No Friday namaz at Bhojshala for first time in 23 years, Dhar turns into fortress
INDORE/MHOW: For the first time in 23 years, namaz will not be offered at Bhojshala in MP’s Dhar this Friday following a high court order on May 15 that declared the centuries-old monument a Saraswati temple and centre of Sanskrit learning, effectively ending the long-standing arrangement that had divided the site for worship between two communities. Amid a strong undercurrent of tension, the administration is leaving nothing to chance, and heavy security has been deployed across the city.
The arrangement dated back to a 2003 Archaeological Survey of India order, which allotted Tuesdays to Hindus for prayers and Fridays to Muslims for namaz, at the complex. The HC struck down that order, while directing govt to consider applications, if any, for allotting suitable land elsewhere for the construction of a mosque.
Hindu organisations have been celebrating the ruling for nearly a week and plan to mark this Friday with significant fanfare. Bhoj Utsav Samiti convenor Ashok Jain announced that a Maha Aarti would be performed at the complex on Friday. “Devotees will assemble at Dhanmandi Chowk and proceed in a peaceful procession to the temple, where traditional rituals and a grand aarti will be performed,” he said.
With communal tensions simmering, Dhar district collector Rajiv Ranjan Meena Wednesday called a peace meeting and issued a firm advisory. “The high court directives will be followed in totality. Any activity not in accordance with those directives — including unauthorised religious events — will be treated as unlawful, and action will be taken against those responsible,” he said. He also warned residents to refrain from posting inflammatory content on social media, stating that such activity was being actively monitored.
SP Sachin Sharma said adequate police personnel had been deployed throughout Dhar, with particular focus on the Bhojshala complex and surrounding sensitive areas.
Meanwhile, Hindu Front for Justice — one of the original petitioners in the case — has filed an application with ASI seeking free entry for devotees at Bhojshala. Its district president Ashish Goyal argued that collecting even the existing Re 1 entry fee constituted “disobedience” of HC order.
Hindu organisations have been celebrating the ruling for nearly a week and plan to mark this Friday with significant fanfare. Bhoj Utsav Samiti convenor Ashok Jain announced that a Maha Aarti would be performed at the complex on Friday. “Devotees will assemble at Dhanmandi Chowk and proceed in a peaceful procession to the temple, where traditional rituals and a grand aarti will be performed,” he said.
With communal tensions simmering, Dhar district collector Rajiv Ranjan Meena Wednesday called a peace meeting and issued a firm advisory. “The high court directives will be followed in totality. Any activity not in accordance with those directives — including unauthorised religious events — will be treated as unlawful, and action will be taken against those responsible,” he said. He also warned residents to refrain from posting inflammatory content on social media, stating that such activity was being actively monitored.
SP Sachin Sharma said adequate police personnel had been deployed throughout Dhar, with particular focus on the Bhojshala complex and surrounding sensitive areas.
Meanwhile, Hindu Front for Justice — one of the original petitioners in the case — has filed an application with ASI seeking free entry for devotees at Bhojshala. Its district president Ashish Goyal argued that collecting even the existing Re 1 entry fee constituted “disobedience” of HC order.
Comments
Be the first to share a thought and become theFirst Voiceof this News Article
end of article
In Indore
- Illegal pistol manufacturing unit busted in Neemuch, one held
- Fire breaks out at plastic bag making unit in Pithampur
- Commissioner seeks report on IET hostel vandalism, 18 students identified
- Three youths drown in Narmada in Dewas
- Ujjain man arrested for raping Mumbai woman
- Parts of 16 structures demolished for master plan road expansion
- Water scarcity hits premium townships across Indore
Featured In City
- Several shops gutted after fire breaks out in Hardoi
- ‘Ghar pe toh judge Twisha hi hogi’: Twisha Sharma’s playful wedding videos surface as police hunt absconding husband
- DRI seizes RS 10.48 crore heroin from Kathmandu-Delhi bus passenger in Lucknow, Mizoram man offered rs 50k arrested
- American names, fake QuickBooks badges, and Rs 40 crore: How 2 Bengaluru techies ran a shadow tax empire
- India-Bangladesh border fencing work begins in West Bengal's Siliguri after land transfer to BSF
- Bengaluru braces for wet spell as IMD issues yellow alert for heavy rain, thunderstorms till May 25
- '2 days, 2 hours, and 20 minutes': Twisha Sharma's mother-in-law claims discrepancy in DVR contents, flags doctored WhatsApp text
Photostories
- Dowry harassment to divorce settlement: 5 Indian marital cases that changed marriage rights for women
- Could a human survive an anaconda squeeze?
- 8 smart air fryer hacks that will make cooking easier
- Why many eye diseases show no symptoms in the beginning
- 10 legal documents you must check before buying a property in India
- Nelson Mandela quotes that define courage, leadership, and resilience
- 10 traditional Indian foods that PM Modi gifted world leaders during his 5-nation tour
- The monsoon gardening mistakes attracting mosquitoes to Indian homes
- Art quote of the day by Marc Chagall: “Great art picks up where nature ends”
- The best types of exercise for lowering colon cancer risk
Videos
- Marco Rubio Calls India “Great Ally”, Says US Ready To Sell Massive Energy Supply To New Delhi
- Bhojshala Dispute Reaches Supreme Court As Muslim Side Challenges MP High Court Temple Verdict
- FIR Filed Against Parambrata Chattopadhyay & Swastika Mukherjee Over 2021 Social Media Posts
- FIR Filed Against Parambrata Chattopadhyay & Swastika Mukherjee Over 2021 Social Media Posts
04:03 “Viksit Bharat 2047 Is Our Commitment”: PM Modi Pushes Faster Governance At Key Ministers’ Meet- CBI Frees UP Man In Suvendu Adhikari PA Murder Case; Raj Singh Alleges Torture, Encounter Threat
07:37 Calcutta High Court Junks Pleas On West Bengal Cattle Slaughter Rules Ahead Of Bakr Eid03:04 ‘Menon’ Surname Row: VD Satheesan Faces Heat From Kerala Congress Leaders Over Oath Name Choice03:23 IUML And VCK To Also Join Vijay Cabinet In Tamil Nadu, Expansion Tomorrow: Report
Top Trends
Up Next
Follow Us On Social Media