Kanakagiri utsav postponed at the last minute
Koppal: The Kanakagiri Utsav, scheduled to be held on May 16 and 17 at the historic Kanakachalapthi temple site, was abruptly postponed on Tuesday night despite elaborate preparations by the district administration.
DC Suresh B Ittnal, ADC Sidrameshwar and SP Ram L Arasiddi, along with other officials, had been overseeing arrangements for the past several days. On Tuesday evening, the DC also addressed a press conference detailing the itinerary for the event.
However, sources said that district minister Shivaraj Tangadagi orally instructed the DC around 9pm, on Tuesday, to postpone the event. Chief minister Siddaramaiah, who was expected to inaugurate the utsav, has reportedly given June 10 as his available date, prompting the sudden decision to defer the utsav.
The move left officials in a difficult position. For the first time, a drone show had been planned as part of the celebrations, and a Mumbai-based team had already arrived, and begun rehearsals. The district administration had already spent lakhs of rupees printing invitations for the utsav, many of which are now likely to go waste.
Officials, including the DC, were scheduled to leave for Bengaluru on Wednesday to invite chief minister Siddaramaiah, deputy chief minister DK Shivakumar, other public representatives and senior government officials. District police chief and Kanakagiri officials were at the venue preparing security arrangements, even on Tuesday.
The postponement has disappointed residents and organisers alike. Though authorities are indicating that the event may be held in June, concerns remain, as the monsoon season is expected to begin by then.
However, sources said that district minister Shivaraj Tangadagi orally instructed the DC around 9pm, on Tuesday, to postpone the event. Chief minister Siddaramaiah, who was expected to inaugurate the utsav, has reportedly given June 10 as his available date, prompting the sudden decision to defer the utsav.
The move left officials in a difficult position. For the first time, a drone show had been planned as part of the celebrations, and a Mumbai-based team had already arrived, and begun rehearsals. The district administration had already spent lakhs of rupees printing invitations for the utsav, many of which are now likely to go waste.
Officials, including the DC, were scheduled to leave for Bengaluru on Wednesday to invite chief minister Siddaramaiah, deputy chief minister DK Shivakumar, other public representatives and senior government officials. District police chief and Kanakagiri officials were at the venue preparing security arrangements, even on Tuesday.
The postponement has disappointed residents and organisers alike. Though authorities are indicating that the event may be held in June, concerns remain, as the monsoon season is expected to begin by then.
end of article
In Hubballi
- Belagavi border row: Kannada groups to intensify protest
- EO office details verification of Anjanadri gold offerings
- Pocso case lodged against Vachanananda Swami
- Kanakagiri utsav postponed at the last minute
- Civic body’s hesitation to declare ‘Belagavi integral part of karnataka’ sparks row
- New weekly train services to boost connectivity between Telangana, K’taka
- NEET paper leak: Youth Cong demand minister’s resignation
Featured In City
- City gets lion’s share in Vijay Sarkar
- Delhi faces sudden storms, flight delays
- Massive snarls near Ghazipur border due to NH-9 repair work
- Karnataka govt offers 100-day window to 1 lakh properties in Bengaluru for regularisation, slashes fee by half
- Bengaluru woman 1st Indian to complete Asia Trail Master Grandmaster Quest
- CBI opposes discharge plea in PNB fraud case
- Union Ministry of Environment, Forests & Climate Change asks Maharashtra government to examine complaints regarding Versova-Bhayander Coastal Road and take necessary action
Photostories
- Stop throwing away mango peel: 6 delicious ways to use them in your kitchen
- 5 weird things people do in love and why, as per psychology
- Why these 5 vegetable DIY remedies are harmful for your skin
- 8 Indian states where women can travel free on government buses; West Bengal becomes the latest to join the list
- 5 deadliest insects on the planet: Small creatures with a massive global impact
- The silent vitamin deficiency experts say could increase your cancer risk over time
- Common snakes found in Florida and how to keep them away from home and garden
- The hygiene myths experts are trying to break
- 5 summer morning drinks that beat hunger and keep you energized for longer
- Late nights, high stress, rising BP: Why poor sleep is becoming India’s new urban health emergency
Videos
05:02 Ex-Army Chief Naravane Backs People-To-People Ties To Improve India Pak Relations03:14 Air India Cuts 29 International Routes As West Asia War Drives Up Fuel Costs And Disruptions05:29 Vijay Reverses Astrologer Appointment; PM Modi Orders Nearly 50% Convoy | Headlines@905:51 EPS Removes Rebel Leaders Backing Vijay Government As AIADMK Internal Crisis Deepens03:53 Postmortem Reveals Massive Blood Clot In Lungs Caused Prateek Yadav’s Death | Watch03:01 Himanta Biswa Sarma Announces UCC Bill For Assam As State Moves Towards Uniform Civil Law03:43 NEET UG 2026 Cancellation Sparks Rajasthan Political Storm As BJP And Congress Clash Over Leak03:18 Posters Against Rahul Gandhi Surface As KC Venugopal Emerges Frontrunner For Kerala CM05:39 Suvendu Adhikari Chooses Bhabanipur Over Nandigram, Sparks Fresh Political Battle In Bengal
Hot Picks
Top Trends
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment