Rs 600 crore railway land, 500 hutments, Eid fears: Why Mumbai’s massive eviction drive exploded into chaos
MUMBAI: In the biggest anti-encroachment operations undertaken by Western Railway till date in Mumbai, officials began demolishing hundreds of structures at Garib Nagar near Bandra railway station after securing clearance from the courts.
The drive, which started on Tuesday and continued amid violence on Wednesday, is aimed at reclaiming nearly 5,200 square metres of railway land estimated to be worth around Rs 600 crore.
Authorities said the settlement had expanded dangerously close to active railway infrastructure, including Harbour line tracks and overhead electric equipment (OHE) masts. Several multi-storey slum structures had reportedly risen above the height of nearby footbridges, raising safety concerns for train operations and future railway expansion.
Also read: Eviction drive at Mumbai’s Bandra leaves children and elderly without shelter in scorching heat
What triggered the demolition
According to railway officials, proceedings under the Public Premises Act began before 2017, and eviction orders were issued on November 27, 2017. The matter then remained tied up in litigation before the Bombay high court and later the Supreme Court of India.
A Bombay high court order dated April 29 this year, later upheld in further proceedings and not stayed by the Supreme Court, allowed authorities to remove unauthorised encroachments while protecting structures found eligible through a joint survey process.
Western Railway said around 500 hutments had been identified for demolition, while nearly 100 structures deemed eligible for rehabilitation or alternate accommodation were left untouched.
Railway expansion plans behind the clearance
The reclaimed land is expected to be used for major railway infrastructure expansion around Bandra station. Western Railway plans integrated development for both suburban and long-distance train operations as part of Mumbai’s future capacity augmentation projects.
Officials said the land around Bandra station is strategically important because of its proximity to the railway corridor and the nearby Bandra-Kurla Complex business district. Authorities have long viewed the dense settlement as both a safety hazard and an obstruction to planned infrastructure integration.
Massive deployment for the operation
The demolition drive began with heavy security deployment. Authorities stationed around 400 police personnel, 400 GRP and RPF staff, and nearly 200 railway officials and workers in the area.
To maintain law and order, several access points leading into Garib Nagar were sealed, including:
Roads around Bandra station and Bandra Terminus were barricaded, triggering severe traffic congestion and forcing many rail passengers to walk with luggage after vehicles were diverted.
Also read: 7 cops injured in stone-pelting during anti-encroachment drive in Mumbai slum
Violence erupts on second day
While the demolition initially proceeded peacefully on Wednesday morning, tensions escalated around 3 pm when officials moved to raze an allegedly illegal prayer structure near the Bandra East skywalk. Authorities also claimed that a private telecom tower had been installed there illegally.
Police said protesters hurled stones, utensils and other objects at demolition teams, prompting a lathicharge. Seven policemen and six protesters were injured, while 10 people were detained.
An FIR was registered at Nirmal Nagar Police Station for unlawful assembly, rioting and assault on government officials. The injured were treated at Bhabha Hospital and V N Desai Hospital. Two injured persons — one policeman and one protester — were admitted and reported to be stable.
Additional Commissioner of Police Abhinav Deshmukh warned of strict legal action against those involved in the violence.
Residents allege lack of rehabilitation
Many residents claimed they had lived in Garib Nagar for decades and possessed civic documents such as house tax papers, water tax receipts and authorised electricity connections issued by the BMC.
Also read: BMC takes action on contractors working on Sewri-Worli road project, imposes penalty of Rs 1.39 crore on MMRDA
Families alleged they were either given very little time to vacate or no proper rehabilitation arrangements before the demolitions. As bulldozers moved through the locality, many residents — including children, senior citizens and newborns — were seen sitting outdoors beside salvaged belongings under intense heat.
Several residents also expressed anger that the demolitions came days before Eid celebrations on May 27. Locals said preparations for the festival were underway when the operation began.
Some residents argued that earlier political leaders had assured protection to the settlement and said the government should provide compensation or alternate housing before carrying out demolitions.
By the end of the second day, authorities said nearly 60% of the demolition work had been completed. Western Railway has indicated that the operation will continue till May 23 under tight security arrangements.
Also read: Eviction drive at Mumbai’s Bandra leaves children and elderly without shelter in scorching heat
What triggered the demolition
According to railway officials, proceedings under the Public Premises Act began before 2017, and eviction orders were issued on November 27, 2017. The matter then remained tied up in litigation before the Bombay high court and later the Supreme Court of India.
A Bombay high court order dated April 29 this year, later upheld in further proceedings and not stayed by the Supreme Court, allowed authorities to remove unauthorised encroachments while protecting structures found eligible through a joint survey process.
Railway expansion plans behind the clearance
Officials said the land around Bandra station is strategically important because of its proximity to the railway corridor and the nearby Bandra-Kurla Complex business district. Authorities have long viewed the dense settlement as both a safety hazard and an obstruction to planned infrastructure integration.
The demolition drive began with heavy security deployment. Authorities stationed around 400 police personnel, 400 GRP and RPF staff, and nearly 200 railway officials and workers in the area.
To maintain law and order, several access points leading into Garib Nagar were sealed, including:
- The BMC skywalk
- The Churchgate-end pedestrian bridge
- The Virar-end foot overbridge exit
Also read: 7 cops injured in stone-pelting during anti-encroachment drive in Mumbai slum
Violence erupts on second day
While the demolition initially proceeded peacefully on Wednesday morning, tensions escalated around 3 pm when officials moved to raze an allegedly illegal prayer structure near the Bandra East skywalk. Authorities also claimed that a private telecom tower had been installed there illegally.
Police said protesters hurled stones, utensils and other objects at demolition teams, prompting a lathicharge. Seven policemen and six protesters were injured, while 10 people were detained.
An FIR was registered at Nirmal Nagar Police Station for unlawful assembly, rioting and assault on government officials. The injured were treated at Bhabha Hospital and V N Desai Hospital. Two injured persons — one policeman and one protester — were admitted and reported to be stable.
Additional Commissioner of Police Abhinav Deshmukh warned of strict legal action against those involved in the violence.
Residents allege lack of rehabilitation
Also read: BMC takes action on contractors working on Sewri-Worli road project, imposes penalty of Rs 1.39 crore on MMRDA
Families alleged they were either given very little time to vacate or no proper rehabilitation arrangements before the demolitions. As bulldozers moved through the locality, many residents — including children, senior citizens and newborns — were seen sitting outdoors beside salvaged belongings under intense heat.
Several residents also expressed anger that the demolitions came days before Eid celebrations on May 27. Locals said preparations for the festival were underway when the operation began.
By the end of the second day, authorities said nearly 60% of the demolition work had been completed. Western Railway has indicated that the operation will continue till May 23 under tight security arrangements.
Comments (232)
S
Sandeep MandalMost Interacted
5 hours ago
Poor people have to pay for voting in the name of Ram mandir and cows...Read More
41 Replies
29
302
Reply
end of article
In Mumbai
- Big boost for commuters: 1st girder installed on Mumbai freeway’s Chedda–Anand Nagar stretch; what we know
- Nobel laureates to attend peace conference in city today
- IIT Bombay placements 2024–25: Fewer offers, higher salaries despite global hiring
- Mumbai demolition flashpoint: 16 arrested, charged with rioting after stone-pelting leaves 5 cops injured
- After violent clashes, Mumbai’s Bandra Garib Nagar demolition drive enters Day 3 amid tight security
- Mumbai demolition drive: What we know so far
- Rs 600 crore railway land, 500 hutments, Eid fears: Why Mumbai’s massive eviction drive exploded into chaos
Featured In City
- Twisha Sharma's family to approach Jabalpur HC seeking cancellation of mother-in-law's anticipatory bail
- IIT Bombay placements 2024–25: Fewer offers, higher salaries despite global hiring
- BMC empties Bandra Talao to revive the heritage lake
- BJP slams Akhilesh over ‘PDA audit’
- CM orders strict action against drunk driving, overspeeding & illegal vehicles
- BJP at the helm of ‘reservation scam’ in UP, alleges Akhilesh
- Air like a furnace, streets empty: Heat hits you first as you enter world’s hottest city Banda
Photostories
- Love nail art but nails keep breaking? Use rice water this way if you want STRONG NAILS
- 10 ways to stay calm under pressure, as per psychology
- The best flowers, herbs, and vegetables to plant in June in the UK
- From Sapera to Irulas: Famous snake tribes of India and why they fascinate travellers from the world over
- 6 beverages a Harvard doctor drinks to keep his gut healthy
- Love quote of the day by Maya Angelou: "First best is falling in love, second best is..."
- Kylie Jenner's home is where old Hollywood glam meets neutral calm: Art inspirations to take away
- "Main khud ek karz..." When PM Narendra Modi thanked tea-garden workers and why he can't enjoy chai like before
- Why your feet suddenly swell after sitting too long and what your body may be trying to warn you about
- 7 foods to always keep in the freezer and why
Videos
06:13 India Pushes Nuclear Expansion And SMR Manufacturing In Major Talks With US Delegation- Rs 600 Crore Railway Land Clearance In Mumbai Triggers Violence During Eviction Drive
- Bengal Orders Mandatory Singing Of ‘Vande Mataram’ In All Recognised Madrasahs Across State
04:19 PM Modi Returns From Europe, Calls Crucial Ministerial Meeting Amid West Asia Crisis- TMC Faces Double Setback As MLAs Skip Protest And Councillors Resign In Two Municipalities
- Falta Re-Poll Begins After Irregularities; Voters Say They Can Finally Vote Without Fear
- TMC Alleges Post-Poll Violence, Harassment Of Workers During Kolkata Protest
- Modi-Meloni Talks Boost India-Italy Defence, IMEC And Technology Cooperation
03:35 'India Won't Tolerate Any Form Of Nuclear Blackmail': Rajnath Singh In South Korea
Hot Picks
Up Next
Follow Us On Social Media