This story is from January 7, 2014

Will surrender when trial starts: Murder accused

Architect Anurag Garg, one of the accused in the Sunil Lahoria murder case, on Monday submitted an application before the Thane court, saying he would surrender before police only when the trial starts.
Will surrender when trial starts: Murder accused
MUMBAI: Architect Anurag Garg, one of the accused in the Sunil Lahoria murder case, on Monday submitted an application before the Thane court, saying he would surrender before police only when the trial starts.
The court asked the Mumbai crime branch to file their replies and posted the matter for final hearing on January 9.
The Thane court was hearing the prosecution case of attachment of Garg's property worth Rs 100 crore.
1x1 polls
Garg had allegedly played a key role in plotting the murder of Navi Mumbai builder Lahoria.
"The court has already proclaimed Garg an absconder. His two anticipatory bail applications have also been rejected and yet he is making another application. We will oppose it," said a police officer. Crime branch officials suspect he is hiding somewhere outside the state.
Garg and arrested accused Suresh Bijlani reportedly planned the murder to settle some old score. Lahoria had filed several RTIs with the civic body and Cidco over FSI violations in Navi Mumbai. Garg feared that if he was exposed, his licence would be suspended. Hence, he along with Bijlani, hatched a criminal conspiracy and ordered Lahoria's murder.
On February 16 last year, Lahoria was gunned down in Vashi by two men dressed as security guards. He sustained five bullet injuries and chopper wounds on his neck and hand as he stepped out of his
BMW. Some onlookers had arrested the shooters-Venkat Shettiar and Wajid Qureshi- from the scene. The duo later spilled the beans about former encounter specialist Emmanual Ammolik's role in the case.
Mumbai: Architect Anurag Garg who is alleged to be the main conspirator in Navi Mumbai builder Sunil Lahoria murder case on Monday made an application before the Thane court saying he will surrender before police only when the trial starts.
The Thane court has asked the Mumbai crime branch to file their say and kept the matter for final hearing on January 9. The Thane court was hearing the prosecution case of attachment of Garg's property worth Rs 100 crore.
The court has already proclaimed Garg absconder, his two anticipatory bail applications have been rejected and yet he is making such an application. We will oppose it,'' said an officer.
Crime branch officials said that he is believed to be hiding outside the state.
Garg and arrested accused Suresh Bijlani reportedly planned the murder to settle an old score. Lahoria had filed several RTIs with the civic body and Cidco over FSI violations in Navi Mumbai. Garg feared that if he is exposed his architect license would be suspended and hence he along with Suresh Bijlani hatched a criminal conspiracy and ordered Lahoria's murder.
On February 16, Lahoria was gunned down in Vashi by two gunmen dressed as security guards. He sustained five bullet injuries and chopper wounds on his neck and hand as he stepped out of his BMW. The member of public arrested shooters-Venkat Shettiar and Wajid Qureshi from the scene of crime who spill bean on retired encounter specialist Emmanual Ammolik.
author
About the Author
S Ahmed Ali

S Ahmed Ali, principal correspondent at The Times of India, Mumbai, covers crime and related isues but sometimes he also takes up offbeat subjects. His interests: automobiles particularly bikes, and gymming.

End of Article
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA