Bomb scare near PM convoy route? Gelatin sticks with batteries and circuit trigger massive probe in Bengaluru
BENGALURU: Police have intensified their investigation into the recovery of gelatin sticks and electronic components near the convoy route of Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his visit to the Art of Living Foundation on Sunday, with central agencies also stepping into the probe.
According to police, a taped carton box recovered near Kuppareddy Kere contained two gelatin sticks, batteries, an electric circuit, a matchbox and a camphor box.
Officials of the National Investigation Agency (NIA) and Intelligence Bureau (IB) have sought details from Bengaluru South district police and visited the spot on Monday.
DIG (Central) S Girish said multiple teams were investigating how the suspicious package ended up near the compound wall of a private property. Bengaluru South SP R Srinivas Gowda confirmed that no arrests had been made so far.
The box was found about 25 feet from the main road and nearly 2 km from the Art of Living campus along National Highway-948. A police constable deployed on special security duty spotted the package around 9.45am and alerted senior officers, following which an anti-sabotage squad seized the materials.
Kaggalipura police registered a case under the Explosives Act, and four special teams led by a deputy superintendent of police have been formed to investigate the incident.
Investigators are scanning CCTV footage from roads leading to the spot, including entry and exit points, as there were no surveillance cameras installed near the location where the box was found. Police said more than 50 CCTV feeds had been examined till Monday evening.
Officials suspect the package may have been planted to trigger panic rather than carry out an explosion. “The presence of a matchbox and camphor box suggests an attempt to create fear. If the intention was to dump explosives, the box would not have been packed and taped in this manner,” a senior officer said.
Police also maintained that there was no immediate possibility of an explosion as no detonator was recovered from the spot. Investigators are additionally examining whether the act could be linked to individuals holding grievances against the Art of Living Foundation.
Meanwhile, Koramangala police have taken a 42-year-old man, identified as Lohith alias Lohith Krishnappa, into custody for allegedly making a hoax threat call hours before the PM’s visit.
Police said Lohith, a resident of Koramangala 8th Block, allegedly called around 7.30am on Sunday claiming that blasts would be carried out at HAL airport and the Art of Living campus. Officers said he appeared mentally disturbed and had previously undergone rehabilitation treatment. “He has no history of making hoax calls earlier,” an officer said, adding that police inspected his residence on Monday.
The incident also triggered a political row, with Union minister of state Shobha Karandlaje demanding an NIA probe and accusing the Congress government in Karnataka of serious security lapses.
Questioning the timing of recent police transfers ahead of the PM’s visit, Karandlaje said the state government must explain why over 100 inspectors and other officials were shifted despite the high-security event. “The question is whether the Karnataka government is concerned about the Prime Minister’s security,” she told reporters.
DIG (Central) S Girish said multiple teams were investigating how the suspicious package ended up near the compound wall of a private property. Bengaluru South SP R Srinivas Gowda confirmed that no arrests had been made so far.
The box was found about 25 feet from the main road and nearly 2 km from the Art of Living campus along National Highway-948. A police constable deployed on special security duty spotted the package around 9.45am and alerted senior officers, following which an anti-sabotage squad seized the materials.
Investigators are scanning CCTV footage from roads leading to the spot, including entry and exit points, as there were no surveillance cameras installed near the location where the box was found. Police said more than 50 CCTV feeds had been examined till Monday evening.
Officials suspect the package may have been planted to trigger panic rather than carry out an explosion. “The presence of a matchbox and camphor box suggests an attempt to create fear. If the intention was to dump explosives, the box would not have been packed and taped in this manner,” a senior officer said.
Meanwhile, Koramangala police have taken a 42-year-old man, identified as Lohith alias Lohith Krishnappa, into custody for allegedly making a hoax threat call hours before the PM’s visit.
Police said Lohith, a resident of Koramangala 8th Block, allegedly called around 7.30am on Sunday claiming that blasts would be carried out at HAL airport and the Art of Living campus. Officers said he appeared mentally disturbed and had previously undergone rehabilitation treatment. “He has no history of making hoax calls earlier,” an officer said, adding that police inspected his residence on Monday.
Questioning the timing of recent police transfers ahead of the PM’s visit, Karandlaje said the state government must explain why over 100 inspectors and other officials were shifted despite the high-security event. “The question is whether the Karnataka government is concerned about the Prime Minister’s security,” she told reporters.
You Can Also Check: Gold Rate in Bengaluru | Silver Rate in Bengaluru | Bank Holidays in Bengaluru | Public Holidays in Bengaluru | Bengaluru AQI | Weather in Bengaluru
Top Comment
K
Kiran Kanoria
9 hours ago
This stunt can be for fishing sympathy. They can do anything to gain sympathy. People have seen fake ambulance stunts also.Read allPost comment
end of article
In Bengaluru
- K’taka greenlights 12.5% pay hike for state transport staff
- Bengaluru shocker: Man dies after e-scooter battery explodes while charging at home
- Debris, piled-up soil led to Bowring Hospital wall collapse: Probe
- Gelatin box on PM’s route had batteries, wires too: Probe
- Mango Mela returns to Bengaluru amid hopes of a price drop
- NEET mess: Shocked Bengaluru students dread retest, mull switch to engineering, CUET
- Three caught trying to sell antler in Bengaluru
Featured In City
- PMC begins dredging of Bhairoba nullah to prevent monsoon flooding in Wanowrie & Pune Cantt
- IMD issues heatwave alert for Maharashtra; hot days & sultry nights grip Pune
- Temperatures soar across Maharashtra, but heatstroke cases down to 175 after revision; deaths 6
- CS Agarwal promises transparent, graft-free administration
- State board announces supplementary exams from June 16
- Not a single divisive comment, PM Modi told me on the day of poll result: Samik
- Maha survey identifies 54L single women for policy, figure may rise to 75L
Photostories
- Throwback to Aishwarya Rai Bachchan’s Cannes saree looks that outslayed every gown on the red carpet
- Walking 10,000 steps every day? Orthopedic doctors reveal when this popular fitness goal may secretly damage your knees and joints
- Morning affirmation at 5 AM: Fuel your mind with positivity early
- Alia Bhatt adds a desi twist to Cannes 2026 with a custom dupatta on her breathtaking coral gown
- Why you feel constantly drained: 10 signs your soul needs healing
- 9 facts about snow leopards that explain why they are called the ‘ghosts of the mountains’
- 5 Cannes Film Festival 2026 fashion rules celebrities can’t afford to ignore
- Kim Kardashian and Pete Davidson: Inside the high-profile romance and break-up
- 5 mistakes you’re making if Chikmagalur isn’t in your summer itinerary
- Traditional Indian home features that deserve a comeback in modern living
Videos
03:00 Rahul Gandhi Submits Dissent Note On CBI Chief Selection After Key Meet At PM Modi's Residence03:07 ‘India Should Not Close Doors For Dialogue With Pakistan’: RSS General Secretary Hosabale03:02 Vijay Appoints Astrologer As OSD In Tamil Nadu Govt, TVK Allies Call It 'Unacceptable'03:04 Kerala CM Race Heats Up, KC Venugopal Emerges Frontrunner As Rahul Gandhi Holds Key09:44 NEET-UG 2026 Cancelled: NTA Confirms WhatsApp Leak, Announces Refunds & CBI Probe03:18 Vijay Meets AIADMK Rebels As EPS Faces Internal Revolt Before Key Assembly Vote09:21 India Has 60 Days Of Crude Oil LNG; 45 Days Of LPG; Oil Firms Losing ₹1,000 Cr A Day: Hardeep Puri05:22 NEET-UG 2026 Cancelled After Leak Verified; NTA Promises Fair Re-Exam For Students | Watch06:30 MEA Slams China Over Pakistan Support, Says Shielding Terror Hurts Reputation | Watch
Hot Picks
Top Trends
Up Next