Chhattisgarh: 51 armed Maoists surrender in Sukma & Bijapur, carry rewards over a crore
RAIPUR: In one of the biggest coordinated surrender breakthroughs and hour before Union home minister Amit Shah's Chhattisgarh arrival, 51 Maoist cadres — including senior leaders, women fighters and armed operatives — laid down weapons in Bastar region on Friday, signalling a deepening erosion of the insurgent network in its last remaining strongholds of Bijapur and Sukma.
The surrenders also coincided with the visit of President to Bastar.
Amidst security officials under immense pressure to eliminate armed Maoists by March 31, the deadline set by Centre, the shrinking numbers of cadres have made the task even more difficult as the remaining ones have scattered in small groups- as little as five to six-in corners of villages and forests. Security personnel said that more than 150 armed and active Maoists are still present in Bastar, mainly in southern region.
In Bijapur district, 30 Maoists including 20 women, associated with the south sub-zonal bureau surrendered before senior police officers and central force commanders. The group carried a combined reward of ₹85 lakh.
Sukma SP Kiran Chavan said the surrendered group included four area committee members (ACMs), one PPCM, three Janatana Sarkar presidents, company members and party members, some of whom had been active in Indravati national park area committee, Gangloor area committee and west Bastar division.
Since January 2024, Bijapur district has witnessed 918 Maoists returning to the mainstream, 1,163 arrests and 232 Maoists killed in encounters.
The cadres voluntarily deposited cordex wire and gelatin sticks, and were immediately brought under the legal and rehabilitation framework of the state’s surrender policy.
21 Maoists lay down arms in Sukma
On the same day, 21 Maoists — including three divisional committee members (DVCMs) and five ACMs — surrendered in Sukma and they carried a cumulative reward of ₹76 lakh along with handing over a significant cache of weapons and explosives.
Among the surrendered were cadres active across Darbhа division, south Bastar division, Odisha and the Indravati area committee, many of whom had been involved in armed actions for over a decade.
The surrendered arms included three AK-47 rifles, two SLRs, one INSAS rifle, three BGL launchers, magazines, live ammunition, cordex wire, gelatin sticks and detonators, officials said.
Comprehensive development is reaching Bastar, CM Sai says after Maoists' surrender
Chief minister Vishnu Deo Sai said that Maoists have decided to surrender and return to the mainstream of society with rewards totalling over a crore. This is a positive outcome of our sustained efforts towards peace, trust and development in Bastar, he said.
"Over the past two years, comprehensive development — including roads, education, healthcare and communication facilities — has reached remote areas of Bastar. This has encouraged misguided youth to renounce violence and join the mainstream, reflecting the effectiveness of the policy of good governance," Sai said.
The sustained efforts of state and Centre, Bastar is steadily moving towards rapid and inclusive development, CM said.
‘Organisation shrinking, morale collapsing’
Bastar range IG P Sundarraj attributed the twin surrenders to expanded security camps in remote interiors, improved road connectivity, relentless operations by DRG, district force, STF, COBRA units and CRPF battalions, and the growing reach of government welfare schemes in once-cut-off villages.
Bijapur SP Jitendra Yadav appealed to remaining Maoists to abandon violence, stating that ‘Puna Margeim’ campaign guarantees safety, dignity and a self-reliant future for those willing to return to the constitutional fold.
With Maoist mobility curtailed, leadership thinning and recruitment drying up, security agencies believe the insurgency is now facing irreversible organisational fatigue, said officials.
Amidst security officials under immense pressure to eliminate armed Maoists by March 31, the deadline set by Centre, the shrinking numbers of cadres have made the task even more difficult as the remaining ones have scattered in small groups- as little as five to six-in corners of villages and forests. Security personnel said that more than 150 armed and active Maoists are still present in Bastar, mainly in southern region.
In Bijapur district, 30 Maoists including 20 women, associated with the south sub-zonal bureau surrendered before senior police officers and central force commanders. The group carried a combined reward of ₹85 lakh.
Since January 2024, Bijapur district has witnessed 918 Maoists returning to the mainstream, 1,163 arrests and 232 Maoists killed in encounters.
The cadres voluntarily deposited cordex wire and gelatin sticks, and were immediately brought under the legal and rehabilitation framework of the state’s surrender policy.
On the same day, 21 Maoists — including three divisional committee members (DVCMs) and five ACMs — surrendered in Sukma and they carried a cumulative reward of ₹76 lakh along with handing over a significant cache of weapons and explosives.
Among the surrendered were cadres active across Darbhа division, south Bastar division, Odisha and the Indravati area committee, many of whom had been involved in armed actions for over a decade.
Comprehensive development is reaching Bastar, CM Sai says after Maoists' surrender
Chief minister Vishnu Deo Sai said that Maoists have decided to surrender and return to the mainstream of society with rewards totalling over a crore. This is a positive outcome of our sustained efforts towards peace, trust and development in Bastar, he said.
The sustained efforts of state and Centre, Bastar is steadily moving towards rapid and inclusive development, CM said.
‘Organisation shrinking, morale collapsing’
Bijapur SP Jitendra Yadav appealed to remaining Maoists to abandon violence, stating that ‘Puna Margeim’ campaign guarantees safety, dignity and a self-reliant future for those willing to return to the constitutional fold.
With Maoist mobility curtailed, leadership thinning and recruitment drying up, security agencies believe the insurgency is now facing irreversible organisational fatigue, said officials.
Popular from City
- Father had live-in partner who died after falling from roof: Why Ghaziabad sisters’ suicide is getting murkier
- Ghaziabad sisters’ suicide gets murky: Father has 3 wives; police reveal what happened on night of tragedy
- Govt reshuffles 20 IAS officers
- Factory making ‘milk’ from detergent, urea busted in Gujarat; unit thriving for 5 years, items worth Rs 71 lakh seized
- Ghaziabad sisters' suicide: I wanted to raise them as Indians, they wanted to become Koreans, says father; rules out financial stress as cause
end of article
Trending Stories
- IND vs USA LIVE: USA need 113 runs in 60 balls to beat India in Mumbai
- T20 WC: Romario Shepherd's hat-trick leads West Indies to victory over Scotland
- Ex-New York Jets linebacker Darron Lee arrested in Tennessee homicide case, charged with first-degree murder in girlfriend’s death
- BMC: BJP names Ritu Tawde as Mumbai mayoral candidate; Shiv Sena picks Sanjay Ghadi for deputy mayor
- 8 hours of silence: How Delhi biker fell into 20x14x13-foot killer pit; 'was within 200 metres of home'
- Milwaukee Bucks vs Indiana Pacers (02-06-2026) game preview: When and where to watch, expected lineup, injury report, prediction, and more
- When was the last New England Patriots Super Bowl win? A look back at their most recent title
Featured in city
- Father had live-in partner who died after falling from roof: Why Ghaziabad sisters’ suicide is getting murkier
- Ghaziabad sisters’ suicide gets murky: Father has 3 wives; police reveal what happened on night of tragedy
- ‘Lost balance, foot slipped from stool’: UP woman accidentally hangs herself while shooting Instagram reel, dies
- Mumbai horror: 40-year-old man arrested for sexually assaulting female dog in Kandivali
- UP shocker: YouTuber Shadab Jakati booked for 'rape' after woman's complaint
- 'Historic moment': Who is Ritu Tawde? Meet BJP’s mayoral pick for India’s richest civic body
Photostories
- Mukaish to Rabari: Underrated embroidery techniques in India that deserve more attention
- 7 most colourful birds of Indian forests
- The 50: Major Fights That Grabbed Attention
- 5 luxury sports cars that combine comfort with extreme power
- Thomas Edison once said, “I’ve not failed, I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work”: 4 lessons it teaches students
- 6 celebrities who called out social media as ‘toxic’: Tom Holland, Selena Gomez, Kate Winslet, and more
- The ultimate footwear checklist every girl needs in her closet
- 5 mistakes to avoid when investing in under-construction projects
- From Anil Kapoor to Janhvi, meet ' Tu Yaa Main' actress Shanaya Kapoor’s star relatives
- Chennai airport soars: 80% on-time flights beat private giants
Videos
05:48 From Tamil Pride To Global Trust: How PM Modi Used Culture To Reset India-Malaysia Relations16:14 PM Modi In Kuala Lumpur Says India Malaysia Ties Are Rising, Unveils IMPACT Vision For Asia04:05 "To Benefit Farmers...." Shivraj Singh Chouhan Big Claim On India-US Trade Deal22:02 Piyush Goyal Says Agriculture Is Self Reliant Sector As India Refuses Farm Import Benefits To US10:55 From Design To Silicon, India Signals Semiconductor Breakout With Semicon 2.0 Roadmap05:52 MP Minister Vijay Shah Finally Apologises For Comment Targeting Op Sindoor Face Col Sofia Qureshi08:08 Turkey Sides With Pakistan On Kashmir At UN After Sharif’s Rhetoric On India's 'Integral' Territory04:08 'Home-Grown Ills': Islamabad Mosque Blast Triggers Blame Game As India Rejects Pakistan's Blame11:45 Ex-US Official Raymond Vickery Says India Outsmarted Donald Trump Chaos By Sticking To Trade Process
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment