Formula 1: Honda F1 staff changes noticed late by Aston Martin, reveals Adrian Newey
Aston Martin F1 Team team principal Adrian Newey has revealed that the team was caught off guard by the extent of changes within its engine partner Honda as preparations continue for the new Formula 1 regulations in 2026, AP reported.
Speaking on Friday, Newey said Aston Martin only realised late last year that Honda had retained a small portion of the staff that previously helped deliver championship-winning power units. According to him, only around 30 per cent of the original workforce remained involved when the Japanese manufacturer returned to the project, which has made the process of getting up to speed more challenging.
The comments come just a day after Newey admitted that Aston Martin could struggle to finish the season-opening race at the Australian Grand Prix without drivers risking serious discomfort due to vibrations in the car.
Honda had originally exited Formula 1 at the end of 2021 after completing a successful partnership with Red Bull Racing. The move also led Red Bull to create its own power unit division. Although Honda later agreed to continue building and servicing engines for Red Bull until the end of 2025, its return to Formula 1 as a works partner with Aston Martin came in a very different structure.
Newey explained that much of the original engineering group had moved on during the period when Honda stepped away from the sport.
“When they reformed, a lot of the original group had - it now transpires - disbanded, and had gone to work on solar panels, or whatever,” Newey said.
“A lot of the group that reformed are actually fresh to Formula 1. They didn't bring the (championship-winning) experience that they had previously. Plus, when they came back in 2023, that was the first year of the budget cap introduction for engines.”
“We only really became aware of it, kind of November of last year when we - Lawrence (Stroll), Andy Cowell and myself went to Tokyo to discuss rumors starting to suggest that their original target power, they wouldn't achieve for race one,” Newey said.
The team’s difficulties were also evident during Friday’s opening practice session in Australia. Lance Stroll completed just three laps before a power unit issue forced him to stop running. He ended the session 21st and last on the timesheet, finishing 30 seconds off the pace.
Meanwhile, his teammate Fernando Alonso did not participate in the session at all after a suspected power unit-related problem was discovered on his car before the opening one-hour run. Inputs from AP.
Israel Iran War
- US-Israel-Iran War News Live Updates: Iran says it targeted Israeli military intelligence & naval base; fresh explosions heard in Dubai
- 'Legitimate targets': Iran issues warning to US tech firms including Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Nvidia
- Middle East war enters day 12 as US, Israel unleash 'heaviest strikes' on Iran as Tehran rules out ceasefire
The comments come just a day after Newey admitted that Aston Martin could struggle to finish the season-opening race at the Australian Grand Prix without drivers risking serious discomfort due to vibrations in the car.
Honda had originally exited Formula 1 at the end of 2021 after completing a successful partnership with Red Bull Racing. The move also led Red Bull to create its own power unit division. Although Honda later agreed to continue building and servicing engines for Red Bull until the end of 2025, its return to Formula 1 as a works partner with Aston Martin came in a very different structure.
Newey explained that much of the original engineering group had moved on during the period when Honda stepped away from the sport.
“A lot of the group that reformed are actually fresh to Formula 1. They didn't bring the (championship-winning) experience that they had previously. Plus, when they came back in 2023, that was the first year of the budget cap introduction for engines.”
“We only really became aware of it, kind of November of last year when we - Lawrence (Stroll), Andy Cowell and myself went to Tokyo to discuss rumors starting to suggest that their original target power, they wouldn't achieve for race one,” Newey said.
Meanwhile, his teammate Fernando Alonso did not participate in the session at all after a suspected power unit-related problem was discovered on his car before the opening one-hour run. Inputs from AP.
Popular from Auto
- Mumbai woman’s Uber ride cancelled after driver details mismatch: Here’s how riders can stay safe and avoid scams
- Hyundai Verna facelift vs Old Verna: Features, specs, key changes explained
- A look at Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah’s $4 billion car collection: from rare Rolls-Royces to iconic supercars and one-of-a-kind F1 machines
- Dubai crown prince Hamdan’s car collection: Bugatti, Ferrari, Koenigsegg and McLaren hypercars and rare performance models
- Inside Hardik Pandya’s luxurious car collection: 5 cars that define his style
end of article
Trending Stories
- US-Israel-Iran War News Live Updates: UAE embassy in Iraq attacked, Hezbollah drones target Israel
- IPL 2026 schedule announcement Live updates: BCCI to announce fixtures for first 20 days
03:36 'Historic $300 billion deal': Trump announces Reliance investment to build first new US oil refinery in 50 years- Why Shivam Dube had to travel by train after India's T20 World Cup glory
- US-Iran war: As Hormuz chokes, Saudi and UAE pipelines keep Gulf oil flowing
06:21 Iran war oil shock: India buys 30 million barrels of Russian crude after US waiver- NCERT corruption chapter row: SC asks to disassociate professors from work paid by public funds
Featured in Auto
- Car AC not cooling properly? Common reasons and easy fixes
- Indian cricketer Ishan Kishan’s stunning car collection: From a powerful Mustang to a luxury Mercedes and Audi Q7
- Renault Bridger unveiled: New Maruti Brezza, Hyundai Venue rival!
- Hyundai Verna facelift vs Old Verna: Features, specs, key changes explained
- Mercedes-Benz CLA electric bookings open: Five top things to know
- Ola launches T20 Champions Edition S1 Pro+ & Roadster X+ EVs: What's special
Photostories
- 7 birds that use Earth's magnetic field to travel the globe
- Silent bone loss can begin after 30 in women: Doctors explain why it happens and the simple steps that can help keep bones strong
- Dipika Kakar gets emotional over upcoming blood tests amid cyst removal surgery; says, ‘Abhi ek darr baith gaya hai’
- 8 ancient food preservation methods that are still practiced
- 4 meditation challenges to build your focus
- How does the home of Pope Leo XIV , the Apostolic Palace look from inside
- 8 coolest places in India for that perfect summer vacation
- Indian cricketer Ishan Kishan’s stunning car collection: From a powerful Mustang to a luxury Mercedes and Audi Q7
- Meet the cast of 'Project Hail Mary': From Ryan Gosling to Sandra Hüller, and more
- Why some people brush their rotis with water before eating?
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment