'Baba Siddiqui’s fate will befall you': Businessman receives death threat from ‘Lawrence Bishnoi gang’
BHOPAL: In a disturbing development, a businessman from Bhopal's Kolar area allegedly received a death threat from the dreaded Lawrence Bishnoi gang for refusing to pay an extortion amount of Rs 10 crore.
According to the police, the caller, claiming to be Hari Boxer, a notorious member of the Bishnoi gang, which is known to operate across the country and beyond, threatened the businessman, purportedly saying, "Arrange the money, otherwise my men will come and finish you. The same fate that befell Baba Siddiqui will be yours as well."
Acting on the trader's complaint, Kolar police on Friday registered a case against the caller on the basis of the mobile number and an investigation was launched.
Notably, in recent days, businessmen in Indore, Khargone, and Ashok Nagar have also received similar threats in the name of the Lawrence gang. This is the first such case reported in Bhopal. Along with local police, a cyber team was also deployed to trace the mobile number and identify the accused. The businessman, meanwhile, expressed concern over his personal safety requesting immediate police protection.
Police said the caller threatened to kill him if the money wasn't paid. Initially, the businessman ignored the threat, but after receiving repeated calls and messages, he approached Kolar police station and lodged a complaint.
According to information, the 42-year-old complainant is into multiple businesses, including jewellery, and is also associated with philanthropic work.
A few days ago, on March 18, around 10.30 pm, he received a WhatsApp call from an international number. The caller introduced himself as Harry Boxer from the Lawrence Bishnoi gang and told the businessman that since he makes substantial money from the gold trade, he should arrange and pay an extortion amount of Rs 10 crore. The businessman hung up, ignoring the threat, and continued with his work. However, on Friday morning, he received multiple calls from the same number demanding money. When he refused to pay, the caller allegedly threatened to kill him.
Threatening audio messages sent
After receiving threats, the businessman approached the Kolar police and lodged a complaint, while also requesting security cover citing threat to life. He informed the sleuths that he had been receiving continuous audio messages of a threatening kind on his mobile phone. Based on the complaint, police registered a case of criminal intimidation against the holder of the mobile number from which the calls were made.
According to reports, all the numbers used to contact the businessman were international. Along with Kolar police, the cyber police team is also involved in the ongoing probe, it was learnt.
Speaking to TOI, ACP Alok Shrivastava said police have registered a case and are searching for the unidentified accused on the basis of the mobile number.
Israel Iran War
- US-Israel-Iran War News Live Updates: Israel pounds Tehran as Iranians mark Nowruz; UAE, Kuwait defences respond to missile barrage
- Over 20 nations issue joint statement condemning Iran's de facto closure of Hormuz Strait
- Missiles Fired Toward Diego Garcia: Iran tests long-range weapons; US rushes Marines and warships
Acting on the trader's complaint, Kolar police on Friday registered a case against the caller on the basis of the mobile number and an investigation was launched.
Notably, in recent days, businessmen in Indore, Khargone, and Ashok Nagar have also received similar threats in the name of the Lawrence gang. This is the first such case reported in Bhopal. Along with local police, a cyber team was also deployed to trace the mobile number and identify the accused. The businessman, meanwhile, expressed concern over his personal safety requesting immediate police protection.
Police said the caller threatened to kill him if the money wasn't paid. Initially, the businessman ignored the threat, but after receiving repeated calls and messages, he approached Kolar police station and lodged a complaint.
According to information, the 42-year-old complainant is into multiple businesses, including jewellery, and is also associated with philanthropic work.
Threatening audio messages sent
After receiving threats, the businessman approached the Kolar police and lodged a complaint, while also requesting security cover citing threat to life. He informed the sleuths that he had been receiving continuous audio messages of a threatening kind on his mobile phone. Based on the complaint, police registered a case of criminal intimidation against the holder of the mobile number from which the calls were made.
According to reports, all the numbers used to contact the businessman were international. Along with Kolar police, the cyber police team is also involved in the ongoing probe, it was learnt.
Speaking to TOI, ACP Alok Shrivastava said police have registered a case and are searching for the unidentified accused on the basis of the mobile number.
Popular from City
- IMD issues thunderstorm alerts across India; heavy rain, hailstorms strong winds likely in multiple states
- Chennai soars above gridlock: Mega flyover surge set to rewrite city commute
- Bengaluru man beaten to death with cricket bat in front of children for refusing to pay hafta; 7 held
- 12 bullets in 20 seconds: Chandigarh realtor murdered after extortion threats; CCTV reveals chilling details
- Ace rally driver missing, Raymond MD Gautam Singhania injured in Maldives speedboat crash
end of article
Trending Stories
- US-Israel-Iran War News Live Updates: Israel pounds Tehran as Iranians mark Nowruz; UAE, Kuwait defences respond to missile barrage
- 'Wasn't easy': Anaya reveals father Sanjay Bangar's role after gender-affirming surgery
- Kick streamer Clavicular faces viral moment after woman slaps him live during stream and police get involved
- Orange Alert For Eastern States: IMD warns of severe storms, heavy rain; hot, humid south persists
- The door India left ajar: Economic ties with China see a calibrated reset with easing of FDI rules - explained
- Missiles Fired Toward Diego Garcia: Iran tests long-range weapons; US rushes Marines and warships
- Centre raises LPG allocation to 50% of pre-crisis level, prioritises food and hospitality sectors
Featured in city
- Chennai Flyover Drive: New corridors ease daily commutes; experts flag safety, planning
- Botanical Garden will stay shut for 2 more years for revamp
- Techie, mother die by suicide after groom cancels wedding over ‘secretly recorded’ videos
- IMD issues thunderstorm alerts across India; heavy rain, hailstorms strong winds likely in multiple states
- Spy cam in Rajkot clinic: Homeopath, 12 others booked for blackmail; 4,000 hidden clips recorded
- Indian army’s Fulcrum Brigade showcases combat readiness in Rajasthan desert drills at Bikaner Mahajan range
Photostories
- Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah: From Dilip Joshi, Munmun Dutta to Disha Vakani; a look at the Educational Qualifications of the Cast
- 7 traditional Indian drinks that are reasonably good source of protein
- 6 mistakes people make while kneading atta and why the rotis don’t turn out right
- 8 things that make you a typical Delhiite
- 8 ways to rewire your brain and enter a higher dimension
- 5 crucial marriage lessons to learn from Justin Bieber and Hailey
- Why your body twitches, tingles, or has mini spasms: Hidden causes and proven ways to calm your nervous system
- 7 mistakes that make dal lose its protein value
- From Kotpad Tussar to Ghicha Silk: Kangana Ranaut serves ultimate saree goals
- 14 scientific facts you probably didn't know
Videos
03:04 "Claims Are Baseless" Says Former Envoy Sanjay Verma On Trudeau’s Allegations08:17 Rahul Gandhi Warns Of Inflation Wave Amid Rupee Fall, Slams Modi Govt Over Strategy08:23 Village Playgrounds To Mega Stadiums: Yogi Adityanath Outlines UP Sports Vision08:00 India Weighs Return To Iranian Crude As US Grants Short Waiver During Oil Supply Disruption- Tamil Nadu Elections 2026: Chidambaram Targets AIADMK-BJP Alliance, EPS’s Delhi Visits Trigger Row
04:41 INS Taragiri To Commission by April 2026, Fourth Project 17A Stealth Frigate to Join In 11 Months04:41 INS Taragiri To Commission by April 2026, Fourth Project 17A Stealth Frigate to Join In 11 Months03:07 Handmade Rumani Semiya & Sheer Kurma | Ramzan Tradition from Chennai04:56 HAL Reports Tejas Mk-1A, Prachand, Dhruv Orders Worth ₹2.22 Lakh Crore To Parliamentary Committee
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment