Indore tragedy: Lab report confirms bacterial 'contamination' in drinking water behind 4 diarrhoea deaths
INDORE: Laboratory tests have confirmed that the diarrhoea outbreak in Indore, which has so far claimed at least four lives and sickened more than 1,400 people, was caused by contaminated drinking water, officials said.
Indore’s Chief Medical and Health Officer (CMHO) Dr Madhav Prasad Hasani said a report prepared by a city-based medical college found that water samples collected from Bhagirathpura were contaminated due to a leak in a main supply pipeline. The area has emerged as the epicentre of the outbreak.
District collector Shivam Verma said the initial laboratory report confirmed contamination in the water samples, though officials were yet to identify the specific bacteria responsible.
State minister Kailash Vijayvargiya said preliminary indications suggested that sewage water had mixed with the drinking water supply near a police check post. “We are already treating the water. A detailed microbiological examination will take eight to ten days,” he said.
Residents of Bhagirathpura began reporting to hospitals across the city from Monday onwards, complaining of vomiting, diarrhoea and high fever. Officials said the contamination occurred after sewage water from a toilet constructed at a local police check post seeped into the drinking water line.
Additional chief secretary Sanjay Dubey, who oversees the urban development department, said nine deaths had been reported from the area so far. “Based on post-mortem findings, only four deaths can currently be linked directly to contaminated water,” he said.
Dubey held meetings with senior officials in Indore to review the situation and finalise relief measures. “Guidelines have been worked out to ensure funds are made available and treatment costs for patients are covered,” he said. Chief Minister Mohan Yadav has announced compensation of Rs 2 lakh each for the families of those who died.
Health department officials said door-to-door surveys were conducted in 1,714 households on Thursday, during which 8,571 people were examined. Of these, 338 individuals with mild symptoms were provided treatment at their homes.
Bhagirathpura, meanwhile, remains largely deserted. With more than 200 residents admitted to 27 hospitals across Indore, most families have been away attending to sick relatives. Since the outbreak began earlier this week, nine people have died.
Municipal officials said the crisis was triggered when waste water from a pit connected to a toilet at the police outpost leaked into the main water pipeline running beneath it. The contractor allegedly routed the toilet’s waste into a pit instead of constructing a septic tank and linking it to the sewage network.
Officials said a leak was detected in the main water pipeline near the police outpost, leading to contamination of the supply in surrounding areas. “We are examining the entire pipeline to check for additional leaks,” Dubey said.
After repairs and inspection, clean water was restored through the pipeline on Thursday. However, residents have been advised to boil water before consumption as a precaution. Fresh samples have also been sent for testing.
The state government is now planning to issue a standard operating procedure for drinking water infrastructure across Madhya Pradesh to prevent similar incidents in the future.
According to officials, 272 patients have been admitted to hospitals since the outbreak began eight days ago. Of them, 71 have been discharged. At present, 201 patients remain hospitalised, including 32 in intensive care units.
(With agency inputs)
District collector Shivam Verma said the initial laboratory report confirmed contamination in the water samples, though officials were yet to identify the specific bacteria responsible.
State minister Kailash Vijayvargiya said preliminary indications suggested that sewage water had mixed with the drinking water supply near a police check post. “We are already treating the water. A detailed microbiological examination will take eight to ten days,” he said.
Residents of Bhagirathpura began reporting to hospitals across the city from Monday onwards, complaining of vomiting, diarrhoea and high fever. Officials said the contamination occurred after sewage water from a toilet constructed at a local police check post seeped into the drinking water line.
Additional chief secretary Sanjay Dubey, who oversees the urban development department, said nine deaths had been reported from the area so far. “Based on post-mortem findings, only four deaths can currently be linked directly to contaminated water,” he said.
Health department officials said door-to-door surveys were conducted in 1,714 households on Thursday, during which 8,571 people were examined. Of these, 338 individuals with mild symptoms were provided treatment at their homes.
Bhagirathpura, meanwhile, remains largely deserted. With more than 200 residents admitted to 27 hospitals across Indore, most families have been away attending to sick relatives. Since the outbreak began earlier this week, nine people have died.
Municipal officials said the crisis was triggered when waste water from a pit connected to a toilet at the police outpost leaked into the main water pipeline running beneath it. The contractor allegedly routed the toilet’s waste into a pit instead of constructing a septic tank and linking it to the sewage network.
Officials said a leak was detected in the main water pipeline near the police outpost, leading to contamination of the supply in surrounding areas. “We are examining the entire pipeline to check for additional leaks,” Dubey said.
After repairs and inspection, clean water was restored through the pipeline on Thursday. However, residents have been advised to boil water before consumption as a precaution. Fresh samples have also been sent for testing.
The state government is now planning to issue a standard operating procedure for drinking water infrastructure across Madhya Pradesh to prevent similar incidents in the future.
According to officials, 272 patients have been admitted to hospitals since the outbreak began eight days ago. Of them, 71 have been discharged. At present, 201 patients remain hospitalised, including 32 in intensive care units.
(With agency inputs)
Top Comment
M
Munshi
2 hours ago
On getting initial reports of a mass tragedy, Modi government freezes count of deaths to be reported by media. Keeping in view the political implications, the death count - once frozen - is diligently controlled.Read allPost comment
Popular from City
- ‘Order to vacate house sparked bloodshed’: Sons hire hitmen to murder ex-IAF officer; shot in head in chilling attack
- Record-breaking: IIT-Hyderabad student lands Rs 2.5 crore package; highest in institute’s history
- Officials on alert, residents on edge over leopard on the prowl
- 'We're thinking of you': New York mayor Zohran Mamdani writes to Delhi riots accused Umar Khalid
- Wayanad tragedy worsens: Man found dead in Israel, wife dies after consuming poison; 10-year-old daughter orphaned
end of article
Trending Stories
- “What a monster!”: Fans react to Kawhi Leonard’s 4th quarter pure domination against Utah Jazz
08:33 'India has right to defend': Jaishankar hits out at 'bad neighbours' — what he said on neighbourhood policy- Carlos Mendoza and Francis Mendoza combined net worth: Mets manager earnings, salary, and lifestyle
- Indore water contamination row: 10 dead, over 1,000 affected; reports flag 'presence of bacteria' - key findings
- Josh Allen injury update: Will the Buffalo Bills QB’s foot issue keep him out of Week 18 at Highmark Stadium?
- Who is Edward Nathan Varghese, the IIT Hyderabad student who landed a Rs 2.5 crore offer?
- Gold price prediction: What's the gold outlook for January 2, 2025? Why Rs 1,36,000 is an important level
Featured in city
- Trapped in flames, no way out: Telangana student dies in Germany after jumping from burning apartment on New Year’s Eve
- NIA chargesheets 3 more accused in 2023 Bengaluru prison radicalisation case linked to LeT
- Kashmir landslide horror: Massive rocks crash onto NH-1 near Baramulla; video shows motorists running for cover
- New year brings no relief from sewer mess in Greater Noida
- 'Testing time for CM Mohan Yadav': Uma Bharti slams Madhya Pradesh govt over Indore deaths
- Age 70, excuses 0: PM Narendra Modi showers praise as Karnataka MLA Suresh Kumar completes epic 700-km Bengaluru–Kanyakumari bicycle ride
Photostories
- Lessons from centenarians: What the world’s longest-living people eat
- ‘Shark Tank India Season 5’: FULL LIST of judges, their net worth, and the brands they own
- Kylie Jenner-Timothée Chalamet to complete 3 years of dating in 2026: 3 relationship lessons to learn from them
- How to make Dhaba-style Dal Makhani at home
- Attract True Love During the January 2026 Full Moon; According To Birth Number
- 10 oldest trees in the world that are still living and where can they be found
- Best mushroom varieties for vitamin D and how to cook them
- Blue Turmeric: What makes it different and its lesser-known benefits
- Which Numbers Will Be Lucky for You in 2026? Find Out by Birth Number
- Health alert: 5 warning signs on nails you should not ignore
Videos
06:44 'Their Islamist Ideas...': Ex-Bangladesh Minister Hits Out Over Attacks on Hindus And Christians06:12 'Very Petty & Shameful': Shashi Tharoor On Row Over KKR Selecting Bangladeshi Player In IPL04:30 INLD President Calls For Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal Type Uprising In India Politics, Triggers Row06:58 BJP Claims Rahul Gandhi Ties To ‘Anti-India’ Panel Over US Lawmakers' Umar Khalid Letter04:36 Not All Are Illiterate: Rajnath Singh Cites Red Fort Blast, Flags Educated, White Collar Terrorists06:03 'Arunachal Pradesh Is And Will Always Be...' Jaishankar Warns China, Blasts Harassment Of Indians05:19 Bullet Train Gets August 15, 2027 India Launch Date, Minister Shares Details On Tunnel Breakthrough06:53 Cleanest City Hit By Water Contamination As Lab Links Indore Diarrhoea Outbreak To Pipeline Leak05:03 US Lawmaker Raja Krishnamoorthi Condemns Violence Against Hindus In Bangladesh Urges Global Action Up
Up Next