Nashik: The hazardous well that claimed the lives of nine people, including six children, after their car plunged into it, was sealed with mud by the Dindori Municipal Council on Saturday evening.
Following visits by senior state ministers to the accident site, it was noted that the well was situated dangerously at the dead end of a concrete road. Immediate instructions were issued to the municipal council to fill the well, and the operation continued late into the evening.
Local resident Ram Pingal said the well had been at that location for several decades. "Despite villagers repeatedly raising concerns — especially after animals had fallen into it in the past, the landlord refused to take action," Pingal said.
He further noted that the barrier wall around the well was less than a foot high, making such a tragedy inevitable. "It took the lives of six children and three adults to finally get this well filled," he added.
Villagers alleged that the Raje family, who are among the affluent people in the area, ignored the danger the well posed to the general public. They claimed that the Raje family acted as though they were above the law by keeping the well in the middle of the road.
The villagers said one man (Sunil Dargude) perished alongside his wife and daughter. His brother, Anil, lost two daughters. Their one cousin lost his wife, daughter, and son, and another cousin his young daughter.
For the grieving villagers, many felt thatgovtfinancial aid cannot compensate for such a massive loss.
Dindori inspector Bhagwan Mathure said under the guidance of SP Balasaheb Patil, the landowner will soon be arrested. "We immediately initiated the process of filling the well in coordination with the Dindori Municipal Council," Mathure confirmed.
A large crowd of Dindori residents gathered at the site on Saturday evening as multiple trucks arrived to unload mud into the well, neutralising the site.