NEW DELHI: Union minister Bandi Sanjay Kumar on Saturday said he has “handed over” his son, Bandi Bhageerath, to the police in connection with a
POCSO case.
Bandi Sanjay, former chief of the BJP’s Telangana unit, asserted that “all are equal before the law.”
"Satyameva Jayate. With utmost respect for the law and judiciary, today my son Bandi Bhageerath went before the Telangana Police through our advocates for investigation. I have said this before too: whether it is my own son or a common citizen, everyone is equal before the law," the MoS (Home) posted on X.
"My son has consistently maintained that he has committed no mistake. After consulting legal experts and placing before them the evidence available with us, we were advised that the matter would be addressed appropriately through the legal process," he added.
Bandi Sanjay further stated that although court orders are expected next week, he felt there should be "no hesitation" in cooperating with the police.
"At the same time, I believe in fully cooperating with the investigation and respecting the judicial system. Even though court proceedings are underway and orders are expected next week, and despite advice from our legal team, I felt there should be no hesitation from our side in cooperating with the inquiry.
I have complete faith in the justice system. Justice may be delayed, but not denied," the minister wrote.
However, Cyberabad Police commissioner Dr M Ramesh denied it was a surrender and said Bhageerath had been apprehended on the outskirts of Hyderabad.
"Petbasheerabad POCSO case accused Bandi Bhageerath has been apprehended on the outskirts of Hyderabad city and is being shifted to the police station for further legal procedures. It was not a surrender," he said.
Bandi Sanjay maintained that his son himself appeared before the police and also shared a photograph of what he claimed was Bhageerath leaving for questioning.
Later, Sanjay reaffirmed the innocence of his son and thanked his supporters. "Over the past one week, my family has gone through one of the most emotionally difficult phases of our lives. There were moments of pain, anxiety, helplessness and deep emotional strain. The situation affected my entire family deeply. My mother suffered a heart stroke during this difficult phase, which was very traumatic. But in these testing times, the immense love & support extended by lakhs of people across the country gave me strength to stand firm," he said in a 2nd post about the situation on X.
"I sincerely thank every BJP karyakarta, leader, supporter, friend, member of the media and social media who stood by us, spoke for us, prayed for us and gave us emotional support. From remote villages to cities, from young to old, countless people reached out with concern and affection. Many who believed in fairness and justice chose to stand with truth despite immense pressure and targeting. I will always remain grateful for that support. Honestly, I never realized I had earned so much love and goodwill over the years. Your affection & blessings are my greatest strength," he added.
Further staying firm on his son's inncence, Sanjay said his family had complete faith in the legal process and judiciary, and expressed confidence that the truth would prevail. Calling it a personal family matter, he said they would continue to fight the case legally. He also appealed to BJP workers and supporters not to get emotionally distracted and to continue strengthening the party in Telangana, adding that his family would face the difficult phase with “courage, patience and faith; also asserting "Justice may be delayed, but it will not be denied."
The development came a day after the Telangana high court declined to grant Bhageerath interim protection from arrest.
Justice T Madhava Devi heard the matter until nearly midnight and indicated that orders would be issued on the next vacation court day. Bhageerath’s counsel sought interim protection from arrest until the orders were pronounced.
The case was registered on May 8 under relevant sections of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) and the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act (POCSO) against Bhageerath, based on a complaint filed by the mother of a 17-year-old girl. The complainant alleged that Bhageerath was in a relationship with her daughter and had sexually harassed the minor.
After the victim’s statement was recorded, more stringent provisions of the POCSO Act were invoked in the case.
Bhageerath later filed a counter-complaint with the police in Karimnagar, alleging that the girl had invited him to family functions and group gatherings. An FIR was subsequently registered on his complaint.
In his complaint, Bhageerath said he accompanied the family on visits to certain holy places as part of a group of friends, believing them to be “trustworthy”. He further alleged that the girl and her parents later pressured him to marry her. When he refused, they allegedly demanded money and threatened to file false complaints against him if he failed to pay.
He claimed that, out of fear, he paid Rs 50,000 to the girl’s father, but the family later demanded Rs 5 crore. Bhageerath also alleged that they threatened that the girl’s mother would die by suicide if he did not meet their demands.