is still viewed by supporters as one of the main symbols of the communist revolution founded alongside his revolutionary brother Fidel Castro.
“He is the living embodiment of the revolution,” former US diplomat Ricardo Zúñiga told CNN.
Zúñiga was involved in secret negotiations that restored diplomatic ties between the US and Cuba during the Obama administration. He warned that the indictment could close off communication between the two governments and make tensions even more dangerous.
“Eventually the frustration on both sides could lead to conflict simply because Washington shuts down communication with the Cuban government through this indictment,” he said.
The charges come at a time when Cuba is already facing one of its worst economic and humanitarian crises in decades. Fuel shortages, food scarcity and long power cuts have fuelled growing frustration across the island, while new US sanctions and restrictions have increased pressure on Havana.
“I can (make a deal) whether you change the regime or not. It has been a rough regime and they killed a lot of people,” Trump said on Tuesday.
The POTUS added: “But it’s a country that really needs help. They can’t turn on the lights, they can’t eat. We don’t want to see that.”
At the same time, secretary of state Marco Rubio, a Cuban-American and longtime critic of the Castro family, has taken a much harder line. He thinks Cuba’s current leadership should be removed from power.
The indictment has encouraged anti-Castro groups in Miami, many of whom believe Cuba’s communist government is weakening and could eventually collapse under pressure.
“The time of the Castros is over,” Cuban-American Congresswoman Maria Elvira Salazar said on X.
For Cuban exile communities, the 1996 shootdown remains one of the most painful chapters in US-Cuba relations. The Brothers to the Rescue aircraft had been flying missions linked to Cuban refugees and had previously dropped anti-government leaflets over Havana. Cuban authorities insisted at the time that the planes violated Cuban airspace and defended the attack as an act of national sovereignty.
Now, the indictment could create conditions for a direct confrontation if the US attempts to pursue Castro more aggressively. The charges could theoretically provide a legal basis for extradition efforts or further action against senior Cuban officials.
Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel has responded defiantly, accusing Washington of trying to force political change on Cuba. Cuba’s military has increased exercises across the country while state messaging has warned citizens to prepare for possible aggression, reports CNN
Díaz-Canel has also warned that “a blood bath” would await any invading force.
Analysts say any military confrontation would carry huge risks despite Cuba’s weaker military position. Unlike Venezuela, where the US recently increased pressure on Nicolás Maduro’s government, Cuba’s political and military leadership remains tied to the revolutionary system built by Fidel and Raúl Castro over decades.
Even though he officially stepped down from power years ago, Raúl Castro still holds enormous symbolic influence inside Cuba. He is regularly referred to as the leader of the revolution, and senior officials continue to consult him on major decisions.
Zúñiga warned that isolating Cuba’s leadership entirely could make the situation more volatile rather than less.
“On the Cuban side by shutting down communication they may fail to appreciate that the next stage here from the US side could be some kind of assault,” he said.
He added: “But there isn’t much to destroy that isn’t already decrepit.”
Comments (2)
M
Mouni BabaMost Interacted
2 hours ago
That killer dictator needs to spend the rest of his days in a jail cell. What if he is 94 years old? He brutally tortured and murd...Read More
Reply
0
Reply
Popular from World
- The MAGfather: Trump shows total control over GOP
- Quote of the day by Queen Elizabeth: “Over the years, those who have seemed to me to be the most happy, contented and fulfilled have always been the people who have lived the most outgoing and unselfish lives.”
- Quote of the day by Amal Clooney: “If you’re a woman lying on the beach in the Maldives, you might want to know that a kilometer away, another woman is...”
- A 93-year-old widow gave $1 billion to a Bronx medical school, and future doctors may never see tuition bills again
- 10 countries with highest anaconda population in the world: From Brazil to French Guiana
end of article
Trending Stories
- IPL 2026 Playoff Qualification Scenarios: With 5 matches to go, RR hold edge as PBKS and KKR chase the final spot — paths for each team explained
- IPL 2026 | Hardik Pandya left stunned after Robin Minz and Deepak Chahar's comedy of errors - WATCH
- 'PM's hair was on fire': Trump & Netanyahu spar over Iran war's next steps in heated phone call
- Two superpowers, one host: How Xi handled Trump and Putin differently
- US-Iran War News Live Updates: Iran sets new Strait of Hormuz rules, requires vessel coordination and permits
- Quote of the day by Queen Elizabeth: “Over the years, those who have seemed to me to be the most happy, contented and fulfilled have always been the people who have lived the most outgoing and unselfish lives.”
- Quote of the day by Amal Clooney: “If you’re a woman lying on the beach in the Maldives, you might want to know that a kilometer away, another woman is...”
Featured in world
- Mystery substance scare: 3 dead, first responders quarantined over toxic exposure in US
- Another military operation on cards? USS Nimitz enters Caribbean amid US-Cuba tensions
- ‘Hair on fire’: Trump, Netanyahu call turns tense over Iran strategy
- "Charlie was about to update his will": Candace Owens sparks backlash after explosive Charlie Kirk conspiracy claims on livestream
- Was Nina Lin arrested? Twitch streamer claims missed $4 scissors scan led to night in jail
- Tennessee man jailed for 37 days over Charlie Kirk meme to receive $835,000 settlement
Photostories
- 7 foods to always keep in the freezer and why
- Giorgia Meloni’s power-dressing era is just impossible to ignore
- 7 shower design mistakes that can not just cause inconvenience but make your bathroom look cheap
- Most inspiring Mother Teresa quotes about humanity and compassion
- The hidden health risks of sitting on the toilet too long and why doctors want you to stop scrolling there
- Art quote of the day by Oscar Wilde: “God and other artists are always a little obscure”
- The body check: What dry, cracked heels can say about diabetes, thyroid, and health
- Indian gardeners are using old buckets, paint cans, and rice bags to grow food
- Thought of the day inspired by the Bhagavad Gita: "Sometimes surrender is greater than control."
- They never smoked, but they got mouth cancer: What doctors want young people to know now
Videos
06:03 ‘Ken Griffin Isn’t A Villain’: Jeff Bezos Torches Mamdani Over Luxury Tax Stunt | WATCH08:46 Hezbollah Claims Direct Hits On Israeli Troops, Obliterates Merkava Tank In Precision Strike09:14 US Build-Up In Israel For War 2.0? Refueling Aircraft Deployed; Trump Says Tension On 'Borderline'10:21 ‘Game Over After This’: Trump Issues Final Ultimatum To Iran As Tensions Hit Boiling Point | On Cam12:23 'Cuba Is Struggling': Trump Hints At US Military Campaign; 'Will Help' Declaration Shocks Havana09:17 'Netanyahu's Hair On Fire': Trump Clashes With Israeli PM Over Expected Iran Deal | Inside Details12:48 ON CAM: Xi Gives Putin ‘Special Tour,’ Unveils Giant Portraits After Trump Snub12:18 On Cam: Iranian Drone Bombards UAE-Linked Ship In Hormuz; Video Captures Moment Of IRGC Attack12:06 US House Hearing Goes Off the Rails! Furious Clash Forces Chairman to Step In
Up Next
Follow Us On Social Media